Oct 22, 2019, 11:09 AM
Nice thing about modern 2/4GHz RC gear is that it has a short antenna and is nearly immune from motor brush noise, and metal on metal caused glitching/loss of control. There is no need for adjusting of critical plate voltage, tuning of coils or adjusting of sensitive relays. The total weight of the RC system is negligible compared to the weight of A, B and C batteries that needed frequent checking and replacement. That old galloping ghost actuator, etc., may be of some value to a vintage model plane fan. I built a two-tube transmitter and receiver back in the early 60's from mail-order kits. even baked RK61 gas triodes for RC use.For some reason the old stuff still looks interesting.

Sorry for repeating my self like an 80-year old which I am .
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
If you can get Taurus Flyer interested in the thread I am sure he could tell you just what was going on.... see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-channel-radio
Wow I continue to be amazed at the collective amount of knowledeg on this forum. I'll send him the link and see if he'll chime in.
Oct 22, 2019, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
.... I built a two-tube transmitter and receiver back in the early 60's from mail-order kits. even baked RK61 gas triodes for RC use.For some reason the old stuff still looks interesting.

And so it is. No matter how cantakerous or unrelaible the old components may be compared to today's you have to admire the ingenuity and creativity that went into manufacturing them. . A tangible glimpse at the early days of the hobby .
Oct 23, 2019, 02:47 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
I have seen your P.M. Seaview24.
I am still interested in the old vintage equipment but circumstances still do limit my time to spend time on it, it's a pity but ther will come better times.

I can write the only thing to do is reconstruct the original diagram. I didn't read the posts before and so it maybe is already concluded, then sorry but seeing the photographs it probablywill be a superregen receiver and yes it is a plug in resistor.

The sensibility of superregen receivers highly depend of finetuning of the wave form of the quench frequency oscillator. Because in that period no antenna signal amplifiers were possible also the antenna directly was coupled with the superegen oscillator, read tube. So maybe the coupling could be selected by plug in one of several resistors the builder had. When the boat is floating (?) in water adjusting the antenna damping this way.
Just a suggestion as I also did read other idea's can be right, it's guessing..

Reconstructing the diagram will show up in detail the functionality an function of components. Then, recalculating and measuring , visualize by oscilloscope can bring the receiver back to life/live? Costs some time but is worth the efford to save the receiver from the 'scrap yard'? Last thing to do is don't throw it away!

Cees
Oct 23, 2019, 03:06 PM
Now I read it's serial connected with the HT battery, it still could have had the function of go/no go or optimizing the working because the tension will be lower in time using the battery. Because too much (tension) can be too much for an oscillator and a new battery............guessing I wrote..........
Oct 26, 2019, 02:13 PM
Until we get a diagram of the receiver it's only guesswork. But there are not many components on that board , Seaview - it ought to be possible to draw up a diagram. Even a photo of the top and bottom of the board would be a help in determining what the receiver does and how it works.

A 27Mhz single channel receiver should be easy to get working, and you could easily build a transmitter to go with it!
Oct 26, 2019, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
I'm already comitted to upgrading the radio equipment to 2.4ghz and hiding it best I can. I'm keeping the vintage gear on board simply for asthetics and nostalgia sake.

When I get a chance I will draw up a diagram of the original wiring best I can.
Oct 28, 2019, 06:38 AM
Just dug out my copy of "Radio Control of Models" (first published in 1954) by G Sommerhoff. Couple of circuits for both hard and soft valve receivers which have a Meter/shorting plug socket in the HT battery line as noted by TF. A milliameter was plugged in and the current set for the anode of the valve, critical in the case of a soft valve receiver to below 1.8Ma for valve life. If the Pot value is around 5K, this would be in series with the HT + to adjust this and after final tuning the meter would be unplugged and a Shorting plug inserted.

Regards Ian.
Nov 02, 2019, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you have it. I wonder if this had to be done often - if the components are installed with such easy access as the pictures indicate, maybe this was a process undertaken at every sailing?
Nov 02, 2019, 06:18 PM
The detector of a super-regenerative receiver in fact is a quenching oscillator. Work point (setting) of the saw tooth wave of the quench frequency, is about 20 kHz and is very critical, one direction of drifting off the optimal setting the oscillator will stop, the other direction the detector will be insensitive. Drifting is depending of variation temperature and tension (voltage).

Photograph of one of my 'modern' receivers, finished a year ago, silicon semiconductors, 3D built-up ;-) with antenna signal preamp and nearly constant audio output over the range of the radio set. Output signals go to 4 tone filters with relay output, at the back, not visible. I have to smile when I see my products but, critical locations will be fixed with some melted candle wax so these are reliable. In air probably 2,5 km range, so enough. Superregen receivers can be made very sensitive and stabile when using transistors and some experimenting time. Photograph 2, the same receiver in the beginning, receiver board at the left side, stiil with germanium semiconductors, The new one is the fifth 'generation'........................ what a hobby, I could have built 5 models in that period. It's just what you like.

TF
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Nov 02, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Nov 03, 2019, 09:42 AM
Quote:
I wonder if this had to be done often
Serpantly did, every sailing or flight, thus pluggable meter connection. Ahh, the days of mounting Receivers in a bungee and running like buggery after a wayward boat/plane. In the days of such reliability (not) we were a lot fitter.

Regards Ian.

Edit, nearly forgot. Only one boater/flyer at a time, only the very rich were capable of selective operation.
Last edited by Circlip; Nov 03, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Nov 04, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Fascinating info, thanks to all for their input and photos.

Quick Reply