Jul 27, 2021, 12:01 AM
Overview of all the new features for Shark Byte in the latest firmware update and how to use them. What a list!

Shark Byte | New features: Pit Mode, Larger OSD, Disable OSD recording, MOV file type, and more! (12 min 35 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2021, 12:55 AM
Has anyone had a failed firmware update on the TX5S.1 with version 23072021? I have three of the TX's, and the first one that I tried to update doesn't seem to be able to broadcast a signal that the RX can recognize. I can see the channel being broadcast via the signal strength indicator, but the RX doesn't let me select the channel.

The other 2 TX's (same TX5S.1 models) were all upgraded without issue.

I tried to flash the older version of the FW, then back to the 23072021 version, and that didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Jul 27, 2021, 02:34 AM
Drone Racing FPV Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_xero
okay need a little help

I followed the video and now when I arm I'm getting the 500mw display on screen even though I set the tables to give me 200...

any one got any idea what I dun wrong here?

I attached a pic
This is a vtx table problem.
Each vtx has it's own vtx table

VTX-R:
Power levels
1 / 2 /3
25 / 200 / 0

VTX-S:
power levels
0 / 1
25/200

VTX-M
power levels
0/1/2
25/200/500

Which vtx do you use ?
Jul 27, 2021, 04:40 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

Fatshark Shark Byte / Byte Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquellet
Okay, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but you should listen and maybe respond to what I have to say. Based on first hand experience flying multiple times a week with DJI/Analog/and SB pilots, this is my take:

It sounds like you don't have much time flying in a group where one pilot is flying DJI and others are on Analog or Shark Byte. It is a bit of a logistical nightmare, but totally doable. The problem you don't bring enough attention to is the fact that the DJI goggles transmit back to the drone. This high energy transmission really messes with nearby pilot's received goggle signals. If there is interference for a DJI system, the DJI goggles and drone transmit at higher and higher output levels which make the DJI system get clearer signal, but stomps on other's signal. This of course can be mitigated some by forcing the DJI goggles to 25mW mode, but almost all DJI pilots scoff at the idea of limiting the output power to a mere 25mW.

We always have a DJI pilot stand 20-30 feet away from any non-DJI pilot, otherwise their are problems with digital interference. When everything is set optimally though (DJI limited to 25mW, separated from any other pilots, and running on 25Mbps mode), we don't have problems with video interference. That's a whole lot of steps though!

What I've seen with Shark Byte is that if I power on on a channel that analog pilot is currently occupying, my received video signal shows static, but is still almost usable. What an analog pilot sees when I power on on the same channel is similar (some static). But a crucial thing is that it doesn't knock the analog pilot's video out. Maybe it would if I transmitted at 500-1000mW like DJI does. Again, maybe this is the real crux of the the problem - the fact that DJI will stomp on other signals in order to maintain good video for the DJI user.

Iím not saying itís not causing issues and yes I have flown around other mixed groups and it takes a bit more management for sure. My point is itís not designed to do that as some have suggested . Itís also no deferent to others things like your RC FHSS in many ways.

The goggles telem link back is limited to being on the same channel as the video in 25mbps mode, this should cause no more interference to others than your RC as long as people are not on the same channel. itís much smaller packets of data being sent back to the airside. Itís literally identical to the RC link in fact from the DJI RC.

Power on of the DJI system for instance is a different matter though as there is a frankly nasty behaviour that the DJI does in that it outputs full RF on channel 8 for about 1s when the goggles and Airunit connect. This happens on channel 8 regardless of what your have your channel set too and power set to. Itís a large burst of 1200mw or so RF. that often what kills other pilots as if they are in 50Mbps mode the RC and telem link remains on that channel regardless.

That will also be whatís wiping out the others too but it should not really trigger failsafe on other RC that are FHSS as they should be able to recover from that.

This specific behaviour is just sloppy imo and needs to be changed.

The telem link from goggles to the air end is really no different to a any other RF on the band or your RC upping other than itís not full FHSS. The bigger issue thatís come to light is really the poor co channel rejection of many analog system thatís been brought to light by digital as they simply have not been designed to reject this.

There is no question that shark byte is easier on the band GS side as you donít have the returning link, you also donít have that massive power spike. In multi system type the Shark Byte will play better out the door. DJI have not intentionally made a system thatís trying to ďwinĒ the RF war with other system above all else, itís really just the overall behaviour that has come together to make it the gorilla on the band.

I donít think DJI had any real concern with flying with other analog for instance as they would have just assumed you will ALL fly DJI .

Could they have done more to make it more compatible with Analog absolutely but then that would have reduced feature set like the bidirectional controls.

Shark Byte is starting to recover that lost fictionally with smart audio so thatís a good thing. Just a little more invasive to set up for the user.

DJI would have simply have ignored the fact others fly other system period as thatís how they are.

In racing environments SB wins for sure on many levels

Anyhow Iím going to update the firmware on my units. Going to fly it later. Iím ordering in the new board today to play too.

Also for folks information canvas mode Support should be going into Ardupilot Master any day now for those who what to use shark-byte with it. I have tested it my self and all looks good so far.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jul 27, 2021 at 05:13 AM.
Jul 27, 2021, 07:54 AM
First time SB user, setup everything but get no camera feed. I can enter setup and scan mode, see activity on CH1 however when I click left for video I only get a blank screen? Clicking thru channels 1-8 shows same blank screen. VTX (whoop), Runcam. VTX has both red and blue LED's lit. I examined the HD connector ends under magnification and they look fine. Just got yesterday from GETFPV, did not update firmware. Are there any diagnostics? Normally I would swap out cam or cable but I have one this one. Did try another monitor, same result. Thx.
Jul 27, 2021, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgt400
First time SB user, setup everything but get no camera feed. I can enter setup and scan mode, see activity on CH1 however when I click left for video I only get a blank screen? Clicking thru channels 1-8 shows same blank screen. VTX (whoop), Runcam. VTX has both red and blue LED's lit. I examined the HD connector ends under magnification and they look fine. Just got yesterday from GETFPV, did not update firmware. Are there any diagnostics? Normally I would swap out cam or cable but I have one this one. Did try another monitor, same result. Thx.
Sounds like a firmware mismatch. Update both module and vtx with the latest firmware and check again.
Jul 27, 2021, 10:11 AM
I figured what it came would should work seeing that the newest release was last night! Possible they shipped me a TX & RX with different firmware I guess. Will update tonight, looks pretty simple.
Jul 27, 2021, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgt400
I figured what it came would should work seeing that the newest release was last night! Possible they shipped me a TX & RX with different firmware I guess. Will update tonight, looks pretty simple.
Yep we had a few releases this year so chances are big to get a firmware mismatch if you buy a vtx and vrx. But you are right, updating really is simple.
Last edited by dischinator; Jul 27, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
Jul 27, 2021, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVins
This is a vtx table problem.
Each vtx has it's own vtx table

VTX-R:
Power levels
1 / 2 /3
25 / 200 / 0

VTX-S:
power levels
0 / 1
25/200

VTX-M
power levels
0/1/2
25/200/500

Which vtx do you use ?
I've got the 500 the vtx-m I'm trying to set up right now, but I've got it configured just as you've stated here

check the picture attached
Last edited by el_xero; Jul 27, 2021 at 01:40 PM.
Jul 27, 2021, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquellet
Overview of all the new features for Shark Byte in the latest firmware update and how to use them. What a list!

https://youtu.be/XbomxBnozwM
awesome stuff thanks..

I have a couple observations though.

during playback of the raw files you've left for us to check out the HDzero cam, I'm still getting frame skips on the video after a short time viewing.
The way I got around that is to just hit ffw as soon as it starts to skip then pause it after half a second or so and then play again.

next the vrx unit gets really hot during video play back. I only tried it with your file I don't know if it happens with my files.

and one question.

looking at the raw footage from the hdzero cam on my goggle. I'm not seeing much of a difference between the runcam nano with the lens mod
vs the hdzero to be honest.

To me both videos look essentially the same? I mean aside from the low light handling and back light handling capabilities of the HD zero I'm seeing its about the same video quality.

of course I won't know for sure until I get my hands on one. (fingers crossed very soon and I'll do a side by side) but anyway yeah.. just my initial observations.

the runcam mipi on dji looks much much better for sure. I can only guess this has to do with the hq mode at 50mbs that the dji allows for?
I'm thinking since sharkbyte is limited to; what was it 27mbs? That this could be the reason?...

I don't know much about this but I'd have to guess that's what's going on here?

anyways patiently waiting to get my hands on one.
Last edited by el_xero; Jul 27, 2021 at 03:06 PM.
Jul 27, 2021, 02:34 PM
notveryprettyboy
I personally believe the quality is better. I just really don't think the lens is right yet. Yeah we don't want to spend a fortune on a camera, but a nice, clean polished, blemish free set of lenses would really do sb justice.
Runcam I think is cheaping out. They must be outsourcing the lenses, but not really getting what we really want - a hd quality lens
Jul 27, 2021, 03:08 PM
A little bug ? Saw these random figures in my view and had left the cross hairs on in betaflight apparently which I normally don't use.Took me a minute to figure out what they were...seems their world space coordinates are off a bit ...
All else is great. A little unnerving being able to see my video antennas go in and out of focus now..lol...
Jul 27, 2021, 03:17 PM

errrr... that's weird

So I went fooling around the vtx menu in beta flight, setting up my vtx to run at 500mw when I arm.
I tested this and saw 500mw on screen okay so far...
decided to reconnect to beta and lo-and behold... suddenly there's a new power level added on its own labeled at lv3? and my power setting has been
reset to 25 mw?

errr.... I got gremlins? lol

check out the picture.
Jul 27, 2021, 03:21 PM
Drone Racing FPV Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_xero
I've got the 500 the vtx-m I'm trying to set up right now, but I've got it configured just as you've stated here

check the picture attached
Try with power values :
1 / 2 / 3 instead of 0 / 1 / 2
I perhaps make a mistake
Jul 27, 2021, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVins
Try with power values :
1 / 2 / 3 instead of 0 / 1 / 2
I perhaps make a mistake
You know what I don't think you made a mistake at all.

I just finished bench testing again and...well there must be a bug somewhere because after It did all that crazy stuff I talked about earlier,
It suddenly started working properly.... weird.

I thought perhaps the settings I've inputted into the "selected mode" section on the top half of the page
had something to do with the strange behavior so I started messing around with them.

I've tested all the settings in the power and low power disarm sections separately and together hoping to see the strangeness and I got nada.

it kept staying in the correct settings each time and behaving like it should. I went ahead and test it with the 1, 2, 3 and it works with that setting
as well. so 012 works and 123 works?

I'm just going to leave it at 123 and be done with it.

A note about the recording modes guys

There was a user much earlier in the form who mentioned that recording in the .TS format was a great move because there was greater chance
of being able to record the last few seconds of your flight before powering down as compared with other file formats.

Well from my testing just now I can confirm that there is something to this.

I've noticed that in the "auto record" mode, the MOV format isn't the best.

During my testing just now, I did multiple channel changes, powered up and down the vrx.
This gave me many .mov files each time the goggle powered back on, however, 98% of those files were corrupted.

I'd suggest that those wanting to use the .MOV format switch from "auto record" to "manual" instead and use the jog wheel for starting
and stopping recordings.

Simply pressing it straight in starts and stops the recording process.

Those using the .TS format will not have issues with the "auto record" setting regardless of intentional or accidental powering down of the vrx as the
files, (all of them) will remain intact and will have information on them.

Sucks for editing but, I guess we can't have it all.

Quick Reply