Feb 19, 2005, 03:08 PM
Thread OP

Can (2) Walwart power supplies be connected in parallel?

I am looking for a new power supply to power my Hobbico QFC MK II charger which charges my Etec 1200-3s Lipo packs. I have (2) Walwart type wall chargers that are rated at 12V Output at 800 MaH. My question is this, can the two power supplies be hooked up in parallel to give me 1,600 Mah capacity so that I can charge my 1200 & 1500 Mah Lipo packs or am I thinking crazy?

-Thanks-

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2005, 09:25 PM
Battery Junkie
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Get a good power supply or convert a computer power supply.
Feb 20, 2005, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenwright
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Get a good power supply or convert a computer power supply.
I think you would be much better served to follow wrenright's advice. Wall warts are a bit chancy as to voltage and current capability. Most are not at all regulated, and you really ought to supply your charger with a stable voltage with an ample current capability.

Bill
Feb 20, 2005, 07:59 AM
It doesn't work that way
To answer the original question:
Yes, two identical DC wall transformers can be wired in parallel to provide twice the current.
I would not however attempt to use this type of setup for charging LiPo's directly.
You need voltage regulation to output 4.20 V/Cell.
You also need current regulation so that the initial current does not exceed the recommended charging current for your battery.
George
Feb 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
I just won an Ebay auction for a Regulated Power Supply $4.50 + Shipping. I already have & been using an old PC computer power supply but it reads only 10.5 Volts output on my Voltmeter & my Hobbico QFC MKII charge is starting to refuse to start & charge at this low voltage, that's why I was looking at the Walwart alternative.
However, the used Regulated power supply that I just bought should solve the problem.

-Thanks for all the input-

Mike

Quick Reply