Oct 06, 2019, 09:44 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalas
Putting center of mass higher makes things even worse, as far as tipping on landing goes.

The only thing going for Skydio 2 design is that the center of mass may be so low that it makes drone want to stand upright by it's own.

But just like with Mavic even the tipping problem has been solved you still can not land in most places because of the prop wash lifting all dirt and eating those props as they are so close to the ground.
That same low center of mass (and the quad's broad surface area) is what makes putting feet on the battery case so attractive. I have already placed aftermarket landing gear on both my M2P and my Spark, because the gimbal is SO close to the ground. The Spark uses it's battery case as a contact point for landings as well. Although, the gear that I have for those two quads actually attaches to the rotor arms. Not possible for the S2. But, for the battery case, yes. Only an inch or two, in elevation. That's all that's needed give the flyer that comfort zone, regarding the front props digging into the ground or the gimbal contacting some surface that interferes with it's free movement. You don't need to have physical damage to a gimbal to cause it to fail. The delicate electronics, software, firmware, etc. can be corrupted by inhibiting the gimbal's programmed and intended movements.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 07:27 AM

Decisions (to buy or not to buy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry
And, the whole 'only chargeable by USB cable WHILE IT'S ATTACHED TO THE DRONE' thing is kind of off putting. I'm really beginning to have some serious second thoughts about this. ...
I'm certainly watching this camera drone with the intent to buy, but it's definitely not for everyone. Here's my thoughts...

(1) I regularly hand catch (due to a 360-cam under the drone), but I just can't imagine inexperienced drone operators hand catching a brushless drone in all conditions. The storage case may suffice as a launch & recovery pad, but that could also prove tricky without some additional smart-landing features.

(2) If you already own a Mavic or EVO, and don't dream of following high-action scenes at close proximity, then you won't be missing much.

But I'll admit that the S2 looks pretty special. Even my own complimentary pair of Mavic 2's will find themselves collecting dust while awaiting those specialized opportunities to showcase their strengths (optical zoom, 20mp photos, low-light/night, extended range, flight time, etc.). Otherwise, the S2's [email protected] slow-mo, 10-bit HDR (13 F-stops), 100 Mbit/s (equivalent 150Mbit/s using the H.265 codec) -- should prove to be some of the best 4k video available short of the unwieldy P4Pv2. Then add in the ease-of-use, the action-shot capabilities, the increased safety factor, the industry leading warranty, the lack of NFZ, the phone/beacon/controller flexibility -- and I don't see a better, general purpose, consumer, camera drone available today or anytime soon.

(3) If there's one issue holding me back at the moment, it's the reported USB charging through the drone. The flight time isn't stellar so I'm planning to buy multiple batteries. I just can't imagine babysitting the charging process to that extent. So I'm literally waiting to put in my order for the S2 until (and perhaps unless) I see a proper multi-charger option.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
That same low center of mass (and the quad's broad surface area) is what makes putting feet on the battery case so attractive. I have already placed aftermarket landing gear on both my M2P and my Spark, because the gimbal is SO close to the ground. The Spark uses it's battery case as a contact point for landings as well. Although, the gear that I have for those two quads actually attaches to the rotor arms. Not possible for the S2. But, for the battery case, yes. Only an inch or two, in elevation. That's all that's needed give the flyer that comfort zone, regarding the front props digging into the ground or the gimbal contacting some surface that interferes with it's free movement. You don't need to have physical damage to a gimbal to cause it to fail. The delicate electronics, software, firmware, etc. can be corrupted by inhibiting the gimbal's programmed and intended movements.
Just wondering: wouldn't the Skydio just ignore everything that exactly moves along with it's own body? Within limits of course, but surely those navigation 200 degree lenses will pick up parts of its own fuselage/arms/props anyway and has an algorithm cooked in that's able (??) to ignore everything that's close to its body.
Oct 07, 2019, 08:12 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
And with that a couple of points as some of you have brought up on what it is or isn't and things to look for.

https://youtu.be/wK5LxgnDGsw
This reviewer thinks of himself as the smartest person in the room and that he knows far more than the "hundreds??" of experienced pilots out there that have paid a deposit to get the S2.

By concentrating on the unknowns he paints a picture of how uninformed most rc pilots must be and how wise his analysis is.

He also obviously believes its wiser to trust China than the US government and that China's rc know how will never be matched or surpassed.

His review displays a very obvious bias that most informed people will see right through.
Oct 07, 2019, 09:10 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven
I'm certainly watching this camera drone with the intent to buy, but it's definitely not for everyone. Here's my thoughts...

(1) I regularly hand catch (due to a 360-cam under the drone), but I just can't imagine inexperienced drone operators hand catching a brushless drone in all conditions. The storage case may suffice as a launch & recovery pad, but that could also prove tricky without some additional smart-landing features. Agree BUT hand catching is something that's not hard to learn... only something concerning in gusty winds.

(2) If you already own a Mavic or EVO, and don't dream of following high-action scenes at close proximity, then you won't be missing much.
Disagree... the S2 option with the controller will allow crash free flying at both near and far distances.... great for real estate and building inspections. I own a Mavic and spend far to much effort avoiding obstacles.

But I'll admit that the S2 looks pretty special. Even my own complimentary pair of Mavic 2's will find themselves collecting dust while awaiting those specialized opportunities to showcase their strengths (optical zoom, 20mp photos, low-light/night, extended range, flight time, etc.). Otherwise, the S2's [email protected] slow-mo, 10-bit HDR (13 F-stops), 100 Mbit/s (equivalent 150Mbit/s using the H.265 codec) -- should prove to be some of the best 4k video available short of the unwieldy P4Pv2. Then add in the ease-of-use, the action-shot capabilities, the increased safety factor, the industry leading warranty, the lack of NFZ, the phone/beacon/controller flexibility -- and I don't see a better, general purpose, consumer, camera drone available today or anytime soon. Agree ... smooth 4k video with no NFZ headaches is going to make both recreational and commercial flying a lot easier.

(3) If there's one issue holding me back at the moment, it's the reported USB charging through the drone. The flight time isn't stellar so I'm planning to buy multiple batteries. I just can't imagine babysitting the charging process to that extent. So I'm literally waiting to put in my order for the S2 until (and perhaps unless) I see a proper multi-charger option.
Agree .... USB charging by its very nature is the slowest form of charging. Skydio will surely eliminate this weak point by quickly offering a single or multiple battery charger. Charging Lipo batteries isn't rocket science.
Comments in Blue....
Oct 07, 2019, 09:13 AM
Regards - Randy
Quote:
What's preventing someone from constructing a 'snap on' type of four legged landing gear that mounts directly to the battery, and elevates the quad just an inch or two? I'll bet that someone with a 3D printer comes up just that, just as soon as he gets his hands on the S2.
I hope you’re right!

(Edit)I do agree that Hand Catching can be learned, but not at the price of injury - especially injury to a child...
Also, Hand Catching is not something I would even attempt if the wind picked up or if I was in a boat. I would sooner try to get it to land on the deck of a boat or land on-shore and retrieve.. Maybe why I don’t fly from boats anyway.. Kids will want this!

Quote:

(1) I regularly hand catch (due to a 360-cam under the drone), but I just can't imagine inexperienced drone operators hand catching a brushless drone in all conditions. The storage case may suffice as a launch & recovery pad, but that could also prove tricky without some additional smart-landing features.

But I'll admit that the S2 looks pretty special. Even my own complimentary pair of Mavic 2's will find themselves collecting dust while awaiting those specialized opportunities to showcase their strengths (optical zoom, 20mp photos, low-light/night, extended range, flight time, etc.). Otherwise, the S2's [email protected] slow-mo, 10-bit HDR (13 F-stops), 100 Mbit/s (equivalent 150Mbit/s using the H.265 codec) -- should prove to be some of the best 4k video available short of the unwieldy P4Pv2. Then add in the ease-of-use, the action-shot capabilities, the increased safety factor, the industry leading warranty, the lack of NFZ, the phone/beacon/controller flexibility -- and I don't see a better, general purpose, consumer, camera drone available today or anytime soon.

We think a lot alike on this unit.

Some questions remain on Still Photography though .....
Will this drone be capable of shooting and stitching Panorama photos and/or Super Resolution photos (M2Z) ?
Will the camera point UP as well as down? Would be handy for people doing inspections as well as Sky Photographers such as myself....
Last edited by BigFQQT; Oct 07, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
Oct 07, 2019, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFQQT
Some questions remain on Still Photography though .....
Will this drone be capable of shooting and stitching Panorama photos and/or Super Resolution photos (M2Z) ?
Will the camera point UP as well as down? Would be handy for people doing inspections as well as Sky Photographers such as myself....
In-camera Panoramas and Super-res photos would be nice. I'm not sure if these extended camera functions are within the current strengths of this Skydio team, but there's no lack of talent in the U.S. or processing power onboard. This drone could even employ the GPU's for such tasks as time permits (queued). The sky is the limit with this hardware. So it shouldn't be a problem to add firmware features such as these if this proves to be a good seller.

I thought someone reported that it has 45 degree lookup without prop's in view...?
Oct 07, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Just wondering: wouldn't the Skydio just ignore everything that exactly moves along with it's own body? Within limits of course, but surely those navigation 200 degree lenses will pick up parts of its own fuselage/arms/props anyway and has an algorithm cooked in that's able (??) to ignore everything that's close to its body.
And keep in mind that all 6 cameras are functioning stereoscopically. So combined with their placement, at least 2 cameras will see and resolve distance to all objects of sufficient size, even if an object is obscured from view in the other 4 cameras.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:

They have indicated multi-charger is on the way as per FAQ

https://support.skydio.com/hc/en-us/...s/360036102374

USB-C charging doesnt have to be slow - USB-PD chargers can deliver upto 100W which is quite a bit for a small LiPo - but would depend on their implementation. My experience is with onboard USB chargers is they tend to get quite hot which isnt good for the chemicals in the battery or the onboard electronics (Had this issue with the Spark). Unclear if they're using smart batteries or dumb LiPos with the balance charging circuit independent of the battery (aka Hobbyist style).
Oct 07, 2019, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb1e
They have indicated multi-charger is on the way as per FAQ

https://support.skydio.com/hc/en-us/...s/360036102374

Unclear if they're using smart batteries or dumb LiPos with the balance charging circuit independent of the battery (aka Hobbyist style).
OH! Thank you! I definitely missed that statement buried in the FAQ. I guess I'll trust their promise of a dual 'simultaneous' charger coming in the near future. And I guess it doesn't matter where the smart circuitry resides, but some form of automated discharge to storage voltage is a must-have feature on a $1k drone nowadays.

So I think I'll reserve one.... hmmmm.... or await some reviews from the early adopters?
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Oct 07, 2019 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wording
Oct 08, 2019, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
OH! Thank you! I definitely missed that statement buried in the FAQ. I guess I'll trust their promise of a dual 'simultaneous' charger coming in the near future. And I guess it doesn't matter where the smart circuitry resides, but some form of automated discharge to storage voltage is a must-have feature on a $1k drone nowadays.

So I think I'll reserve one.... hmmmm.... or await some reviews from the early adopters?
If you have something else to keep you in the air, I would wait for the first user reviews and comments. Unless the money's really burning a hole in your wallet of course
Oct 08, 2019, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
If you have something else to keep you in the air, I would wait for the first user reviews and comments. Unless the money's really burning a hole in your wallet of course
Lol...it's still a major purchase for me.

And thanks for the healthy advice! Early-adoption can certainly be risky. Camera specs in particular are nothing without proper firmware support (Fimi X8 SE). And major quality control issues can crop up (Fimi A3 lense fogging). Parts availability, forced firmware, belated features and customer service -- are all among the 'unknowns' in the early stages.

I think Skydio will prove to be a trustworthy company, but you're right, there's no good reason for many of us jump on this drone purchase before all aspects of the user-experience become more clear.
Oct 08, 2019, 11:51 PM
Quote:

forced firmware, belated features and customer service -- are all among the 'unknowns' in the early stages.
The forced firmware updates are no longer an "unknown."
Their TOS require you to accept forced FW updates, for better or worse!

See below:

6. AUTOMATIC SOFTWARE UPDATES.

Skydio may from time to time develop patches, bug fixes, updates, upgrades and other modifications to the Offerings (“Updates”). Some of these Updates may be provided to you through automatic software updates. You consent to these automatic Updates and acknowledge that you may be required to install Updates to continue to use the Offerings. To the extent any Updates involve changes to the Terms, you may be required to agree to a revised version of these Terms to use such Updates. Cellular data charges may apply to Updates.

https://www.skydio.com/pages/legal
Last edited by Gadget__Guy; Oct 09, 2019 at 12:05 AM.
Oct 09, 2019, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget__Guy
The forced firmware updates are no longer an "unknown."
Their TOS require you to accept forced FW updates...

https://www.skydio.com/pages/legal
Ugh...please allow me to translate the legalese.

"This company exists for the benefit of its founders, stakeholders and customers -- in that order. But recognize that our existence is at least equally beholden to the increasing scrutiny and oversight of the governing authorities. Thus, features may come and go (think NFZ, etc) at our sole discretion, through forced updates as necessary. Note that nothing in this game of bait-and-switch includes us doing the right thing, such as providing partial or full refunds for the elimination of key marketed features, up to and including the entire utility of this drone, perceived or otherwise. If you have any questions, please refer back to our priorities as stated above. Thank you for joining us in this endeavor to bring these priorities to fruition."
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Oct 09, 2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Oct 09, 2019, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Manufacturing Skydio 2

Manufacturing the Skydio 2 #Drones (5 min 44 sec)

Quick Reply