Oct 04, 2019, 12:46 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFQQT
Iím not concerned about what DJIís worries might be.
The apparent fact that this is a hand launch/land aircraft is very concerning. I can see the lawsuits coming now from the parents over over-zealous kids that stuck their fingers into a hovering Salad-Shooter...
ó
Until they come up with a reasonable landing gear (DJI Mavicís are just barely so), I probably wonít be a player in this space...
ó
Watching with keen interest....
If Skydio doesn't, I'm sure that there will be a plethora of landing gear alternatives (among other things) produced by aftermarket manufacturers, specifically for the S2.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2019, 12:57 PM
ďLearning MachineĒ
Mad!

Nice info. Really good to get first hand from you.

Excellent!

QUOTE=Mad_angler1;42856977]I was very lucky to be able to speak with Adam the CEO of Skydio tonight on the launch of the Skydio 2. Itís very interesting product indeed and Iím

Plooking forward to taking a look at it as soon as it comes to the Uk/EU.

Some interesting info from the conversation are

US manufactured, thatís assemblyís but parts are sourced all over the world.

Plans for UK and EU in 2020 but they are looking to possibly accelerate that after todayís feedback.

Consumer model wonít fly at night, due to vision systems needing a minimum light level, enterprise model to have an override for this.

No NFZ in consumer or enterprise model

Uses Parrot Anafi RC but itís not compatible with Anafi,, they are using their own wireless protocol and as such Skydio RC and Beacon not compatible with Anafi. Itís a hardware deal on Parrot supplying the Remote to Skydio only.

Early preorders should be in users hands end of by November, production on ramp up now.[/QUOTE]
Oct 04, 2019, 03:39 PM
Tweaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
I have been made aware that the Skydio 2 has a max altitude of 100m from take off point limitation and it will also not fly indoors.

Iím trying to find out if this is with the RC as well as the beacon of is it just in the phone mode or when tracking subject.

Just at this stage be aware that this appears to be the case as Itís been confirmed by Skydio CS just not all the details sadly.

As also mentioned it will also not fly in low light or night either.

Once Adam comes back to me Iíll let you know, I would think the 100m is just for controlling by a phone via WiFi and tracking as that would make sense but would not expect there to be a limit with the RC my self in normal use but itís not confirmed yet.

It should also be added that this really is not a replacement or alternative for most camera drones. Itís a flying action camera really, itís what GoPro should have produced them selves, itís not really a replacement for any of the AP models alone. Itís a new product in a new segment as I see it.
Agreed, it's just a different breed craft with both different and overlapping features compared to DJI. The Mav2 is an extremely polished and capable model that I will be keeping as my main craft.

I was notified that I'm in batch 2, towards end of year currently. the Beacon and TX are separately available at $150 each
Oct 04, 2019, 07:25 PM

Don't count on Landing Gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry
If Skydio doesn't, I'm sure that there will be a plethora of landing gear alternatives (among other things) produced by aftermarket manufacturers, specifically for the S2.
Landing gear alternatives are going to be problematic in my opinion due to the 6 navigational cameras having to have a clear fields of view.

It seems they reversed the front motors to pushers to get them out of the way of the 3 top mounted cameras probably providing most of the forward vision. The two under the rear arms probably do most of the work for rear vision. Sides are probably split between all 6 since they each cover 200 degrees.

I don't see how legs/landing gear would not interfere with these required fields of view unless firmware was changed to ignore those blind spots. That is something the Skydio decided not to do, I doubt that the lack of landing gear was an oversight.
Last edited by parkgt; Oct 04, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Oct 04, 2019, 11:25 PM
Quote:
I have been made aware that the Skydio 2 has a max altitude of 100m from take off point limitation and it will also not fly indoors.

Iím trying to find out if this is with the RC as well as the beacon of is it just in the phone mode or when tracking subject.

Just at this stage be aware that this appears to be the case as Itís been confirmed by Skydio CS just not all the details sadly.

As also mentioned it will also not fly in low light or night either.

Once Adam comes back to me Iíll let you know, I would think the 100m is just for controlling by a phone via WiFi and tracking as that would make sense but would not expect there to be a limit with the RC my self in normal use but itís not confirmed yet.

It should also be added that this really is not a replacement or alternative for most camera drones. Itís a flying action camera really, itís what GoPro should have produced them selves, itís not really a replacement for any of the AP models alone. Itís a new product in a new segment as I see it.
Im curious to see how the vision system performs in direct sunlight. As some of you DJI owners may be aware that direct sunlight particularly toward the end of day can interfere with the forward vision system on the Mavic's detecting direct sunlight as an obstacle and stopping abruptly even though no obstacle is present. Curious how a 360degree system would perform..
Oct 04, 2019, 11:29 PM
P3P,P4P+,M2P,Spark,Solo,X 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt
Landing gear alternatives are going to be problematic in my opinion due to the 6 navigational cameras having to have a clear fields of view.

It seems they reversed the front motors to pushers to get them out of the way of the 3 top mounted cameras probably providing most of the forward vision. The two under the rear arms probably do most of the work for rear vision. Sides are probably split between all 6 since they each cover 200 degrees.

I don't see how legs/landing gear would not interfere with these required fields of view unless firmware was changed to ignore those blind spots. That is something the Skydio decided not to do, I doubt that the lack of landing gear was an oversight.
Curious, with the front rotors facing down, how the hell does the camera manage to get no props in view, no matter what the angle of the camera is???
Oct 05, 2019, 12:56 AM
Tweaker
Camera is out in front, away from the props.

I'm not concerned about landing gear, I'm all about hand launch/catch.
Oct 05, 2019, 04:56 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
An update on the height.

FAQ

https://support.skydio.com/hc/en-us/...s/360036118854

Based on which flight mode youíre using, or whether or not Skydio 2 is currently tracking a subject, here are the altitude (height) specifications for Skydio 2:

When flying with just the Skydio app and tracking a subject(not using Controller or Beacon), the maximum height is 8m (26.87ft) - if that subject is a vehicle, the maximum height is 16m (53.75ft).
When Skydio 2 is not tracking a subject, the maximum height is 1,640 ft. (regardless of which control option is being used).
In addition to the above specs, when tracking a subject, Skydio 2 will nominally stay within 10m (32.8ft) of the subject (overall distance in relation to the person being followed) or 20m (65.6ft), if tracking a car.
It is always important to follow your local laws when it comes to flying your drone. Skydio 2ís height ceilings are compliant with FAA guidelines.

Oct 05, 2019, 08:16 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL

S2 production up to demand???

Just curious .... some have already commented that their buy has been reserved for production runs scheduled out as far as the end of 2019.

Anyone received word of an even later reservation date?
Last edited by DJI27; Oct 05, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Oct 05, 2019, 08:22 AM
It occurred to me that with six 4k cameras, the Skydio should be able to create some amazing 360 degree video footage. Might not be able to do this at the same time as tracking with obstacle avoidance, ut something to think about for the future.
Oct 05, 2019, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
Hand launch/recovery won't be a big deal for the majority of pilots out there.

The S2's ability to far outshine the Mavic series of drones when it comes to obstacle avoidance is what will make it a game changer for both the recreational and commercial pilot.

On another note, has anyone seen/heard on how well the S2 avoids overhanging wires??? .... would have to believe that is the only kink in its armor.

I asked this specifically when I spoke to him that and the answer was large ones yes but smaller no. Not something I would want to try or out guarantees on.

The Mavic will stop at power lines if the angle it straight on much of the time but again itís dodgy ground.
Oct 05, 2019, 08:47 AM
Regards - Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry
I hope you are right about aftermarket landing gear...
I have watched all their videos and have seen one take-off from a flat concrete surface using its battery as the ďgearĒ and one landing in the dirt using the battery as its gear. The area I live in most of the year is iron-rich desert. Two friends have had early motor failures. One was a Mavic Pro and the other lost two of the six motors on his Yuneec Typhoon H. The magnets in the motors swallow up that iron rich dust and theyíre pretty much done....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE

I'm not concerned about landing gear, I'm all about hand launch/catch.
As an adult, I can appreciate your preference.
As a Grandpa with precious and anxious young ones around, your preference means little.
Certainly we endeavor to teach our youth about safety, but many times they will act impetuously.. In the case of hand-catch, this can be disastrous... Iíve seen too many videos and pictures on FB et al that show the consequences of not performing a hand catch properly...

Meanwhile Iíll continue to monitor this product line.

I will also add that as a military veteran and full-blown American, I am incredibly happy to see this offering made here in the USA...
Oct 05, 2019, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt

My first thought when I saw this design was that I would just add some kind of landing gear to it, then I realized as you say, that it would be seen by the cameras on the bottom.
I would have no problem hand launching and landing with this design. The battery sits low enough in the back to make an easy grab.
Oct 05, 2019, 09:02 AM
Just bring a landing pad. Small matt or something. Itís not a big issue imo.
Oct 05, 2019, 09:02 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
I asked this specifically when I spoke to him that and the answer was large ones yes but smaller no. Not something I would want to try or out guarantees on.

The Mavic will stop at power lines if the angle it straight on much of the time but again itís dodgy ground.
I wasn't aware that the Mavic was able to detect power lines of any size....

But your right about erring on the side of caution.... to avoid hanging wires is a bit much to ask of any consumer drone.

Quick Reply