Aug 05, 2019, 04:13 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Build Log

Hawker Hunter Profile

Holder of Speed record at 727mph ... sold around the world ... an iconic and extremely beautiful aircraft when style was also still in fashion.

It gave birth to the greatest Aerobatic Team in the world, Red Arrows, as the Black Arrows .. it also still today holds the record for 22 aircraft in tight formation doing the loop ! Farnborough Air Show 1958

Farnborough the glory years 1958 - 1959 (24 min 26 sec)

(at ~8.45 onwards)

Templates are made in 3mm sheet from a 3 view. Then these let me trace out the basic 6mm depron parts. The Fuselage will be similar to my Vulcan - double thickness Depron making a stiff 12mm form.
6mm side strakes to straighten and provide a levelling for that huge wing, also in 6mm.

Span 730mm
LOA 930mm

Plan is to mount prop at rear ... typical 2826 2200kv or similar with a 6x4 or 6x5 ... on 3S ...

Not looking for speed but graceful flight in keeping with the original.

Here are the parts dry fitted for checking ...

to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2019, 05:26 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 05, 2019, 05:29 AM
Wonderful film. How interesting, there is a straight wing Vulcan as well as the less attractive cranked wing version. I used to watch the Farnborough shows avidly on TV when I was a kid. We had the only TV in the street. My dad and Uncle had made their own from a book! kids at school wondered how I knew so much!"

Martin
Aug 05, 2019, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
I am slowly building up a Hangar of various quick build profile flyers ... so far :

Mig 15
Vulcan
Eurofighter
Mig 29
F16

the Hunter to join the 'show'.

I have ideas to scroll through a few other 3 views - see what I can throw together. I'm trying to stay away from the F22 ... F35 and so on ... I prefer a more stylish design !!

Folland Gnat may be next ??
Aug 05, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
For when you have two motors spare .......

Ray

P.S. There's a whole load of profiles here ---

SEMFF WWII combat planes 31 designs with plans and video

Nice one ... bookmarked !
Aug 05, 2019, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Its funny .... not so long ago - I really hated Profile models - could not understand the attraction.

Then I had a 'turn' and bought a profile Zlin 3D kit ... it was terrible ! But the 'bug' bit and I've produced a few own knock-abouts as well as bought kits.

When my later Eurofighter proved so good ... I had to add to its stable.
Aug 05, 2019, 12:54 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Once in the air it's often difficult to see they are profiles.

The only embarrassing bit is if you turn them over to show the 'lectrics all stuck on the underside.

Aug 05, 2019, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
The Vulcan took 3 attempts to get right ... but now its a babe in the air !!

Profile Vulcan maiden 13 July 2019 (6 min 44 sec)
Aug 05, 2019, 07:03 PM
IWC
IWC
Very cool, is their a set of plans for the Vulcan?
Aug 06, 2019, 03:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC
Very cool, is their a set of plans for the Vulcan?
Sadly no ...

I'm a cut and glue builder, in that I get a 3 view drawing and then sketch out direct to thin foam as a template.

Basically I measure length / span of the 3 view then scale it up to size I want. This multiplier is then used to scale each measurement ... root chord / nose length / fin height etc.

I then keep the thin foam sheet (I use plain ceiling tiles joined together so they can fold) for any parts I need to cut to replace / repair later.

The Vulcan was produced from the attached 3 view.

I had produced a full fuselage / wing version as #1 - but it had a bad stall character ...

So I then decided to produce a profile version in single sheet 6mm flat plate - this with that enormous wing didn't have the stiffness needed and also had a mind of its own ! So much so - that on second flight - the wing spar came loose.

Having learnt from those two - I then created a much stiffer profile by laminating two 6mm to create fuselage and wing. Adding CF spars produced a structure that is stiff and survives the tightest turns etc.

The Hunter has the same idea in the vertical fuselage (laminated two 6mm sheets) but the side strakes and wing are single sheet 6mm.
Aug 06, 2019, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
For anyone interested ... for laminating Depron / MPF etc. - a good adhesive to use is the Foam Carpet Spray on Glue ... it does not eat the foam and you have two ways of use :

1. Spray on and put sheets together - you have a minute to slightly adjust while its still 'wet'.
or
2. Let it near dry to tacky and put together - now its basically instant grab and hard to adjust.

I hour later - its permanent !
Aug 06, 2019, 04:58 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Car alarm trigger .......

XH558 Vulcan Bomber Flyby at Leicester Airport 2012 (0 min 44 sec)

Now if only they made a model sound system that loud, I would fit one in my Vulcan.

Aug 06, 2019, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
That car Alarm trick has been quite a few times and not only by the Vulcan ... even the EE Lightning has done it ...

Its strange - the fascination we have with an instrument of Armageddon ...

I think the Vulcan still holds the World Record for the greatest distance run to a bombing run of all time ... when the lone Vulcan bombed Stanley Airfield. AND whats even more astounding - she hit the runway !!
Aug 06, 2019, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
OK ... found a scheme I liked ...

Decided to darken the grey to make more visible with brown ..

Its first rough paint and then a second coat sorts ... its Water based Poster paint - so will need a gloss over top to seal it and allow decals to stick.

No rudder - decided to leave it off as its not intended for 3D ... just trying to decide whether to put a Fun Fighter 1940kv 3S / 4S capable motor or the 2826 2200kv I usually fit with 3S ...

Quick Reply