Nov 18, 2019, 03:09 AM
Thread OP
Wolfgang good morning. I have a doubt about a measure that you have given me.
The distance between the two pins for flapping are: 88 mm or 78 mm? .
That is all friend. I'm going to start cutting aluminum parts today.
Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 12:40 PM
Just measured it again, and it is really 78 mm, not 88. Sorry for the typo!
Nov 19, 2019, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Wolfgang, I had a doubt when I compared the measurements you had sent with the drawing of the plan.
Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.
Nov 22, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
This weekend I will cover the stabilizers and the tail. First I have given them a hand with Coverite, then I will use Oracover film.
Dec 02, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
This week I have started with the construction of the rotor head. I am going to make two different types of heads, one of them based on the rotor of the Schluter DS 22 and another head based on the Helix . I have used 10 mm thick aluminum. The inner hole is wider (20 mm) than that of the Schluter head (16mm) , this allows a greater deflection of the rotor, approx +_ 14 degrees instead of +_ 10 .
The next step will be to make the blades holders with the upper and lower stops.
Dec 11, 2019, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Today I made the blades holders. This has been made from a 15 x 40 mm thick aluminum plate. I have managed to get a mechanical stop of + _ 10 degrees of flapping. I have mounted the whole head and I have been able to verify that now I have + _ 14 degrees of freedom up and down necessary for the change of pitch blades during the rotation. Wolfgang has an original Helix and thanks to his help I have been able to made a mechanically head similar to the Helix. I am not an expert with the lathe and mailling but this is the best thing I can do, here it is.
Dec 11, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
And this is the head ready to place on the shaft.
Dec 11, 2019, 03:12 PM
Very nice work Jesus
Joe
Dec 12, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Joe .
Tomorrow I will start with the paddles .
Dec 14, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
I have already begun to make the paddles. As I have been informed, they measure 60 x 90 x 10 mm with a weight of approx 40 grms. Weight is important because it depends on whether the model is more or less nervous. If they weigh more, the model is quieter. We had this very much in our first radio control helicopters. I have used a 2.2mm central epoxy sheet and two 4 mm wood balsa sheets.
The interior is of a metric 4 electronic separator welded to a small piece of brass metal.
Then they have been covered with fiberglass and epoxy fabric. They weigh 37 grms and now I will have to sand, then a primer coat and paint. I hope to get 40 grms. The stabilizer rod is 4 metric stainless stee l, the total length including the two paddles is 760 mm.
Last edited by sherpa; Dec 14, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Dec 14, 2019, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
I have decided to make a hole to reduce the weight a bit. I don't know how much it will weigh in the end but I prefer estr below 40 grms
Dec 18, 2019, 12:55 PM

Helix blades

Hi Jesus,
I answered your private message concerning the Helix blades, did you see it? If not, I could place the answer here.

Wolfgang
Dec 19, 2019, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Thanks a lot .
Jan 09, 2020, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Hello friends, here I am again.
Once these Christmas parties have passed I have started again with my Helix. Today I covered my paddles with plastic adhesive film. The original paddles weighed about 40 grms each. These mine are in 39 grams. I wanted to copy the weight because the behavior of the autogyro depends a lot on this part, its area and its weight.
Last edited by sherpa; Jan 09, 2020 at 12:36 PM.
Jan 09, 2020, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
The next step will be the blades :
I acquired a pair of blades copied of those used by the old Schhluter Huey Cobra helicopter . Profile Clark Y size 900 x 55 x 8 mm with a weight of approx 134 grms . For various reasons I will not use them . In the end, I have decided to make the blades myself. Many years ago I flew a Robbe Whopper autogyro , it was a good autogyro but Schluter modified his initial blades with an S-profile for longer ones, less chord and with a Clark -Y profile.The rotor diameter was enlarged approx from 1480 mm to 1600 mm.
 I remember that they were approx 750 x 55 x 8 mm (6 cm longer than the initial ones). The Whopper weighed around 4500 grms, the Helix approx 4300 grms. The Whopper flew fast and very safe in the turns, the Helix (says the manufacturer) must be careful with the sharp turns since it could be the case that the rotor could stop and the autogyro fell to the ground without remedy. I believe, it is my personal opinion, that if I make the blades somewhat wider and shorter, that is, 800/850 x 58 x 8 mm instead of 900 x 55 x 8 , they will get some more spin on the rotor. This will make the behavior better in turns. I have already made them from beech, hardwood balsa and trailing edge in pine. The weight is 142 grams, with a final weight when film adhesive covered of approximately 160 grams each .
Last edited by sherpa; Jan 10, 2020 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply