Aug 04, 2019, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I did something... and it turned out woundefully

Hello fellow conqueres of the elements.
There is this 70 cm Edge clone thingy that slowly materialized in my living quarters.

Mostly 3 mm Depron
155 g without batterie
2280 kV motor 1806 size
6040 prop
12 A emax esc
2x 3.7g + 2x 4.3g servos (4.3 in the wing)
2s 260mAh at the moment
A bit of wood 3x6mm and too much hot glue
coated with simple sticky tape by 3M
The fuselage has no wood reinforcements whatsoever and the front has a little "design feature"

A plan for a canopy that houses the FPV camera was concieved, but i would rather fly all day.
I flew about 13 batteries so far and it is for sure the best plane I ever built.
Could use a bit more energy, for it needs a wee more than 3/4 stick to hover.
But it does everything I wanted and more.
It flies level at about quarter throttle and rolls like a champ.
Last edited by JustAHuman; Aug 08, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2019, 04:19 AM
Very nice indeed. Would love to see it fly.
What flight times do you get on the 260mAh?
Aug 09, 2019, 05:10 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Nice idea trying with ordinary packing tape. Just did some coarse calculations on how much the tape ought to weigh, you know, sort of guesstimated from your picture, and I end up somewhere between 10 and 20 grams or btw. 1/3 and 2/3 of an oz. Thats actually not too shabby for a plane like this, which also shows in the AUW.
Last edited by DKChris; Aug 09, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Aug 09, 2019, 08:14 AM
Did something similar on a plane built out of a combo of foamboard and balsa, with vynil tape.
The vynil tape can be shrunk afterwards with a heat gun.
Aug 09, 2019, 08:51 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
So can ordinary polyester backed packing tape using a covering iron on low to medium setting; also locks in the adhesive......probably wouldn't go well with JustAHumans' airframe though

Only really tricky bit compared to actual covering material is that the tape tracks risk shrinking too much in width and pulling away from each other if you heat it too much.
Aug 10, 2019, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I would estimate about 6 min.
Update: I crashed it twice. And now I know where the weak spots are.
And because I broke the wing I made a new fuselage, of course... 44 g with motor and esc.
For the wing: I did something like this before, for my Focke Wulf Longnose. Just wanted to See with how little i could get away.
So I learned, that either the tape has to have contact with the profile-pieces, or you need reinforcements at the bottom or the top of the wing.
Last edited by JustAHuman; Aug 10, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
Aug 10, 2019, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
More pics.
Aug 21, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP

More stupid experiments

So I took the wing apart, repaired the broken rips, and replaced the servos with a single, bigger one, because they were needed elsewhere...
Then I made a new leading edge out of a bigger piece of foam than before and covered the whole deal with cellophane foil that I taped in place with sticky tape. Blasted the bugger with some hot air to shrink it a bit, which went surprisingly well and went to fly.
It did really well for 2 packs, when one of the foam plates that connect the 2 wood pieces near the end of the wing got loose. Was still flyable, but acrobatics where quite messy.

What i learned from this.

Leading edges should be stiff. I could write a whole lot of stuff about what I was thinking , when I tried floppy edges for more than once, but lets just leave it at that.

Cellophane worked surprising well.
Especially considering that I just taped it in place (none of that fancy double sided stuff, mind you, just scotch tape) and otherwise just used its self-adhesive effects to wrap it lenghtwise around the wing, it absolutely exceeded my expectations.
If we were to glue it in place, it would make for a very light, easyly accessable material to cover light wings.

Ah yes, almost forgot. Its really light. I didnt weigh in between, but the repaired wing weighed 15g less than the broken one.
The 3M masking tape I pulled off came in at 20g, so even taking the cellophane double would save tremendous weight.

The hole is from a straw I landed on, because plants are bastards.
Will try with double layers glued, not taped, next time.
Last edited by JustAHuman; Aug 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Cause I am just a human

Quick Reply