Aug 09, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
New Product

HSD 90mm F86 kit on Aliexpress...

Just stumbled upon an EPO 90mm HSD F86 kit while searching Aliexpress.
Looks promising!

Check out the short video linked to the ad.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_52
Last edited by 4stripes; Aug 14, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
The kit arrived in less than 2 weeks and was carefully packaged with lots of foam. No damage only slight warp on the vertical stab and one wing. All flying surfaces have some internal reinforcing and the landing gear mounds are very sturdy. No extra work needed to make this thing fly and not fall apart. the size is 51" or 1300mm long and the same wingspan. Flaps, airbrakes already to go as are all hinges. They seem to have embedded plastic hinge material into the foam. Gave them a good pull and they are plenty strong. Canopy is included, and the opening is huge for battery placement. A cheater hole is located on the belly near the trailing edge of the wing. The front intake is too small to feed the 90mm fan on its own.
The scale is smaller than the Flyfly version but is close to the AVios Mig17.
Overall, I think it is excellent value for those who like to do a little self assembly. Much less work than the Flyfly models.
Aug 22, 2019, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Some pictures of the unpacking.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:32 PM
That will simply buff out
4Stripes - did you get the oleo legs that they were advertising or are going to do your own?
Aug 22, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
No, they didn’t look as good as what I normally use from HK.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:32 PM
Nice one 4Stripes, look forward to seeing it come together. It costs less than a FW F22 wing set. How smooth is the surface ? A bit difficult to tell until you get some primer on it I suppose.
Aug 23, 2019, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
It looks decent but they mimicked the panel lines a bit on the coarse side like Fly fly.
Aug 24, 2019, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Looks like Aliexpress has another 90mm offering.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...46472e0eGqAMiE
Aug 24, 2019, 02:06 PM
Hmmm, I almost got one however I have that euphoric "just got back from flying all day" feeling and I buy stuff when I feel like that.
I keep nearly buying the FW Mirage but it's too small. This 90 with 950mm span would be a good candidate for my last Jepe EPO fast foam kit. I'll see how Ifeel about it tomorrow.
Thanks for posting.
Sep 08, 2019, 02:42 PM
The main gear door servo location and gear door resemble the 90mm Exceed F-86. Only the stated wingspan is larger than Exceed F-86.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:36 AM
Cool stuff 4stripes! I subscribed. Received one these this week and am pretty excited about this slightly more challenging project than the typical FW/FMS assembly.

Right now, Iím working out the speed brake operation. I plan to use some of the FW pin type hinges and 3D printed an actuator arm connector for the inside of the speed brake. Also using a ball link from an old FW wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes
The kit arrived in less than 2 weeks and was carefully packaged with lots of foam. No damage only slight warp on the vertical stab and one wing. All flying surfaces have some internal reinforcing and the landing gear mounds are very sturdy. No extra work needed to make this thing fly and not fall apart. the size is 51" or 1300mm long and the same wingspan. Flaps, airbrakes already to go as are all hinges. They seem to have embedded plastic hinge material into the foam. Gave them a good pull and they are plenty strong. Canopy is included, and the opening is huge for battery placement. A cheater hole is located on the belly near the trailing edge of the wing. The front intake is too small to feed the 90mm fan on its own.
The scale is smaller than the Flyfly version but is close to the AVios Mig17.
Overall, I think it is excellent value for those who like to do a little self assembly. Much less work than the Flyfly models.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:03 PM
Success! After a lot of test fitting and copying of the Avios MiG-17 speed brake, here is my final product. Had to use one standard and one reverse 9g servo. The right side will go much quicker now that I have the prototype designed.
Sep 21, 2019, 05:19 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Nice job!
Sep 21, 2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks! Should get my retracts in this week and Iíll start planning the gear doors next. After that, itís pretty much just your basic assembly of the main airframe.

Going to see about putting an 8S System in it. I tested out the battery compartment and two 4S 5500Mahís will fit.

Helpful tip. Donít use packaging tape to temporarily hold the foam components together. It pulls the finish off of the foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlyn
Nice job!
Sep 22, 2019, 12:34 AM
HD: Have you tried painting on the foam surface? Herb in his build blog mentioned about using solvent to help paint stick.

I am thinking about slightly roughening the foam surface before light fiberglassing with HK 18 g cloth and WBPU or WBPA.

Also those pin hinges are perfect to make gapless hinges in modern jet models.

Quick Reply