This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 07, 2019, 02:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FMS 800 V-tail Maiden

FMS 800 V tail maiden (8 min 32 sec)

FMS 800 V tail
Flying weight 156 grams
CG @ 40mm from L/E
Nanotech 370mAh 2s
FS2A micro Rx (4ch)

1) FMS 800 V tail
Flew off the board so to speak , no rates / no expo .
The model does need some down elevator trim , but I will take care of that next time with some sub trim .
Most of the flight was about 50% throttle .

2) CG
The CG ended up being about 40mm from the L/E . Instruction manual say's 35mm and I would say that was a fair call .
At 40mm it's not overly sensitive ( no rates - no expo ) . But the model does turn tight .

3) Nanotech 370 2s
This is the battery I chose , it was doing nothing !
8 and a half minutes of flight and my battery checker say's 40% battery left . ( Mostly 50% throttle )

4) Flying weight ( 156 grams )
Originally it was 154 grams , but I needed to stuff some weight up the models bee hive to get a better CG than 25mm from the L/E
Love the weight , it simply allows the FMS 800 V tail to fly really slow . Once the elevator is trimmed so that the model does not climb but rather holds straight and level . It will be a joy to fly slow .

5) Stability
Yes and no . It is very stable . But that straight wing does effect roll stability . So attention is needed , and no - it's not really a hands off model . No where as bad as say the MG800 , but not as good as say a Firstar 200 .

6) Propeller
Yeah , not the best - that's for sure !
Yes you can fly @ 50% throttle , but not much less than that as it simply wont tolerate any climb at all .
Crank the throttle to 70% or better and the FMS 800 V tail gets energetic . Wonder if I can replace the prop ?

7) ESC - 6A
No issues here .. But then most of the flight was about 50% throttle .

8) OUT OF PRODUCTION
Yes , thats right !
The FMS 800 V tail is out of production .
I wanted one for a long time and ordered mine out of Hong Kong , over all I would say I overpaid to get my hands on one .
So if you want one ? Now is the time to act or else !

9) With a flying weight of 156 grams ( mine ) , I would love to see FMS bring out a 1 meter version around 200 Grams flying weight .
With these new RC regs designed to kill the RC hobby , we really need a new generation of sub 250 models .
The Super Kinetic is a flying brick , the FMS 800 V tail is about half the weight . Has very similar flight characteristics , flies slower , glides better and needs a smaller battery .

Conclusion :

I paid too much for mine ( could not be helped )
I wanted one .
I got one .
No buyers remorse .
I really like the way it flies .
Flies almost exactly like I would want a small 800mm motor glider to fly .
I think this model would slope just fine .
Do I recommend it , YES !
But as it's no longer in production ! If you want one , better hurry !
A score out of ten ? 9 out of 10 ....
Last edited by old4570; Aug 07, 2019 at 04:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply