Aug 06, 2019, 09:47 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Holding it .... I think it would make a brilliant Slope Soarer ..... shame that Latvia has no good slopes !
The Soviets even had to 'build a hill' to create the Bobsleigh run in Sigulda !!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2019, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Nearly finished ... just wait paint to dry and then apply underwing decals and fuselage marks .... find a spare Rx and balance her ...

Quite pleased .. had a new 2826 2200kv spare ... so why not ??

Reckon she'll be good for 1800 - 2200 3S Lipo ...
Aug 11, 2019, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Well she flies !! OK - had a bit of a 'do' to get her airborne and then motor mount sheered ... BUT SHE FLIES !!

Looks good in the air ...

Scratchbuilt profile Hawker Hunter maiden Cirava 10 Aug 2019 SS3 A (6 min 47 sec)

She's all repaired and ready for flight. I have tested with 4S and swapped the 6x4 prop for a 5x5 ... this gives me choice of 3S or 4S as I want ...
Aug 13, 2019, 04:49 AM
Nice - I love the Hunter.
I always have a moan that people do not put the drop tanks under the wings - it seems most of the full size flew with them.
My next depron pusher will be a Eurofighter but I want to make it full fuselage. I have built the (KFm) wing and am now deciding on how to create the slightly awkward shaped fuselage.
Here's my last scratch built project, a depron KFm Vulcan.
Clive.
Aug 13, 2019, 05:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Henry Jones
Nice - I love the Hunter.
I always have a moan that people do not put the drop tanks under the wings - it seems most of the full size flew with them.
My next depron pusher will be a Eurofighter but I want to make it full fuselage. I have built the (KFm) wing and am now deciding on how to create the slightly awkward shaped fuselage.
Here's my last scratch built project, a depron KFm Vulcan.
Clive.
Hop over the RCPowers web site ... they have used the score and fold technique to produce some amazing models ... virtually all their later designs are full fuselage but still hold to the flat plate wings etc.

https://www.rcpowers.com/categories

Well worth it ...

My Eurofighter is the TOMHE plan version (profile) and I love it. RCP - do a full fuse version ..
Aug 13, 2019, 05:22 AM
Hi Solentlife - will do, thanks.
Clive.
Aug 17, 2019, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Flight with 4S / 5x5 on 2200kv .....

I think it exceeded the airframe as turns were difficult with anything more than about 60% throttle ... even then she would be slow to start and then tighten dramatically.
The elevators are highly tapered due to the shape of tail feathers ... making the outer section far larger ... this makes me think the elevators are flexing when first moved, then when airframe starts turn - they bang in ...

I slowed down into a turn but this and the gusty wind - she panned out into the tough grass ... broke of the nose and split rear fuselage.

A new nose section is easy to make from my templates and scarf in. Rear has already been repaired.
Cf spars into the elevators may help.

Swap out the 5x5 prop and revert to 3S but with 6x5 to give just a little more speed as maiden with 6x4 showed it needed just a touch more 'shove' !

By Glasses dvr ...

HHunter Ligas field 4S 17 Aug 2019 (3 min 45 sec)
Aug 18, 2019, 04:08 AM
Thread OP
New nose section scarfed on and PU glue is curing ..

I cut back to create a joint that overlaps the wing to add some strength ... and also decided to extend the wing sheet to the nose creating a double thick laminated fuselage in vertical and horizontal section ... to carry the weight of that 2250 3S battery ...

The new sections were laminated with epoxy befoare scarfing into main body - the epoxy to provide a stiff glue line to assist with the foam resisting bending moments.

Final joints where gaps will be filled with PU / filler mix to foam up and seal.
Aug 21, 2019, 05:02 AM

Have you done a Gloster Javelin yet?

All built from 3mm Depron. Flies very well with two 30mm EDFs.
Aug 21, 2019, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
I am working my way through slowly !!!!

I can see that with just a small change - the Jav could easily form from my Vulcan ...
Aug 24, 2019, 08:01 PM
The first time I saw a close up angled picture I thought it was a Prototype Vulcan. Yankee mistake

Electric Vulcan Canberra . Favorites
Aug 25, 2019, 01:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
The first time I saw a close up angled picture I thought it was a Prototype Vulcan. Yankee mistake

Electric Vulcan Canberra . Favorites
Do you mean the EE Lightning ?

Personal fav of mine - but a difficult machine to model .... I did create a parkflyer version - but couldn't get her to be stable on launch ... that swept back wing makes her too narrow on span to counter torque.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:06 PM
Was the Electric designed as a pure ground to air interceptor ? I never could see where they could put fuel on it. Did it have any range ? It looks like a wing with 2 engines.

Thank you.
Aug 26, 2019, 01:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
Was the Electric designed as a pure ground to air interceptor ? I never could see where they could put fuel on it. Did it have any range ? It looks like a wing with 2 engines.

Thank you.
It was nicknamed 'The Frightening' because of its awesome power to weight ratio. It was always said - it was two engines ... one on top of the other and a man stuck on to guide them !

Yes - it was designed as a fast to altitude interceptor and initially not for range. It was to scramble, reach altitude, shoot down the hostile, return to base and maybe repeat.
Later the 'bulge' was added underneath - extra fuel and then the overwing tanks. In Flight refueling was added and then the Lightning had range. It was always a compromise of keeping that awesome power and climb rate - a rate that still today is stunning - and gave it the ability to actually get a firing solution on the U2, something that US claimed impossible but proven a number of times. Its one of the few aircraft that could go supersonic in a climb.

Alternative VTO (0 min 30 sec)

Here's the documentary :

English Electric Lightning complete. (53 min 23 sec)
Aug 26, 2019, 09:01 AM

The British have designed some really good dog fighters.

The Avro Vulcan heavy bomber stands out as beating US fighter jets in MOCK dog fights. The old get inside of your enemies tightest turning radius. Shoot him down.

Fighter jocks picked up the bar bill that night.

Quick Reply