Sep 16, 2019, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool
Does anyone have a photo or sketch of what pin is what for VTX on the main board?
I want to replace the VTX with a more powerful one and want to make sure I get the connections right.
+1 on this, I have heard that the 5v on the board is a no no to solder to, anyone have a solution and a diagram for the best place to put a more powerful VTX?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan53
+1 on this, I have heard that the 5v on the board is a no no to solder to, anyone have a solution and a diagram for the best place to put a more powerful VTX?
The consensus seems to be get a HV VTX, and solder it to the battery pads or get a 5v BEC to solder to the battery pads then 5v to the VTX.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:30 AM
Trith_FPV
Battery pads is more than fine. I did it for mine. I'm running a VTX that can go up to 350mw. I have no issues at all and super clear video. IF you look more VTX are 7v and higher. Which is probably why people are smoking the board going to 5v. Its just not enough and the amp draw cooks the regulator.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:40 AM
I see the value in this little quad, I am taking chances I normally would not do with my larger quads. Definitely a good practice quad. Yeah, it's a little slow, the vtx and the rx are weak but if you play in its limitations it is a lot of fun. I've swapped out the props for the Happymodel Sailfly-X 65mm 2-Blade Prop, didn't like it, likely needs a retune. I am now trying Azure 2540 Tri Blade Props, which are a little lighter than the stock ones and seems to perform better on the default tune.

Hmm, I wonder how the motors would handle 3s, assuming the AIO FC / ESC is swapped out.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPoet
The consensus seems to be get a HV VTX, and solder it to the battery pads or get a 5v BEC to solder to the battery pads then 5v to the VTX.
Thanks
Sep 18, 2019, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1T0N
Battery pads is more than fine. I did it for mine. I'm running a VTX that can go up to 350mw. I have no issues at all and super clear video. IF you look more VTX are 7v and higher. Which is probably why people are smoking the board going to 5v. Its just not enough and the amp draw cooks the regulator.
Do you have a picture or a diagram of the way you wired it? My Eachine Micro VTX should be here in a week.
Sep 18, 2019, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1T0N
Glad that it works for you ! For me it didn't.
I used a 5V VTX (AKK nano) set on 25 mW on my Freestyle, hooked on the 5V pad and fried the FC after a few packs flown.
Replacement is on the way, will now use a HV VTX hooked up to the battery pads.

@Trajan:
see the vtx diagram, the corresponding pads are beneath it on the fc.
VIDEO (vtx) goes to VIDEO (fc)
AUDIO (vtx) goes to TX (fC)
and then you need to power your VTX. I hope you got a HV one that can take LiPo voltage, so that you can solder it directly to the battery pads on on the FC 5V pads.

Good luck !
Sep 18, 2019, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvo300
Glad that it works for you ! For me it didn't.
I used a 5V VTX (AKK nano) set on 25 mW on my Freestyle, hooked on the 5V pad and fried the FC after a few packs flown.
Replacement is on the way, will now use a HV VTX hooked up to the battery pads.

@Trajan:
see the vtx diagram, the corresponding pads are beneath it on the fc.
VIDEO (vtx) goes to VIDEO (fc)
AUDIO (vtx) goes to TX (fC)
and then you need to power your VTX. I hope you got a HV one that can take LiPo voltage, so that you can solder it directly to the battery pads on on the FC 5V pads.

Good luck !
Thank you
Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 PM

Data point for successful mods

Another data point for people looking to mod the Freestyle. I have these working successfully:

- HGLRC Forward Mini VTX (as seen on a few you tube videos)
- AXII micro antenna
- FrSky R-XSR micro RX with ACCESS/FPort

A few notes:
I went with the R-XSR RX so that I could use ACCESS for binding to my X-Lite Pro and also (hopefully) keep telemetry working. The good news is that it is possible! The THF only had 2 UARTs available, one of which is needed for smart audio, so I had to get FPort working so I could share telemetry and control over the remaining UART. To make it work I wired up the R-XSR using the un-inverted? (non-harness) smart port pad on the R-XSR and connected it to TX1 on the bottom of the FC. I then had to flash the R-XSR to the latest ACCESS + FPort firm and configure Betaflight to use it. Lots of videos about the process, so I won't go into details unless someone is interested.

After all that, this thing rips. I can finally fly for extended periods of time in one direction without losing video. I'm stoked!
Sep 19, 2019, 12:53 AM
anybody having some good PID for the dualblade HQ65mm Tprop. Mine seems to get many vibrations and occilation on the stock PID for the avan prop
Sep 19, 2019, 01:52 AM
Would this help with the VTX?

EMAX TinyHawk FreeStyle VTX/RX Sled

https://tinysleds.com/collections/ne...le-vtx-rx-sled
Sep 19, 2019, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwink
anybody having some good PID for the dualblade HQ65mm Tprop. Mine seems to get many vibrations and occilation on the stock PID for the avan prop
I just put the HQ65s on mine and it seemed ok, but I am a newb and I don't know what I am looking for. How does the vibration manifest itself? I'm probably getting it and just don't know what to look for.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Will the TBS Unify Pro32 Nano still work if I use 1s sometimes on my TH freestyle.

I see different input requirements for this VTX around on the internet.

I need to replace the stock VTX as it has way too much breakup and makes it almost unflyable in fpv, I almost crashed every time I try to fly it fpv.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
Would this help with the VTX?

EMAX TinyHawk FreeStyle VTX/RX Sled

https://tinysleds.com/collections/ne...le-vtx-rx-sled
Now this looks interesting. Anyone want to comment. Maybe switch it up and install a TBS Crossfire Nano RX. Will the 5v will still be an issue form the VTX though?
Sep 23, 2019, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime2fly
Another data point for people looking to mod the Freestyle. I have these working successfully:

- HGLRC Forward Mini VTX (as seen on a few you tube videos)
- AXII micro antenna
- FrSky R-XSR micro RX with ACCESS/FPort

A few notes:
I went with the R-XSR RX so that I could use ACCESS for binding to my X-Lite Pro and also (hopefully) keep telemetry working. The good news is that it is possible! The THF only had 2 UARTs available, one of which is needed for smart audio, so I had to get FPort working so I could share telemetry and control over the remaining UART. To make it work I wired up the R-XSR using the un-inverted? (non-harness) smart port pad on the R-XSR and connected it to TX1 on the bottom of the FC. I then had to flash the R-XSR to the latest ACCESS + FPort firm and configure Betaflight to use it. Lots of videos about the process, so I won't go into details unless someone is interested.

After all that, this thing rips. I can finally fly for extended periods of time in one direction without losing video. I'm stoked!
I have a new R-XSR showing up today and would love more details on this. Especially installation and configuration in Beta Flight. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply