2019 USA F3K National Championships Event Photos

Check out all the action from the 2019 F3K Nationals with the RCGroups photo coverage.

Splash

2019 USA F3K National Championship

The 2019 USA F3K National Championships are over and it was a fantastic weekend of flying. If you weren't here, you really missed out on some great weather and an even greater time hanging out with the K guys. We flew 14 rounds over 2 days and despite a recent CD change and using different software, the contest was well run. Wally really seemed to enjoy hanging out with us and seeing what F3K is all about. I think we'll get him hooked very soon.

The weather was near perfect both days with temps in the 80's and winds light. We really didn't get much of the famous Muncie sink, but that's not to say that every round was a piece of cake because it wasn't. I took what I learned at the World Championships and put it to good use. I had only bobbled one round the first day with a 916 and really thought that would be my drop round. Then the big ladder came and on the first launch I broke the nose clean off right at a previous repair. Swapped planes, but ended with a 645 for that round. Nathan was near perfect both days with a 988 drop carrying through. I did get him for 5 points in round 13 though, which was fun! So that makes two of the three 2019 Team USA members in 1st and 2nd place! Nathan successfully defended his national championship title, congrats Nathan!

Big shout out to Ben for taking 3rd and flying solid all weekend as well as Doug for ending in 4th. Doug's launches aren't the best, but he proves that launch height isn't everything. Also a big thanks to Dave, Don and Jan for helping out as well with the system, scoring, sandwiches and for all you do for the sport.

Best of all though, is we have a new DLG pilot in the ranks. Austin Blair approached me at the Horizon Hobby RC Fest Event months ago as I was flying my CX5. We talked a good long while about soaring and DLG's. I told him he should come to the Possum Toss event to check it out and he came with Wayne Wimbish and bought a used plane. The NATS was his very first F3K contest and I could tell he really enjoyed it. This is how we carry the sport forward, new blood and more contests. I just love it!

Go ahead and make plans now to attend the 2020 USA National Championships next summer! Until then, you can enjoy the photos from this year's event.

Aug 06, 2019, 05:29 PM
Posts relating to Facebook coverage have been moved to "Other Websites."
Aug 10, 2019, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the great photos! Even though the Dr had just released me to fly, I had a great time. Specially hanging out next to the guys from Michigan! I invited them to the Blue Skies event in October. They were a fun group!

Jim

Quick Reply