Aug 10, 2019, 03:06 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

MrJan's F-35B STOVL EDF 1/12

MrJan's F-35B STOVL EDF 1/12

Designers words
The first idea for this aircraft was... It must be principally airplane not any version of multi copter. I want to do some practical STOVL aircraft. Make it easy to takeoff and landing. Enable fly slowly when near ground but also fly fast when air born. I want control stall.

Why F-35B? It was so close my idea that I wanted to do it look like F-35. Even though there is fundamental differences. Main difference is front fan which rotate like rear fan. The idea is that I want to use all the power when fly horizontal. (I can also lock front fan and mimic F-35B).

Why 1/12 scale? I don’t know why. It is big and fun. Bigger planes fly so much better than smaller. And I have lot of recycle parts for this size aircraft. And I am used to build these crafts as hobby. Although this is the heaviest aircraft I ever build (7 kg).
Some specs
  • Main thrusters, 2*120mm EDF
  • Wing stabilators, 2*50mm EDF
  • Building materials, different foams and composite, some carbon
  • Designer, builder and pilot, MrJan
  • Stabilization, 7 airplane gyros, one for each motor and 3-axis
  • Total weight 7 kg

Below 3D model of my idea and more detailed specs. Many of those are approximate. Mostly wanted to see what it would be:
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 03:21 AM
Thread OP
Main motor 120mm EDF with vectoring (see picture). I have 2 of those.
Aug 10, 2019, 07:49 AM
Jan,,, cool idea ,,, keep us posted on your progress ..... " go big or go home " right
Aug 10, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Go big or go home. I like that. 😃

In fact the aircraft is ready. I try to collect my notes. ..

Big weight is difficult. Can't do much mistakes. Always next flight might be the last one. And I am pretty much nervous when test it. Some heavy landing and you know what to do next few days.
Aug 10, 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Big weight is difficult. Can't do much mistakes. Always next flight might be the last one. And I am pretty much nervous when test it.
I understand this very well as I did a 1/6 scale vtol many yrs ago and had that feeling every time I flew it
Aug 10, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
And high speed is as scary as heavy weight. What a horor movie! 😁
Aug 10, 2019, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
This is how it look like.

MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF (0 min 11 sec)
Last edited by MrJan; Aug 10, 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:01 AM
That is a beauty, nice work !
Aug 12, 2019, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Thanks v22chap!

Vertical takeoff is not the aim in this project. It is more like curiosity. Thats why i call this STOVL. I think it is not any practical for EDF aircraft as long as we donīt have better batteries (cituation might change in near future). That takeoff (see video) suck up 150 A. Ok it is possible... Most important I proved myself I can control aircraft anytime (at least I have control power to that). Also when stall.

On video helicopter style vertical takeoff (see videos below). Some videos are slow motion! I didnīt know the sound is so loud. My friends can hear it kilometer away when i test it. As you can see I dont have acceleration sensors or onboard computer. I have only "soft" rate style gyros. So I must control aircraft myself. Gyros only slow down the movement. This is not multicopter this is furious airplane.

some videos are slow motion
MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF vertical take off helicopter style SM8 (1 min 44 sec)

MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF vertical take off helicopter style (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by MrJan; Aug 12, 2019 at 04:11 AM.
Aug 12, 2019, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
duster

MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF vertical takeoff duster (0 min 31 sec)
Aug 12, 2019, 08:07 AM
I would say you are doing really good with only rate gyros on it and no quad like heading hold / gps flight controller . She seems to want to fly forward and go !!!
But take you time and be patient as the batteries will catch up to you future thinkers !!! Just enjoy it as a STOL for now .. It is a nice bird just for that and conventional flight . Very good job !!!
Aug 12, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
To be exact I have one head hold gyro there. It is yaw gyro which automaticly connect only when motors are raised up, vertical.

But I donīt think I need more head holds. I want to see and feel the aerodynamics.

I have done some vertical landings and have not seen such problems. Maybe later I will. Who knows. I can try head holds later.

Here is one vertical landing (see video). It is slow motion. No problems.

MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF vertical landing sm8 (0 min 42 sec)
Aug 12, 2019, 01:42 PM
Ya,, I would agree that you probably don't need any more HH gyros .. Yaw is the hardest axis and yours seems to be handling fine .. but I fly the Rotormast V-22 Osprey tilt rotor and it has all 3 axis covered by Futaba 520 heli tail gyros going thru the flight controller on it . It can be flown either in rate mode or HH ,,, but it is kind of a hand full in rate mode in hover .especially coming off power and settling in for a landing .. but a pussy cat in HH hover and fast forward flight . I would try HH maybe later just so you can concentrate more on other controls ,,, if you go beyond the STOL model and try to make a conversion into forward flight as you need all the help you can get in a conversion .
Last edited by v22chap; Aug 12, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Aug 12, 2019, 02:53 PM
I would say you are doing incredibly well.
Aug 13, 2019, 04:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ran D. St. Clair! I have notice you can make and complete different type VTOLs. Those are great!

I think we talk with v22chap now many different things. Vertical take of and vertical landing are two different things. And I think we better talk about those differently. Also VTOL, STOVL, ESTOL, STOPL (perched landing) and STOL flights are own subjects. And practical EDF flights is different thing.

But about transitions.
I exceed all transition problems with high speed (as v22chat said she need for speed). I can do transitions when stay on the wings and have enough aerodynamic force and balance. Hardly notice when transition happend.

There is transition video from horizontal to vertical. First I have enough speed and aircraft is well stay on the wings. It continue fly with kinetic energy. Later motors are vertical and pushing body up against gravity. The speed drop down slowly and I can choose landing moment. I think it doesnīt stall at all in this video. But as I told I can control stall as well. By the way I land 90 degree accros runway (see video)

MrJan´s F-35B STOVL EDF landing accros runway (0 min 12 sec)
Last edited by MrJan; Aug 16, 2019 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply