Feb 19, 2005, 12:45 PM

Quiet Storm: Post your Info here - Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of the Quiet Storm: Post your Info here thread. Part 1 can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296583

Post away...

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2005, 04:06 PM
AMA 7014
Thanks Pete, Thanks for the advice Lazy boy Jr. And the Quiet Storm saga continues.....
Feb 20, 2005, 03:58 PM
Registered Snoozer

Quiet Storm by committee

Well, I have two pieces of good news:

1. I have put the finishing touches on "my" Quiet Storm #2, which has been a joint project by jbj620 (who started it and then sold it to me), Bill Sheppard (who I rely on for help in building), and me (who was entrusted to perform some simple tasks in connection with the build and will be the pilot); and

2. I finally got a digital camera so I can post some pix of this beauty.
Feb 20, 2005, 04:09 PM
Registered Snoozer
You can see the nice job Bill did on the motor mount, with the stick trimmed so we could push the battery all the way forward on the tray. Also, Bill's trick tail wheel, which I will let him describe because I'm not quite sure everything that went into it. The control set up for the tail feathers shows the nylon control horns and 2-56 rods that I used through out as a beefier alternative to the supplied hardware. The power is a Himax 2025-5300 in Cobri box.

Unfortunately, jbj's main contribution (the reinforcement of the landing gear mounting plate) is impossible to photograph well. Jbj also trimmed the vacuum formed plastic parts, cut the cooling holes, and came up with the velcro canopy attachment method, which works great. The last pic shows the job Bill did on the wing attachment.
Feb 20, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hey Neil

Looks like you been having fun road testing that new digicam.

Re.the 'trick' tailwheel, it's pretty conventional in every respect except for a bit of additional 'soft coupling' between the tiller arm and the rudder. The photo is pretty self-explanatory; the tip of the tiller extends only a short distance into the red tubing, which is anchored at its aft end to the rudder. The tubing can flex side-to-side, giving the tiller a little extra 'wiggle room'. Yet the tubing is stiff enough to provide positive steering without slop.

Also, since the tailwheel's pivot is offset slightly from the rudder hinge line, the tiller arm has to slide very slightly in the tubing, which it does without any binding.

The tailwheel's pivot is bound to a 'post' of two CF rods embedded in the hard wood trailing edge of the fin, giving a very strong mounting. The aluminum wire strut provides a little more rear-ward strength, but is there more for aesthetics.

Re.the spar joint, it is a full 'sandwich' with ply epoxied on both front and back. It solidly joins together those reinforcement strips in the spar, making them continuous thru the center and making the spar continuous, strongest in the center where it needs to be.

Bill(oc)
Feb 20, 2005, 08:20 PM
Wow, Very nice job Neil, Bill, and jbj !! My favorite mods are the motor mount and the velcro canopy but everything looks very professional and well engineered. Very cool guys.

Bill, were those motor mount gussets scratch or did you start with something precut and modify it?

Hey Neil you putting the same receiver back in it
Feb 20, 2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Snoozer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
Hey Neil you putting the same receiver back in it
Yeah, right. It may be "old school" technology, but I'm just using a good old Hitec Superslim 8 channel rx. I have four of them, and have never had a problem with them. It's pouring rain right now (and has been for the past week), but I'm hoping to maiden this bird later this week when the weather is supposed to clear.

Neil
Feb 20, 2005, 08:41 PM
AMA 7014
Neil, Please do not use the same reciever. It's none of my business but I do not like that reciever. Bad reciever! Bad!!! LOL Good job Guys. jbj
Feb 20, 2005, 08:44 PM
Registered Snoozer
Not to worry, jbj. (See earlier post -- I guess we posted at the same time.)

N.
Feb 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
AMA 7014
Neil, You must be super fast at typing. Good reciever choice! Wish I could be present for the maiden, maybe you can get a video of QS#2 airborne for the first time. That would be great! jbj
Last edited by jbj620; Feb 23, 2005 at 07:35 PM.
Feb 20, 2005, 09:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
Bill has a video camera, but I'm not sure that either of us possesses the 21st century smarts to get it in digital form. I'll just be happy if it flies, whether or not we capture the event on video!

Before I forget, another little mod that I did this time that I would recommend is that I glassed the inside of the cowl at the back where the canopy slides under it. The vacuum formed plastic is very thin and fragile, and on my last QS I split this area of the canopy one time while I was tugging on a recalcitrant battery connector. This strengthens the plastic, and adds no significant weight. (The same technique is used anywhere where you cut openings in the plastic, i.e., for cooling entrance and exit, and for the landing gear to extend through the belly pan. Just lay the cloth on the plastic, apply some thin CA, and smooth it out with your finger protected by a piece of plastic bag material.)

Neil
Feb 20, 2005, 09:38 PM
Where is that remote?
Neil, Your QS looks great! Good job guys! Have fun with your maiden flight.
Feb 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
hi,i have a quiet storm too, does any1 have an AXI2808/24 running in ur quiet storm?
Feb 21, 2005, 11:45 AM
Where is that remote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap_roll
hi,i have a quiet storm too, does any1 have an AXI2808/24 running in ur quiet storm?
Yes, My son and I, are using an Axi 2808/20, 30 amp Jeti, Kokam 3s 2000 15c battery, and Apc 11x5.5 e props. This setup works really well.
Feb 21, 2005, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap_roll
Hi there! do you have that ^^^ motor installed on your QS? If so, I would be very interested to see how you mounted it.

If you're also interested on putting this motor on your QS, check out the part1 of this thread.

My QS is on the process of getting it's power system (hopefully this week) and have been scouring this thread for the most ideal set-up for it.

I am leaning more towards the axi but kind of hesitated 'coz of the number of puffed axi reports I've read about recently, not on a QS but on other planes with similar weight/setup so now I am, again, undecided.

lazyboyflyer: are you at sea level? Most people I've read using an 11X5.5 + prop are ASL and those who are at or close to SL burned their axi's.

I'm still optimistic about this motor and I think a 10x5 apc-e or 10x6 gws hd could pull the QS along nicely without burning the axi, what do you folks think?

BTW, my estimated AUW is at 25 - 26oz.

Quick Reply