Aug 01, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Vintage Rc Helix Autogyro

Hello friends. Here I am again with a new challenge.
I have a small collection of old radio-controlled autogyro kits. The oldest is an Avro Rota C 30 manufactured by Tames Valley Models in 1980. From that time I also have a Wallys from Micro Mold and a Robin from Kalt. All my models are in flight. I have always wanted to have a WIK Helix to complete my small collection.
I know that it is very difficult to get a used model (if you sell one let me know ) , so I have decided try to build one by building the mechanical parts in my small lathe.
Last year I bought an epoxy fuselage manufactured in Germany by R&B Hubentechnik. I also acquired a copy of the plans and the instruction manual.
I also have two Helix article one from Model Builder (1976) and another one in the German magazine Modell (1976).
The articles do not give information of many data that today all
rc autogyros modelers we know they are important.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
When I received the fuselage I could see that the model needed a lot of weight in the nose due to its long tail and the distance between the engine and the main shaft. The articles that I have read do not say anything about the weight on the nose to get a good hanging angle. Hopefully I was wrong but surely almost 1 KG.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
The first thing I have done is start drawing the fuselage frames. In the plan they do not appear for that reason I have built them in cardboard and then I have cut them in 3 mm plywood.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
The fire wall frame of the engine and the one of the base the pylon in 6 mm plywood. I have also placed the 4mm self-locking nuts for the engine and 3 mm for the pylon
Aug 01, 2019, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
To glue the engine frame and make it flush with the fuselage I used a wood with wax and once the epoxy had cured it I removed it.
The same procedure I used with the base pylon
Aug 01, 2019, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
I have decided to put the engine turned to lower the CG and also have a better outlet for the mufller exhaust. This modification has led me to built a new horizontal support for the fuel tank which is now in line with the carburetor.
I think this design is more convenient for good engine operation.
The frame is made of 2 mm plywood. The fuel tank is a 10 oz DU-Bro.
Last edited by sherpa; Sep 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
The fuel tank is easily accessible from the inside.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
removing two 3mm nuts is pulled down without problems
Aug 01, 2019, 12:35 PM
Great project

Have you see this video?

(Just seen you left a comment on the video)

Helix (RC Tragschrauber Gyrocopter) - WiK-Modellbau - 2010mm - Webra 61 - MFG Mistelgau - Peter (3 min 4 sec)
Aug 01, 2019, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
I have modified the main frame of the 3mm plywood fuselage in order to access the fuel tank. I'm going to modify the roll and pitch rods too. The servos of these functions will go in the previous part of the fuselage next to the servos of motor and rudder.
I have an old Huey Cobra from Schluter and I have verified that this system works very well.
In this way I put more weight on the nose. Four servos instead of two
Aug 01, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Joe.
Yes, I have asked him some details of this model. He has kindly answered me but I still lack information. I want to have it finished ready for next year in Murcia. I hope to see you again
Aug 01, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Well, now I start with mechanical parts.
I have already manufactured some pieces, the first one the pylon.
I have lowered it internally to reduce weight.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
I have manufactured the main shaft in 7 mm stainless steel following the measurements that appear in the plan
Aug 01, 2019, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
The next part has been the bearing support for the pre-rotation pulley
Last edited by sherpa; Sep 13, 2019 at 02:29 AM.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
I calculated the hole for this fuselage bearing using a long shaft that passed through the pylon to the base of the fuselage

Quick Reply