https://www.cnet.com/news/skydios-se...66045493052837
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2019, 02:55 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
Some more background on the Skydio 2...

https://www.cnet.com/news/skydios-se...66045493052837
I've been thinking. I placed my name on the 'alert list' so I could get my deposit down in this bird as soon as it was possible. I'm pretty sure that I will be in the first round of orders released, in November. But, I'm beginning to wonder about my decision making process on this. I've been flying quadcopters and drones, LONG before DJI introduced the Phantom 3 Standard. And in all those years, with all of the nearly 40 quads and drones that I have, never, not even once, set out to do any target tracking videos, or videos that really required obstacle avoidance (beyond slowly flying past large objects like trees or buildings).

I've always done videos of fixed objects or settings where the quad is typically the only thing moving and I'm in clear and open settings. So, why am I ordering this thing? Because it's new? Because it's 'cutting edge' technology? When I get this bird, am I all of a sudden have the urge to go out and video guys on dirt bikes jumping canyons, BMX cyclists weaving through forests, or wave runners doing flips over speed boat wakes? I don't think so.

But, that is what the S2 is all about, precise target tracking, even through obscuring environments and the most intense level of OAS yet invented, all completely autonomously. It's the first truly 'self flying' drone available to the consumer. And, it's truly worthy of the curiosity of the US armed forces and law enforcement.

So, why am I buying this drone?
Oct 05, 2019, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry
If Skydio doesn't, I'm sure that there will be a plethora of landing gear alternatives (among other things) produced by aftermarket manufacturers, specifically for the S2.
I've been looking at the S2 in pics, and reading about the specs. The battery is held on with magnets. Not too bad of an idea for a bottom mounted battery. We've all heard horror stories of the Mavic batteries and Spark batteries coming unlocked from the fuselage and the catastrophic results. Also, the shape and weight of the battery indicate that it provides the weight, balance and surface for the quad to land safely, without the front props digging into the ground.

What's preventing someone from constructing a 'snap on' type of four legged landing gear that mounts directly to the battery, and elevates the quad just an inch or two? I'll bet that someone with a 3D printer comes up just that, just as soon as he gets his hands on the S2.
Oct 05, 2019, 04:10 PM
Quote:
I've been thinking. I placed my name on the 'alert list' so I could get my deposit down in this bird as soon as it was possible. I'm pretty sure that I will be in the first round of orders released, in November. But, I'm beginning to wonder about my decision making process on this. I've been flying quadcopters and drones, LONG before DJI introduced the Phantom 3 Standard. And in all those years, with all of the nearly 40 quads and drones that I have, never, not even once, set out to do any target tracking videos, or videos that really required obstacle avoidance (beyond slowly flying past large objects like trees or buildings).

I've always done videos of fixed objects or settings where the quad is typically the only thing moving and I'm in clear and open settings. So, why am I ordering this thing? Because it's new? Because it's 'cutting edge' technology? When I get this bird, am I all of a sudden have the urge to go out and video guys on dirt bikes jumping canyons, BMX cyclists weaving through forests, or wave runners doing flips over speed boat wakes? I don't think so.

But, that is what the S2 is all about, precise target tracking, even through obscuring environments and the most intense level of OAS yet invented, all completely autonomously. It's the first truly 'self flying' drone available to the consumer. And, it's truly worthy of the curiosity of the US armed forces and law enforcement.

So, why am I buying this drone?
I have not yet placed my name on the list. I am asking myself the same question, "Why do I want this drone?" Certainly part of the answer is that is the coolest new technology, but there is definitely more in it for me. The area I live in has lots of mountains, trees and such that make planning a flight path very tricky unless you go very high up. I have practiced shooting orbits of houses and find that I spend a lot of time finding a path that avoids trees, neighboring houses or other structures. The Skydio 2 is the first drone that can reliably avoid obstacles going sideways and find a path around them. It would be perfect for real estate photography.
I do a lot of whitewater kayaking and rafting. I also enjoy filming these activities. Neither my Mavic or Anafi does a good job of tracking a kayak going through the whitewater and there is the concern of hitting trees or rocks along the way. The Skydio beacon should solve the tracking issues and the obstacle avoidance should find a way around any obstacles.
Oct 05, 2019, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syotr
I have not yet placed my name on the list. I am asking myself the same question, "Why do I want this drone?" Certainly part of the answer is that is the coolest new technology, but there is definitely more in it for me. The area I live in has lots of mountains, trees and such that make planning a flight path very tricky unless you go very high up. I have practiced shooting orbits of houses and find that I spend a lot of time finding a path that avoids trees, neighboring houses or other structures. The Skydio 2 is the first drone that can reliably avoid obstacles going sideways and find a path around them. It would be perfect for real estate photography.
I do a lot of whitewater kayaking and rafting. I also enjoy filming these activities. Neither my Mavic or Anafi does a good job of tracking a kayak going through the whitewater and there is the concern of hitting trees or rocks along the way. The Skydio beacon should solve the tracking issues and the obstacle avoidance should find a way around any obstacles.
I have four DJI's, P3P, P4P+, M2P and Spark. I can't fly all of them at the same time. I also have a Solo, three (or four) X-380's and several other lesser quads. I didn't buy them because I needed them. I think that any reasonable person would have bought ONE really good quad. And then be happy with that one until it was made obsolete by advances in technology that they felt were truly vital to their needs. I have to admit that this is more than a simple want or need with me. I am intrigued by this technology and it's challenges. I don't care how sophisticated the machine is. It will ALWAYS present some challenges for the user. Right out of the box, the DJI birds require a lot of research and training, just to make sure you are getting the most out of the cameras AND safely operating the drone.

I haven't truly mastered any one of the DJI birds yet. It's always a work in progress. Maybe, that's the point of the whole thing. Something to focus on that keeps my mind occupied and has tangible rewards. Every pic or vid that is an improvement over the last one is it's own reward. Every successful flight, where the drone returns home, unscathed is it's own reward. Maybe, that's why I want the Skydio S2. Another challenge.
Oct 05, 2019, 08:20 PM
Quote:
\ Another challenge.
Sometimes one finds that it is the journey rather than the destination that provides the enjoyment.

New challenges as stated above maybe a good enough reason for some; rather than because the S2 provides technically better images than say a M2. One just needs to realize what they are buying and not expect it to be what it is not.

It would be another tool or toy in the tool or toy box, not the ultimate Swiss Army Knife/drone some seem to think each new drone should be.

I would not purchase one as my only drone but as an interesting addition.
Oct 05, 2019, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt
Sometimes one finds that it is the journey rather than the destination that provides the enjoyment.

New challenges as stated above maybe a good enough reason for some; rather than because the S2 provides technically better images than say a M2. One just needs to realize what they are buying and not expect it to be what it is not.

It would be another tool or toy in the tool or toy box, not the ultimate Swiss Army Knife/drone some seem to think each new drone should be.

I would not purchase one as my only drone but as an interesting addition.
Well put. +1
Oct 06, 2019, 07:54 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
And with that a couple of points as some of you have brought up on what it is or isn't and things to look for.

What YouTubers aren't telling you about Skydio 2 / RAW! Viewer discretion advised! (15 min 22 sec)
Oct 06, 2019, 08:18 AM
“Learning Machine”
I’d say this guy is concealing his drunkenness on the Koolaid.

He doesn’t know anything about the US Millitary/Government.

Some good points but laced with China love!

Let’s not get back on this fake narrative again.

Btw

My wife said who is that creepy person talking about drones as I was watching it.

I love the begging for love & likes at the end.

Fake Narrative!

QUOTE=Repaid1;42888265]And with that a couple of points as some of you have brought up on what it is or isn't and things to look for.

What YouTubers aren't telling you about Skydio 2 / RAW! Viewer discretion advised! (15 min 22 sec)
[/QUOTE]
Oct 06, 2019, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
And with that a couple of points as some of you have brought up on what it is or isn't and things to look for.

https://youtu.be/wK5LxgnDGsw
The main thing that I got out of this YT video is that the S2 is for the action video crowd. I don't disagree. I also see that, despite it's advanced tech, it still has some drawbacks, compared to the M2P and P4P+.
Oct 06, 2019, 02:05 PM
Quote:
The main thing that I got out of this YT video is that the S2 is for the action video crowd. I don't disagree. I also see that, despite it's advanced tech, it still has some drawbacks, compared to the M2P and P4P+.
Apparently skydio stop making batteries for the R1? That doesn't bode well for anyone looking to purchase one of their products long term. Not even an aftermarket option?
Oct 06, 2019, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb1e
Apparently skydio stop making batteries for the R1? That doesn't bode well for anyone looking to purchase one of their products long term. Not even an aftermarket option?
Why would you want on over priced R1 when you can have a Skydio 2 for about half the price?
Oct 06, 2019, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb1e
And, the whole 'only chargeable by USB cable WHILE IT'S ATTACHED TO THE DRONE' thing is kind of off putting. I'm really beginning to have some serious second thoughts about this. I reviewed my deposit information on this purchase. It says that they will contact me, when they are ready to ship and that I will have the opportunity to buy accessories then, like the transmitter, the beacon, extra batteries, props, etc.

I figure, if I go through with this, I will probably wind up spending about $2G on this drone. But, I don't think I will ever get it's full potential, because I am not an action video oriented flyer. Plus, I know I won't be happy about it's limitations, when compared to my DJI's (in those features that I already use and the S2 is lacking).

So, unless someone can give me enough logical justification to go through with this deal, I'm probably going to cancel, when they call me for shipping details.
Oct 06, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1
Why would you want on over priced R1 when you can have a Skydio 2 for about half the price?
I don't think he was looking to purchase an S1. He was just making an observation.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:13 PM
Quote:
What's preventing someone from constructing a 'snap on' type of four legged landing gear that mounts directly to the battery, and elevates the quad just an inch or two? I'll bet that someone with a 3D printer comes up just that, just as soon as he gets his hands on the S2.
Putting center of mass higher makes things even worse, as far as tipping on landing goes.

The only thing going for Skydio 2 design is that the center of mass may be so low that it makes drone want to stand upright by it's own.

But just like with Mavic even the tipping problem has been solved you still can not land in most places because of the prop wash lifting all dirt and eating those props as they are so close to the ground.

Quick Reply