Aug 08, 2019, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New RCF 39" Edge 540 V3 available at Twisted Hobbies!

The updated RC Factory 39" Edge V3 is now available at Twisted Hobbies!

Rc Factory's New Edge 540 V3 flight video (0 min 39 sec)

This latest version of the popular 39" EPP model has numerous improvements over the classic airframe making it more capable than ever. Along with a fantastic new look, the newly redesigned fuselage and a thicker wing adds up to a much more rigid model to support aggressive 3D maneuvers and a more powerful motor setup.

Carbon bracing has been added to the top and bottom of the tail section making it extremely rigid, the new design really helps eliminate any fuselage twist that used to be an issue with aggressive rolls. A newly designed thicker wing also makes the model tougher and more rigid.

The beefed up fuselage and wing also allow the model to carry a larger, more powerful motor combination. In the video the TW 2217-1170 motor (https://twistedhobbys.com/outrunner-...72g-tmw-motor/) was used along with the TW 30A esc (https://twistedhobbys.com/esc-twisted-hobbys-30a/) which provides an enormous increase in power over the typical 39" power setup. The extra power allows for larger batteries to be flown for longer flight times, more torque for 3D maneuvers and a much higher top speed.

New 3D printed servo horns and landing gear mounts are included along with the servo linkage kit. Assembling this plane only takes an evening or two thanks to it's intuitive and simple design. It's thick EPP construction makes it very durable even when carrying a heavier motor and battery.

Very excited to see what will be accomplished with this intense new model! The new 39" Edge V3 can be found here:

https://twistedhobbys.com/rcf-39-epp...540-v3-series/

Detailed build instructions can be found here:
Last edited by jamesnabbott; Nov 02, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 11:47 AM
Love this new model. Looks great James!
Aug 08, 2019, 12:08 PM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm
Love this new model. Looks great James!
+ 1 for sure.....
Bigger motor and a little more energy for the maneuvers sounds great. This looks to be a great solution for when you want something between the STD 32" and the Veloxity.
cdee
Aug 15, 2019, 06:43 PM
hey TH guys, I was just looking at this for a replacement of my aging (hundreds of flights) TH 39" Edge 540.
Great plane, I really like it and hoping to just move over my electronics?

-question: it looks like this model is several oz heavier?
Is it gonna still be fun or, do I need to move up the bigger 2217 motor?

-question: whats with going back to CA? No more Foam Tac ? Is the CA lighter or more rigid?
Thanks!
Last edited by alan1h; Aug 16, 2019 at 02:23 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 08:54 AM
Has anybody flown this?
Aug 17, 2019, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1h
hey TH guys, I was just looking at this for a replacement of my aging (hundreds of flights) TH 39" Edge 540.
Great plane, I really like it and hoping to just move over my electronics?

-question: it looks like this model is several oz heavier?
Is it gonna still be fun or, do I need to move up the bigger 2217 motor?

-question: whats with going back to CA? No more Foam Tac ? Is the CA lighter or more rigid?
Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response, its not much heavier, only a few carbon fiber bites and glue as well as some small plastic pieces. Believe we achieved almost the same weight on the V3 as the Classic series (original 39" models). The reference to added weight would be more so with the different setup. Yes, you can easily swap over the same power system as your other model. We've tested both systems, for all-out power the 2217 does have more pull out power, for light and floaty we are still recommending our standard power system setup.

Quote:
Has anybody flown this?
There should be a few video's floating around, unfortunately, not all customers do videos.
Aug 17, 2019, 09:04 AM
Great, thanks.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:44 PM
Mine delivered today. Are there any build instructions? I see only one pdf on your web site with build pics, is there anything else to assist in build?

Thanks
Sep 28, 2019, 12:27 PM
It Arrived the TH Edge540V3, initial opening of the box impressed. I've been building for over 60 years, this is a new style of building. Instructions non-Existent other than online. Building Instructions on RCGroup Build thread are wrong, no where does it talk about CF Bars, which are totally different than Rods. Numerous references to cutting slots through out the thread, no where does it mention that this foam has hard points and to be careful for tearing with and xacto blade. Found a razor saw worked the best with a clean cut. The PDF version is more exacting than the build thread as the thread talks about a Truss which never came with the V3 as well the Thread talks about CF Rods but never talks about Cross bracing CF Bars. The PDF version is more exact and Complete. 2 ea. 1 mm CF Push Rods weren't in the kit so had to order those today.
Paint Job on the fuse doesn't line up for nothing over a 1/2" off. Oh well I'm hoping it will fly better than the paint job. Which the video is what sold me on this in the first place. when you order the power pack with the kit, you would think they would include a battery.... Well that's what I get for thinking. Hopefully the rods will arrive so I get this in the air. This aircraft and all others should have a construction video or the printed PDF in the box, why make a customer have to go through hoops watching anything online?
Sep 28, 2019, 01:18 PM
Hi Scorpionjack, sorry to hear about missing rods and off printed, that isn't like Rc Factory though we always ask to reach out to us for any issues so we can help. Regarding this model's build thread, unfortunately, there isn't one yet, there is however still the classic series Edge 540 build thread which we believe you may have been referencing instead. Currently, Rc Factory only released the PDF manual for the Edge 540 V3. Sounds like your nearing the finishing stages of your build, hopefully, you'll enjoy your Edge V3 soon. On a side note, 60 years of modeling, wow, that sir is impressive and we salute you!
Oct 02, 2019, 08:58 PM
Team Twisted!
TH fans, new pilots to the TH club and potential TH customers....

The 540v3 came out not too long ago with the hope of being the perfect combination of size, power and ability. Everyone certainly has their own opinions about what makes the perfect plane.... in the meantime it looks like it is time to take a deeper dive. Stay tuned for a complete set of detailed build photos, and guidance for a successful and satisfying build. Will kick off later this week or early the coming week.. stay tuned... really looking forward to this build.
cdee
Oct 03, 2019, 05:54 AM
While it took a couple of emails to TH to figure out the carbon pieces, the plane is awesome! Flys great!
Even better than the last version(my old fav 3D foamy).
Oct 03, 2019, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Here are a few more photos of my build, hopefully they help anyone having issues! To clarify the 39" (990mm) ROUND ~2mm carbon rods are what glue to the top/bottom of the wing. The flat carbon rods are used everywhere else.
Last edited by jamesnabbott; Oct 03, 2019 at 12:02 PM.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:57 AM
When can we expect the detailed build with pictures?
Last edited by RCAV8R12; Oct 07, 2019 at 07:48 AM.
Oct 08, 2019, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee
TH fans, new pilots to the TH club and potential TH customers....

The 540v3 came out not too long ago with the hope of being the perfect combination of size, power and ability. Everyone certainly has their own opinions about what makes the perfect plane.... in the meantime it looks like it is time to take a deeper dive. Stay tuned for a complete set of detailed build photos, and guidance for a successful and satisfying build. Will kick off later this week or early the coming week.. stay tuned... really looking forward to this build.
cdee
Quote:
While it took a couple of emails to TH to figure out the carbon pieces, the plane is awesome! Flys great!
Even better than the last version(my old fav 3D foamy).
how much longer on the detailed build pictures?

Quick Reply