Sep 18, 2019, 10:36 AM
DumbThumbsFPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
that's why it appeals so well to the DJI customer base they already have amassed. the air unit makes any 2" as fast and nimble as a phantom.
LMAO... I think people are just drinking Koolaid and hype at this point. No sub $300 RTF from BG is gonna have the air unit preinstalled and that is what drives and gets new people into the hobby. Analog will be with us for a very very long time. HD is nice and in 5 years it too will plateau. New people in the UK,Canada,NZ and Australia will want to stay away from regs so they will fly under 250g with analog.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 PM
masterless samurai
Any news on this? I am so on the fence with DJI's stuff right now and just scraping to get some news to help me hold out.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:22 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
I’m with you! I have a love/hate relationship with DJI. I’m super impressed with the capabilities, but I absolutely abhor their software updates and update processes (brick my 2 month old $13,000.00 IR gimbal so I have to physically mail it back? From your bad software update that you’ve known about for 5 months but still left it up on your site for others to enjoy? REALLY?!), so I’m really hoping Fatshark gives us some kind of update, or rough timeline...
Sep 18, 2019, 12:30 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
I’m hoping Fatshark has live audio. It’s super helpful and fun when doing ground FPV.

How many here want live audio?
Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
Iím hoping Fatshark has live audio. Itís super helpful and fun when doing ground FPV.

How many here want live audio?
+1!! That is actually one of the main reasons I haven't purchased the Dji-system.. I need live audio for my type of flying. Also I need a lot more OSD data.. like mah, altitude, airspeed, gps sats etc.. at least for my planes..

Would love to do bush flying like this with live HD!! And I'm hopeful that FatShark will deliver on this
Multiplex Fun Cub Fpv-landings across the lake (10 min 45 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift

Any digital solution is going to cost a lot to outfit a dozen quads. Which is why you don't transition all at once, just your mains. (Do you really need a dozen? lol)
I didn't say I had a dozen quads did I? I said a dozen FPV aircraft, which is a mix of quads (e.g. whoop class, one 65mm, two 5 inch, one 6 inch) and a bunch of fixed wing (2 Goblin (one powered, one slope), 2 NG (one powered one slope), Skyhunter, Graugans, Edelweiss, 3m fpv sailplane, fixed wing relay), and those are just the ones full of gear and flyable on short notice.
I've got several more that are either in need of repairs or have had some of their gear scavenged.
None of my current quads will fit the DJI air unit, and it's pretty porky for the Nano Goblin.
I'm here in the Byte Frost thread, because it promised to be significantly smaller and lighter.
The rest of my fixed wing fleet are all 1.3Ghz for long range and/or low level penetration and most have full Vector OSD will all manner of useful information which can't be displayed on an HD feed, yet.

Anyway... Since all we're doing is filling a vacuum with noise here until Byte Frost is reworked some months from now.. probably time to take a break from this thread.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:28 PM
masterless samurai
[double post]
Sep 18, 2019, 01:31 PM
masterless samurai
+1 kajillion billion on the audio!! I didn't even think of that.

Honestly, I don't need it to be as "good" as DJI's. I would be willing to sacrifice a bit on quality if it meant none of this closed garden nonsense. Granted, DJI went miles further than they typically would in at least making it Betaflight configurable and able to work with other RXs but ... great? I dropped serious coin on my analog (read: Fatshark) system and I'd be damned if all that went obsolete on account of their ivory tower complacency.

My wishlist is pretty humble I'd like to think:

1) module that will work with my not-so-cheap HDOs

2) see #1

And if you can make it 20x20 form factor, well that would be like Christmas and Easter all in one day!

End of the day, Fatshark needs to realize that the sunk cost of all their equipment will justify an "inferior" product. Heck, isn't that why many of us settle for Android over Apple? In addition to the lower cost, the garden is wide open?

And as for the Fatshark defenders ... bro. Cmon man. We did PAY for the stuff right? Doesn't that, by definition, make us all even stephen for their "pioneering" hard work? Add to this the risk of being earl adopters ... I don't know that we need to defend the complacency so much.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle
New people in the UK,Canada,NZ and Australia will want to stay away from regs so they will fly under 250g with analog.
Kinda moot point if you have to be at 25mw to stay legal anyway, HD stutter and lag at 25mw would be unflyable and why would you pay more money for more weight to be capped like that.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:27 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxington
Kinda moot point if you have to be at 25mw to stay legal anyway, HD stutter and lag at 25mw would be unflyable and why would you pay more money for more weight to be capped like that.
I have the DJI RE which is locked at 25mw on 5.8ghz and while the very short range makes it a very overpriced gimmick, when it did work reliably for an entire flight it was far from unflyable, in fact it was a serious glimpse into our HD fpv future that we are now entering. On minimum CE power I was very surprised how well it performed at 25mw +/- 300 metres given it is a HD downlink.
Even Davide with his fpv.blue achieved a very surprising range.
I have no doubt FS can achieve much the same performance, living in hope there will be some way to unlock full power though.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:34 AM
Pfft all my quads are 249g with 25mw vtxs, even the ones that weigh 2kg

Digital video is not capped to 25 anyway as far as I know; I think you can put out 2w in AU for digital telemetry. Not that it matters because the laws are unenforceable.

It's all antennas anyway. With 25mw and the right gear you can talk to the moon.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
Pfft all my quads are 249g with 25mw vtxs, even the ones that weigh 2kg

Digital video is not capped to 25 anyway as far as I know; I think you can put out 2w in AU for digital telemetry. Not that it matters because the laws are unenforceable.

It's all antennas anyway. With 25mw and the right gear you can talk to the moon.
Lol this has always been my approach... why on earth are you worried about unenforceable bureaucratic BS?
Sep 19, 2019, 08:01 AM
Aalesund, Norway
After just getting the DJI system and doing a very few testflights I now think Fatshark and others in the same business need to exceed their own limitations to survive.
The DJI FPV far exceeds what I expected. The system is far from perfect but the next editions should easily smooth these imperfections.
But as good as it is I find it strange that they missed on simple things like google fit.

I hope all the best for Fatshark Byte Frost. I would rather put my money with FS than DJI. But I am not sure they can compete.
Sep 19, 2019, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginoandres
Lol this has always been my approach... why on earth are you worried about unenforceable bureaucratic BS?
Exactly my thoughts, how many times has someone been approached and their equipment tested?
Sep 19, 2019, 01:06 PM
Getting my DJI unit tomorrow. Putting it on a Eachine Wizard X220 which I got for $99.00 on flash sale. Has SP Racing FC without OSD chip which is perfect for the DJI. They are working on a full OSD for their goggles which will be configured via Betaflight and Inav (according to Drib).

Quick Reply