Sep 01, 2019, 01:49 AM
Hi guys,

just put a XM+ in my Freestyle and am now looking for a good placement for the two receiver antennas.

I also have a new AKK Nano 3 25/200 mW VTX laying around and was wondering if it would fit the Tinyhawk Freestyle.
I mean it is a nano so it will definitely fit, but my concern is that it only takes 3,5-5V (no VBAT) and I'm worried that I'll fry my FC if I solder the new VTX to the 5V pad where the original VTX was mounted, because on 200mW it will definitely draw more power then the original one.

What do you think ?
Should I go for it or get a nano VTX that I can hook up directly to the battery pads ?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2019, 05:49 AM
Trith_FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1
Really like the camera mount...can you share the stl?

I want to do a new vtx as well....mine is really poor
Found it on thingiverse. Just search Emax Tinyhawk freestyle.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3825851
Last edited by TR1T0N; Sep 01, 2019 at 06:50 AM.
Sep 01, 2019, 05:50 AM
Trith_FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvo300
Hi guys,

just put a XM+ in my Freestyle and am now looking for a good placement for the two receiver antennas.

I also have a new AKK Nano 3 25/200 mW VTX laying around and was wondering if it would fit the Tinyhawk Freestyle.
I mean it is a nano so it will definitely fit, but my concern is that it only takes 3,5-5V (no VBAT) and I'm worried that I'll fry my FC if I solder the new VTX to the 5V pad where the original VTX was mounted, because on 200mW it will definitely draw more power then the original one.

What do you think ?
Should I go for it or get a nano VTX that I can hook up directly to the battery pads ?
You need a vtx that goes to vbat. Do not use the 5v pad on the FC or you will cook it.
Sep 01, 2019, 07:56 AM
Thanks,

i've just flown two packs with the VTX on the 5V pad before reading your answer because I just couldn't wait till I get another one ...

Everything fine so far, but I kept it at 25 mW.
But I'll leave it for now and wait for the TBS Unify Pro 32 Nano.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:56 AM
Mine arrived last week. I've changed out the dual jst connector for XT30, using the existing wires and rerouted the antennas. I've soldered up a XT30 connector to the other end of the jst connector to allow me to use the batteries it came with. I usually use flysky receivers, so there was a learning curve on binding the frsky receiver. Yes, the RX is a bit weak, but I am going to try to keep this model stock. If I change it up, I've got an old Runcam nano camera (original not the race one) and a flit14 RX for it if needed. The 25mw VTX is working fine for me. The field I fly this one on is only about 2.5 acres, so I get good signal across it. Hey and it's legal, fancy that! I've also adjusted my rates and reconfigured the ESCs for props out. I still need to waterproof it since even if the sky is dry, the grass may be wet.

Still waiting on 2s batteries, I do have a couple of 350mah 2s batteries to hold me over. I've only flew a few batteries on it so far, I do like how it flies. It kind of reminds me of my 5" freestyle copters.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:02 PM
FireHawx
Watch that flit14+ the range is terrible! I have an rx2a pro in mind and it fits and works well. I use the 1s packs and my tattu 450 2s packs as well. I made a jumper so I can use the xt30 and the p.h2.0 plugs!
Sep 12, 2019, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx
Watch that flit14+ the range is terrible! I have an rx2a pro in mind and it fits and works well. I use the 1s packs and my tattu 450 2s packs as well. I made a jumper so I can use the xt30 and the p.h2.0 plugs!
Thanks for that. I seem to be having good luck with the flit14, I've got two others and a Flit10. My rx2a pro has less range then the Flit's, but then again the antenna needs to be replaced now, came off on the last quad it was in. I'll do a proper test of my RXs when I get a chance.
Sep 12, 2019, 10:42 AM
I got mine yesterday and spent about 3 hours getting it bound to my Jumper T8SG and fine tuning it in beta flight. This is the first time I’ve gone thru that whole process and I think they could make it much more intuitive.

Anyway I’m taking it out this afternoon for it’s first real flight. I’ve never had an OSD on anything so I’m looking forward to having that.
Sep 12, 2019, 04:36 PM
FireHawx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPoet
Thanks for that. I seem to be having good luck with the flit14, I've got two others and a Flit10. My rx2a pro has less range then the Flit's, but then again the antenna needs to be replaced now, came off on the last quad it was in. I'll do a proper test of my RXs when I get a chance.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Flysky-w-RSSI
Have a look at this thread.
Sep 12, 2019, 07:20 PM
Got a test flight in today. Throttle needs expo which I can do but the pitch angle in angle mode is way too shallow. Do I need to go into betaflight to adjust that or is that a transmitter setting?
Sep 13, 2019, 12:19 AM
anybody some good results with the HQ dualblade 65mm. I tried them but man a lot of vibrations, and nasty sound :-(
Sep 13, 2019, 11:29 AM
aka KF7DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
Got a test flight in today. Throttle needs expo which I can do but the pitch angle in angle mode is way too shallow. Do I need to go into betaflight to adjust that or is that a transmitter setting?
In the PID Tuning tab in Betaflight, about mid-screen, you can change the max angle for Angle Mode. Default setting is 55 (degrees)...try 85

Don
Sep 13, 2019, 02:56 PM
Got one, and really like it. Put Andy RCs tune on it and it flies just great. To my delight, the plethora of batteries I have for my UK65 work better than expected. The Eachine 250s and GNB 260s give me about 4 minutes of flight time at a relaxed but fun pace and almost 5 min just cruising and hitting (or attempting to hit) gaps at the local park. This thing is small, lite, tough and quiet. I do not get weird looks at the park when I fly it (besides for my googles) and it is fast and nimble enough to hone some skills.

My only concerns are that the spi receiver is pretty terrible, and the vtx is almost as bad. Flying around my house brings a low rssi warning before I get 1/4 of the way around. I am contemplating a FrSky R-XSR Ultra SBUS/CPPM D16 16CH Mini, but know little about how it will work in the Freestyle. Has anyone tried one of these on the freestyle yet? For video I have an Eachine Nano VTX on its way. I figure I will fly it until i get bored of the or the weather gets bad, and then I will start upgrading.
Sep 13, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1
In the PID Tuning tab in Betaflight, about mid-screen, you can change the max angle for Angle Mode. Default setting is 55 (degrees)...try 85

Don
Thank you so much for that reply. I figured it was doable but I had no idea how to do it.
Sep 13, 2019, 04:43 PM
Does anyone have a photo or sketch of what pin is what for VTX on the main board?
I want to replace the VTX with a more powerful one and want to make sure I get the connections right.

Quick Reply