Aug 07, 2019, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Switching from 75mhz to 2.4 Spektrum in Gas Boat

I am getting ready to make the switch from my beloved Futaba 3PK to a DX5 Pro, I'm very used to the 12" + receiver antennas from the 75mhz RX. The Spektrum RX has a 3.5" antenna. Any I should know before tucking that RX down in a radio box with no antenna poking through the hull? I'm planning on going with the SR215 RX's in my boats as all I need is 2 channel, an no telemetry. I've scoured for info on extended antennas but can't find anything. Spektrum support says the SR6000T, MR4000 and SR515 have longer antennas. Am I on the right path or just worrying about nothing.

-Chris
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 11:25 AM
i havent had any issues with my flysky 2.4ghz receiver loosing signal in my Dumas DV60 powered by a weedwacker motor... reciever is currently just sitting in the bottom of the hull tucked under the right hand side gunnel....
Aug 19, 2019, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTotty
I am getting ready to make the switch from my beloved Futaba 3PK to a DX5 Pro, I'm very used to the 12" + receiver antennas from the 75mhz RX. The Spektrum RX has a 3.5" antenna. Any I should know before tucking that RX down in a radio box with no antenna poking through the hull? I'm planning on going with the SR215 RX's in my boats as all I need is 2 channel, an no telemetry. I've scoured for info on extended antennas but can't find anything. Spektrum support says the SR6000T, MR4000 and SR515 have longer antennas. Am I on the right path or just worrying about nothing.

-Chris
You should know Spektrum has issues on water and you should use the marine rx for boats so the MR4000 is the one you need . As regards antennas i keep mine inside the radio box but they do recommend having them outside but easier said than done when they are so short .Ive not had an issue running my cheap flysky radios this way nor my expensive futaba fasst gear but i no longer bother with the latter the flysky is all i ever use nowadays .
Aug 19, 2019, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
At first glance I thought FR-SKY and FLYSKY were the same thing... I was wrong! Seems like I keep hearing the same thing about Spektrum on the water... I guess I should have gone the Futaba route, and Also guess I may still should.
Last edited by MrTotty; Aug 19, 2019 at 09:32 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTotty
At first glance I thought FR-SKY and FLYSKY were the same thing... I was wrong! Seems like I keep hearing the same thing about Spektrum on the water... I guess I should have gone the Futaba route, and Also guess I may still should.
You could buy the marine rx not sure how much they are ? or give the flysky a try honestly ive had no issues the rx is even water proof and yes i did test it after seeing someone do a test of one in a glass of water lol .
this is the one i use,cheap as chips Flysky FS-GT3C 2.4G 3CH
Aug 23, 2019, 08:18 AM
RC boat Rock Star
The first Spektrum 2.4 Gig radios had big issues on the water, some would lose contact within 150 feet or less, I've seen it happen. The newer ones are OK as they took take of the problem otherwise you can use any MR receiver.
Unless your boat has a lot of carbon fiber in it I wouldn't worry too much about it getting the signal. I'm paranoid myself so I like getting the antenna up as far as I can even resorting the placing the Rx on the radio box lid no matter who made the radio.

Quick Reply