Aug 08, 2019, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Great Planes Trainer 60 - Modified - Finished

I had this kit for quite a while, like 15 years, and I finally decided to finish it last year. This isn't a real time build log but rather one organized in building steps that I completed last year. I mean after all, I had all these pictures and where better to share them? So here we go....

I wanted to build a Maule float plane ever since I got a ride in one in Sanford, Florida off Lake Monroe. What a great flying plane, lots of power for float flying or banner towing. Anyway there were no Maule kits back around 1999 so I got a Trainer 60 and decided to change a few things so it might resemble a Maule. This is what a Maule M-7 looks and flies like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=B-CV6WSkd1g

The following are pictures of my Great Planes Trainer 60 kit build. I call the plane I built the Maule Sport. Call it a Sport Scale build maybe ???
Last edited by JimboPilotFL; Aug 20, 2019 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 07:41 PM
Trainer 40 was my first non-flat bottom and I loved it. Recently bought another one in the box on eBay.
Aug 10, 2019, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirion
Trainer 40 was my first non-flat bottom and I loved it. Recently bought another one in the box on eBay.
Yeah, they were great kits. I think they made a 20, 40 and 60 size. They were very aerobatic for a trainer? There were several built by members of our club.

Here is the next batch of pictures of the Maule Sport construction starting with the fuselage and then glassing the wing center section.
Last edited by JimboPilotFL; Aug 10, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Aug 12, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Working on the fuselage. The motor is mounted. The wing is mounted The tail surfaces are mounted. The landing gear mounted. It is starting to look like a model airplane.
Last edited by JimboPilotFL; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
The plane is almost done. Make the cowling, Clear coat the plane. Hook-up all the hardware.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
The plane is finished and it is time for the glamour shots both in the driveway and at the field.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
...and the first flight video.

Maule Sport Maiden Flight (4 min 21 sec)
Aug 22, 2019, 06:06 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
What engine is that? Sounds good in the video
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Aug 23, 2019, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird
What engine is that? Sounds good in the video
It is that Mutunuc .61 ABC that we were talking about in the 'Engines' thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-engines/page5
Aug 23, 2019, 12:52 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
ahHA, so it is. I was hoping it was. I have a tailwheel Bridi RCM Trainer 60 with flaps I built in 1976, and installed a Fox Eagle .60, the first version with the polished case. I forget what the airplane weighs, but that Fox climbs it pretty good, though not as much as your Mutunuc. It does, however, give me an idea of what that engine can do.

Speaking of Mutunuc...I looked around Google, and found a couple of articles mentioning the idle mixture adjust screw not working correctly, as it runs out of threads before the idle mixture can be leaned out properly. Have you run into this? It was said, you could turn the shoulder that bottoms out off with a lathe, and then the idle needle can turn down as needed for proper leaning. Have you found this to be so? My thought was, if that can't be fixed, I should get a Kavan aftermarket carb before MECOA runs out of them. I've also read a carb from an O.S. 60-size engine would work. Just curious.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Aug 23, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird
ahHA, so it is. I was hoping it was. I have a tailwheel Bridi RCM Trainer 60 with flaps I built in 1976, and installed a Fox Eagle .60, the first version with the polished case. I forget what the airplane weighs, but that Fox climbs it pretty good, though not as much as your Mutunuc. It does, however, give me an idea of what that engine can do.

Speaking of Mutunuc...I looked around Google, and found a couple of articles mentioning the idle mixture adjust screw not working correctly, as it runs out of threads before the idle mixture can be leaned out properly. Have you run into this? It was said, you could turn the shoulder that bottoms out off with a lathe, and then the idle needle can turn down as needed for proper leaning. Have you found this to be so? My thought was, if that can't be fixed, I should get a Kavan aftermarket carb before MECOA runs out of them. I've also read a carb from an O.S. 60-size engine would work. Just curious.
The carb on my engine has a brass pin on the throttle arm (low speed needle) that slides into a brass tube in the venturi as the throttle barrel moves back and forth to restrict the fuel flow at idle/low speed. This in/out adjustment can be tricky. If it goes in too far at idle and bottoms out you can't close the throttle all the way and it becomes a throttle stop. The low speed screw adjusts this pin in and out and is very critical. What I do is close the throttle until the guide screw stops the barrel and then adjust the low speed screw open a 1/2 of a turn. You can try more or less but I think that is a good place to start. Watch the pin go in and out when you open and close the throttle. Make sure it is not bottoming out. The low speed screw is very touchy. Try to make small adjustments like 1/8 of a turn or less.

The high speed is easy to set but the midrange and transition will depend on the low speed needle setting and your adjustment.

edit to add> When my Mutunuc .61 was new it leaked a lot of oil out the front bearing when it was running but that stopped after I had to change the bearings. Your mileage may very.
Last edited by JimboPilotFL; Aug 23, 2019 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply