Aug 08, 2019, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hanger 9 Carbon Cub 15cc, With DLE20

Hello, I'm new here, and I hope I'm following the rules, but I wanted to post some pictures of my current build, I'm hoping that it will help other folks that are considering the same project.
I'm new to gassers, but have flown Nitro for many years.
Here is some of my progress on my new Carbon cub, with the DLE20RA.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 12:53 PM
Thread OP

More photos

Here are a few more pictures. Hope they help,
Aug 09, 2019, 05:30 PM
Hummmm...I too was considering this combo and your photos are very inspiring! Welcome to gas...and very nice work on the Cub, Thanks for taking the time to post and I'm eager to hear how things work out. Keep-on-posting!
Aug 09, 2019, 10:19 PM
Thread OP

you got it!

I finally committed to mounting the cowl.
I did some deep thinking on it because the engine is mounted a bit further forward, amd the firewall is actully angled to the right, I'm guessing to compensate for torque vectoring? But not sure if it should still apply, with a different engine mounted 90 different... But, a spinning prop shaft, spins the same if it's rotated 90 I suppose.
It has to be right, but it threw me off. So the cowl lines up just a little off center... I'll send pictures tomorrow.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:03 AM
Thread OP

And more photos

Nearly done now.
Aug 11, 2019, 01:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
I've seen much worse hacking jobs on cowls when a gas engine was fitted. Your is not bad, not bad at all.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:47 PM
Thread OP

More photos

I've now flown it several times.

I've had a problem. Crashed, repaired..

Short story is if you buy this plane take the gas tank that comes with it, and throw it straight into the trash.

Buy a good gas tank for it. Stay away from the dubro and sullivan style tanks.

But now, it's good.

I highly recommend you start with the manual listed high rates as your low rates, and bump it up higher for the actual high rates.

There's quite a few mods I've had to make, and if you haven't built many ARFs, and a kit or two, don't get into this project.

I've experimented with only a few props but so far, the best one is a master airscrew 16x8. I'm going to try a 17x6 Xoar next.

I've added a tachometer, and two voltage meters to watch the power supply on the ignition and reciever seperately.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:51 PM
Thread OP

Continued pics

Continued pics from last post
Had to add a body post from RC car for the door hatch. Works perfect.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thread OP

Continued pics

Continued pics from last post
Had to add a body post from RC car for the door hatch. Works perfect.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
I've also added a manual choke rod that pokes out the left side hole in the cowl.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Btw, with the 16x8 master airscrew, I'm seeing around 8,000 rpm.
Aug 21, 2019, 05:12 AM
Thread OP
The springs that come on the landing gear are junk.
The first time you have a rough enough landing to articulate the gear, they'll stretch out and not return to their original length. Then you'll be left with droopy landing gear.
I highly recommend you source some different springs from the hardware store.
There's a zip tie that holds the black covers on, snip it to slide the covers off and expose the springs.
Last edited by BigBee117; Aug 23, 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:16 PM
How did the CG come out on yours? Need to add any weight anywhere?
Aug 22, 2019, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
Oddly enough, no. I did not add any weights.

Quick Reply