Aug 24, 2019, 01:18 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Eflite's video shows it hovering, doing flat-spins, high-alpha, demonstrates the unlimited vertical, and such. From the video, it's clear that the plane has GOBS of power on 4s & more than enough control-authority for most 3D maneuvers - limited only by the pilot's skill!

E-flite® EC-1500 Twin 1.5m PNP & BNF® Basic (4 min 0 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 24, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2019, 01:25 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!

Prop Adapters

I finally got to assemble this and these prop adapters remind me of the ones that were on the Pawnee/Brave Night Flyer as far as design & quality. The ones on the Pawnee would snap if tightened too much but were easily replaceable with a Greatplanes adapter.
When installing the ones on the 1500 EC using a 10mm wrench I noticed the adapter spinning on the motor shaft while trying to get the last turn on the nut. Grabbing the backplate and prop at the same time I was able to get it tight.
I ran it up in the shop a few times , checked them again and so far so good. Probably won't get it in the air until next week but will check them again after a few flights.
I understand how some folks who don't have much experience with electrics can foul this install up. A better made adapter would be a good idea in this case.
Aug 24, 2019, 03:46 PM
Alrighty, I'm back in the game. Starting over, but with the benefit of my mistakes, I have my second Spartan (I know E-Flite says it's not a model of a specific cargo plane, but I can call mine what ever I want) together and got in the maiden flight plus four.

When I got the plane together I took it out in my back yard and ran it up to full throttle. I was pretty sure I had the prop tight enough however, sure enough, the left prop left the plane. Fortunately, it was on grass and there was no damage.

When I was putting the prop back on and tightening the bolt I noticed that even though I was holding the prop, the plastic spinner base was spinning. It seems as I turned the prop nut the spinner base, along with the collet were spinning and not tightening past a certain point.

I was able to hold the spinner base and tighten the nut and I think that solved my particular problem.

I took the plane back outside and ran it up to full throttle several times, holding there for several seconds and the prop stayed in place.

I went to the field and got in five flights total. I am very pleased with the way the plane flies, though I think I may add just a little weight to the nose. I am using Admiral 3600 four cell batteries and the plane balances right at 67mm. But I like my planes a wee bit nose heavy as I think they feel a bit more stable that way. Those of you looking at this plane as an aerobatic machine will likely be happy with the way the plane flies right out of the box.

It has gobs of power on four cell. You can pull it straight up and climb until it gets hard to see. Or if you want it to look like a cargo plane you can poke around at half throttle all day. I set my timer to seven minutes and flying mixed throttle, but mostly sedate scale like stuff I show 60% left in the battery.

So, I think I have my prop issue resolved and the plane is a winner.

JB
Aug 24, 2019, 05:10 PM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan
GB,
As the first guy to report losing a prop, take my word for it, that crash was my fault and shouldn't be a factor in your buying or not buying the plane.

1, I "assumed" I had the prop retaining nut tight enough and 2, I did not do a proper full throttle ground test to ensure that the props were secure.

As far as I know there are only three reports of props leaving the plane and two of those were on the ground. When you consider there are likely hundreds of these planes in the air by now, three events are hardly a note worthy issues, especially when you consider at least part of that problem is human error.

Trust me, I haven't let it deter me from owning one of these and I am one of the whiners regarding the lack of retracts.

JB
I especially appreciated your post. It was mature and fair and objective, in spite of your having a less than great experience out of the box with your new plane. Sadly, many folks who have the misfortune of having a less than great experience with a model often come to the forums breathing threats and fire... with a revengeful and bitter spirit? I tip my hat to you good sir! And I am happy to see by your later posts in this thread that your persistence paid off and that you are now enjoying the model. Man, I sure love those props ... and that wide, cargo-is looking fuselage?! Yep ... this is me trying to convince myself that I “need” this model in MY hangar!

Another “JB”
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Aug 24, 2019, 10:28 PM
Here are some excerpts from a day of flying.

Sorry guys, no real aerobatics, I am a very tame flyer by just about anyone's standards.

(5 min 51 sec)
Aug 24, 2019, 10:56 PM
Fun until flying robots attack
Just sharing another report of prop departure...

No crash -- I was just taxi testing in front of my house.

I bought this plane because my daughter wanted something she could fly FPV, and land "ROG".

She is an experienced FPV Wing Racer, but will need getting used to a "complex" aircraft, as well as landing FPV. I'll be doing the LOS maiden, and the first FPV flights. ROG landings for FPV will also be new to me.

Now back to the story...

I knew right away from the small amount of shaft that is in the collet that it was going to be a challenge to get it tight enough without stripping or breaking the aluminum.

After she drove it around -- both FPV and LOS, I decided to play with it as I normally do for a new plane.

I "burped" the throttle to test things like initial acceleration, adverse yaw -- and yes -- motors and props. We are using a 4S 3500ma battery.

Sure enough, the right prop left the aircraft, and came to rest about 20ft. down the road. The plane yawed, and lifted a wing, but there does not seem to be any road rash.

I re-tightened it, and have since done numerous burps and full throttle run ups. We'll see how the maiden goes -- hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates. We plan on doing a maiden flight video.

In the mean time, here's a shot of the FPV installation:

Aug 24, 2019, 11:26 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
WVRailFan - Glad you finally got a successful maiden, and added another prop departure to the list of 3 which is now 5 (probably more)

VicT, thanks for posting that side by side comparison of a real prop adapter and a pitifully weak component. I knew from looking at the parts photos it was sub par ....

HH - thanks for posting a parts photo with the release of an item - I now know to wait for that in the future.

I didn't think I would have to replace the swash on my new S2 like many many many had complained about, sure enough, second flight it failed and crashed the heli but my 3+ year old oem nCPS one was still good. Then there are those poor QC 130S servos .... 3 new servos 2 self destructed within 5 non 3D flights .... one on ground after 1st flight, the other in the air causing more damage to the rather problematic heli that doesn't know where to keep it's tail and never did.

I gotta say I will have to pass on this one until the price drop, then I can outfit it with better adapters.

Matt .... please do chime in on whether that photo of the prop, spinner, adapter is correct in the manual, I can see how it could work that way but not sure the spinner would keep from wobbling, unless the plate is jammed up next to the motor, which should work if the bell is spinning on the front of the motor, not the back given the nacelle doesn't need to be cut down to do so.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:56 AM
Osprey
SilverSport, the 1500 is a great plane and if care is taken the prop adapters work fine. I think I would need a solder iron to get mine off now. They are rock solid with blue Threadlock used. I found you can put a finger on the motor through the vent in the cowling to keep the spinner plate from slipping. It is probably fine even w/o the TL, but it is nice peace of mind.

BTW in the back of the manual is an illustration that shows the correct assembly, the motor shaft is too short to be used any other way.

The EC 1500 is a fantastic airplane and it flies incredible well, the best twin I have ever flown. Today I am testing water balloons.

I would not be discouraged with the reports of props spinning off, just take our advice and pay special attention to that in assembly. You are missing out on a lot of fun if you dismiss this model IMHO.
Aug 25, 2019, 08:06 AM
Osprey
Nice video from the Capt Ryan, Pilot Mike team.

They love it but they also mentioned the collets, they used CA to fasten them.

So don't miss out if you are on the fence you will not regret this model it is so stable and predictable. Rock solid, and did I mention it has a huge presence.

E-flite EC-1500 Twin 1.5m PNP & BNF Basic Maiden at Dusk (11 min 29 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav
Nice video from the Capt Ryan, Pilot Mike team.

They love it but they also mentioned the collets, they used CA to fasten them.

So don't miss out if you are on the fence you will not regret this model it is so stable and predictable. Rock solid, and did I mention it has a huge presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itClVPa1n6A

Huge it is, Trundra will only transport it and maybe the Maul in back seat area, will not be taking 4+ planes to field when this one going.
Tim
Aug 25, 2019, 12:00 PM
I really don't understand everyone's infatuation with 3d capable. This would have been absolutely killer with retracts....oh well, go figure.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:15 PM
This non scale cargo 3Dish plane does Not need any Stinking retracts period. So many scale only Snobs just don't get it....HA....
Aug 25, 2019, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
This non scale cargo 3Dish plane does Not need any Stinking retracts period. So many scale only Snobs just don't get it....HA....

You never fail to put a on my face, & here's a couple more
Aug 25, 2019, 02:33 PM
AMA #937780
Just finished 2 more great flights. Just got some Turnigy 4S 4000’s and came. back with 3.92/cell after scale-like 6 minutes. (Except for the loops and rolls) Taxi out and in on grass. Really like this one!

G.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:36 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
I love the fact they made this plane to be able to do 3d... it’s great to have a versatile plane.

Quick Reply