Jan 18, 2007, 11:35 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-inspecto
J Morgan: John, glad to here you made it back. I hope all went well. I am not enveious of you when it comes to moving. I would need two semi truck's.

Cecil
It is a little scary Cecil.

J
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2007, 09:19 AM
Kiss the Sky

HJ/Rane F-16XL

Just a couple of pics of my H-J/Rane design inspired F-16XL- I thought it would be interesting to finish it in Belgian Tiger Meet scheme, although I took some liberties with the design. Will maiden as soon as weather permits (and I have my new Futaba 6EXA TX sorted out). I always think that it is only fair to show the guys that have shared their designs the finished examples-Thanks guys for sharing is all I can say.
Jan 21, 2007, 09:29 AM
EB-66C Team Member
That's a beautiful scheme EE. Very nice. Good luck on maiden.

J
Jan 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
Kiss the Sky
Thanks J-M, means a lot coming from you-
Jan 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
Fantastic job on the XL ElectricEye!!! I've added your Jet to Rane's XL page Best of luck on the Maiden Flight!!! Can we look forward to a video?

Tom
Jan 21, 2007, 11:55 AM
Living a Dream
Adrian,

thatīs a great looking F-16 XL!!

Can we see a picture from the vertical tiger meet fin, too?

Hey, itīs time for some maiden flights with more than one of your F-16ns.
You are a great builder! Good luck!

Hans-Joachim
Jan 22, 2007, 04:46 AM
Kiss the Sky
Thanks guys-Your comments mean a lot-I will try and sort out some vids as soon as flying weather arrives-We are just about to get into a late winter here in the UK, plus very high winds (out of interest I was a passenger in a 737 landing at London Gatwick last week in those high winds-Truly amazing how they get a big bird like that down safely-It also made for an 'exciting' flight to say the least!! Cheers guys, video will be sent asap-
H-J, the fin 'Tiger' is only a blow up from an image on the net-nothing clever I'm afraid but it looks cool if incorrect scale wise
Jan 22, 2007, 05:14 AM
I recall Rane lost his to aileron flutter or something similar. How are your controls set up?
Jan 22, 2007, 11:26 AM
Kiss the Sky
I have seperate aileron & elevator (Outer aileron, inner elevator) also 2 C/F rods, 1 about 1/3 of the wing from where the leading edge meets the fuselage and the other at the widest wing span-It is very rigid!!, there will not be any flutter.

Rane used elevons-I toyed with this idea, but decided against it, although there is no reason elevons should not work-Stormotronix (I think was his site name) submitted awesome videos of his F-16XL powered by both pusher (see back in the posts) and EDF with no flutter problems but he reinforced his wings, which is why I reinforced mine-That is where the problem lies, I think. Very small wieght gain adding a few inches of C/F rod, although I believe Stormotrnix used C/F strips along the leading edge-I didn't like that idea so much -even though Storm's flight vids are awesome, and was what inspired me to build an XL-as whilst the leading edge would be very tough, I thought it not very aerodynamic so went for the extra C/F rod across the wingspan.
Last edited by electriceye; Jan 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM.
Jan 23, 2007, 07:28 AM

Congratulations electriceye

Really great looking Paintscheme!

Did you decide on your setup yet?

Will you go EDF or pusher?

(Mine is waiting for a new Motor, to be reconverted to a pusher , as it flies easier, slower and more acrobatic than with the Minifan480-> this has gone into a HET F-18, where it can be much faster, because it is not slowed down by huge unprofiled delta wings)

Greetings and a (late) happy new year to everyone in this thread!
Jan 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
Kiss the Sky
Thanks mate-It is all set up for an AXI silver 2212/20 if that is what you wanted to know-I will let you all know how it goes once the weather is OK!! I posted the pics without the motor mounted (obviously) as I just wanted to get it out there. It is not scale strctly speaking as there has never been a Tiger meet F-16xl, or one with that design and the tiger on the fin, but I thought if I'm going 'fantaasy' finish, why not go the whole way!!!
As I said it was the awesome performance of your XL that made me say, "I've just got to build one" -Please let us know how you are getting on? I even thought your EDF flew really well but it is interesting that you found the pusher version better, as Hans-Joachim did I believe?-The only thing about EDF versions is they are really cool looking as there is,of course, no prop and hence look far more authentic!! I suppose it is all down to whatever gives the more fun?
Jan 24, 2007, 01:33 PM
Living a Dream
Good Luck For The Maiden Flight, Adrian!!

Donīt forget to take a video!

HJ
Jan 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Kiss the Sky
Hi Hans- I will try and get a video/stills of my maiden posted. What are you working on or thinking of working on next?
Feb 07, 2007, 02:50 PM
Living a Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
Hi Hans- I will try and get a video/stills of my maiden posted. What are you working on or thinking of working on next?
Hi Adrian, after building and flying Adrielīs cool F/A-28 design, I started this one, today.

Weather will be cold again, so we have to wait for one of your F-16 maiden flights some more days?

HJ
Feb 07, 2007, 03:14 PM
That thing's operational!
Adrian,

I hope your maiden flight goes great man! Have fun!

H-J,

Sweet! Man, that looks really neat, I hope you have a great first flight with it! Are you going to build the X-Wing's full fuselage, or just leave it 2D? Man, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I'd want to build one for sure if you're making plans! I've seen another RC x-wing around here, but it had canards and although they probably improved the flight characteristics, it just didn't look right with those little wings up front. So I hope yours flies great!