Aug 01, 2019, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
In this model the axis consists of two parts. One for the rotor head and the other part of the shaft used to launch the rotor. The latter will be 6mm carbon rod. In flight this axis is stopped due to a one-way system. In this way I reduce the weight of the model
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2019, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Now friends comes the most interesting, the rotor head.
I do not have any
  My idea is to use a head with flapping hinge system that I have from a Schluter DS 22. I think at the beginning the designer of the Helix used parts of the fixed helicopters. Honestly, the rotor head of the DS 22 is very similar to that of the Helix head.
The Helix had vertical flapping motion but did not drag (move freely forward or backward).
The system to be used will be very similar to the one my Avro Rota C 30 has
Aug 01, 2019, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
I think this broken head will work well. And you?
Aug 01, 2019, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Now I have the problem blades.
This model used the blades of the Schluter Huey Cobra.
Clark Y Profile, 900 x 55 x 8mm, beech and balsa wood .
From what I read the rotor was not very fast and I had to be careful in the turns.
Today, autogyros modellers made ours the blades a little wider and with less thickness. This makes the rotor somewhat faster and therefore more stable. I have always advised a 10: 1 ratio. In other words, a 600 mm long blade would be 60 m wide and 7 to 8 mm thick . We have also verified that 12: 1 or 13: 1 are going very well.
I bought my blades in Germany too, but I decided not to use them. This next week I will start with the manufacture of the blades, I think they will be 80 cm long and 6.5 wide with 8.5 mm thick is to say a Clark Y modified at 12% or so . The leading edge will also be modified, not rounded but sharp.
Aug 21, 2019, 06:21 AM
Thread OP
Now is the time for painting. A first coat of Primer and then white and red epoxy paint.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:15 AM
Looking smart.
Joe
Aug 27, 2019, 11:18 AM

sherpa

Please contact me re helix experience and important data
Kindest

Human21354.

At human213gmail.com
Sep 05, 2019, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Human.
I just sent you an email. I still keep your private mail.
Sep 13, 2019, 02:26 AM
Thread OP
Yesterday I was able to finish the part corresponding to the one-way system. It has a special one-way 6 x 10 mm bearing. I have placed the brass piece before inserting the bearing. This way you could take out the bearing with an extractor resting on this piece.
Sep 13, 2019, 02:31 AM
Thread OP
The rotor head assy .
Sep 18, 2019, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Today I just built the bracket where the rod is held to prevent swash -plate rotation.
I made it from aluminium T3 used on real aicraft,
Sep 18, 2019, 12:07 PM
Some very nice bits of engineering

Joe
Sep 27, 2019, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Another complicated part of the Helix is the landing gear.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to get Dural 4mm thick and later be able to fold it.
I have thought that the best is to build one in carbon and epoxy resin.
For this I have built a mold with the measurements of the plans. On this mold I have stratified 19 layers of carbon unnidirectional fiber(0,3 mm each one ) getting a thickness of 6 mm.
Then I have introduced the set into a vacuum bag for clothes. I think it has been satisfactory.
Now I just have to primmer it first and then paint it.
Last edited by sherpa; Oct 01, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Oct 01, 2019, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Today I finished the bottom axis. To reduce a bit the Helix , I built this shaft using a 6 mm carbon rod, a piece of a 6 mm drill bit and two-sized brass tubes. I do not know if his behavior will be good or not, but I have gone from 120 grms to 32 grms (90 grms less). I will have to try it!
Oct 01, 2019, 05:45 PM
"And for my next magic trick..."

(Looks a bit like a magic wand, sorry).

Really great work, you are doing a lovely job on this.

Quick Reply