Dec 14, 2019, 10:49 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester9
Yup .24 works great just had a test flight. Breakup is even less visible but i put the wrong sd card in ByF(too slow) so i didn't get dvr unfortunately. I'm flying with the transformer but I'm looking forward to using the gs again with my hd3. Too windy atm.
Did you notice a tad more noise in 60fps with the .24? Once again, I took still shots of the footage, one each for 50fps and 60fps respectively.. see the attachments below. Similar to .23fw, the 50fps looks better than 60fps in terms of smoother edges and clarity. I noticed that the scaling is different now.

With .23, 60fps gave a more “close-up” image than 50fps.
Now with .24, 50fps produces a more “close-up” image than 60fps. This is a good move because jagged edges (in 60fps) are less obvious when objects are smaller. Unfortunately, there appears to be more noise now in 60fps. It isn’t radio noise (not the same as “450mw snow artifacts” ) but some kind of white-balance compensation noise. I have not changed my BTW settings so the camera is in the default “Indoor” mode the whole time.

The 50fps in .24 looks really good though, very clear just like before but more close-up. Looking at the file size of the DVR recordings for 50fps and 60fps, the 60fps almost doubled in file size so this might do the trick for combating YT’s auto-quality-degradation. However, the 50fps looks noticeably better than 60fps thru the view of my Transformer so I am sticking to 50fps for the best FPV experience.
I don’t have a HDO or HDO2 to test whether the above behavior applies to the HDMI output so my judgement may not be true for your goggles’ experience.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I'll try to stick to this thread...
I will try out the 50 setting later if i can get out, it's been raining a bit. I noticed some things on the dvr like you are talking about terence, I'm still going over my footage and not seeing much difference from last update.
During flying however, it's really nice. I was flying around on 25mw and thought i was on 200mw with the range i was getting. I switched it to 450mw and pushed it a bit further but had a couple of drops that recovered instantly, so i came back from a good km+ in my 6inch alien.
Signal penetration does seem a bit more solid and I'm going to swith back to my x2air instead of the 10-turn cannon. The Skyhammers are working great but for best performance they should be on their extensions.
Bring on the 20x20 stack i want this in a micro lol!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 03:41 PM
the.ronin
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Highly Offensive Content (Immediate suspension).
Dec 14, 2019, 07:24 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Dang it. I hate when I miss a members very last post ever.
Dec 14, 2019, 07:39 PM
Is iNav support on the roadmap for BFr?
Dec 14, 2019, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'll try to stick to this thread...
I will try out the 50 setting later if i can get out, it's been raining a bit. I noticed some things on the dvr like you are talking about terence, I'm still going over my footage and not seeing much difference from last update.
During flying however, it's really nice. I was flying around on 25mw and thought i was on 200mw with the range i was getting. I switched it to 450mw and pushed it a bit further but had a couple of drops that recovered instantly, so i came back from a good km+ in my 6inch alien.
Signal penetration does seem a bit more solid and I'm going to swith back to my x2air instead of the 10-turn cannon. The Skyhammers are working great but for best performance they should be on their extensions.
Bring on the 20x20 stack i want this in a micro lol!
Would be interesting to see a video of your 6inch alien pushing 1km+. The image recovery from full “static” is almost immediate now, which is really nice.
Dec 15, 2019, 10:21 AM
Byte Frost just received a new update! Early adopters please see the latest firmware ->

0E.F4.24 (DEC 12, 2019) - Improved noise reduction algorithms, support more OSD options (battery warning, GPS), support PID tuning and VTX settings through RC radio, improved DVR quality (higher bitrate).

https://fatshark.helpscoutdocs.com/a...162-byte-frost
Dec 15, 2019, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Yup .24 works great just had a test flight. Breakup is even less visible but i put the wrong sd card in ByF(too slow) so i didn't get dvr unfortunately. I'm flying with the transformer but I'm looking forward to using the gs again with my hd3. Too windy atm.
Ouch, I got that yellow pop up dialog “sdcard too slow” which you mentioned. Nearly crashed into a tree because it blocked the center of the image. It only popped up after 10seconds during recording. Hence, I did not pick up this issue yesterday when recording very short clips of 50fps and 60fps for image analysis. This must be due to the “improved DVR” change in the .24 as we didn’t get this error with .23. Fortunately for me, my quad has a Mobius action cam onboard and I simply switched the sdcard of the GS with the Mobius’s. It worked flawlessly after the swap but what’s interesting is the two cards are Sandisk class 10 (same model too). The one that worked was 32gb and the one which didn’t was 16gb. Hmm, weird stuff .. the good news were I was able to notice an improvement in terms of image reception. Instead of getting an enormous amount of white blocks(ByF snow) at the usual weak signal spots, I was getting very-quick flickers of the whole screen. At first, I was skeptical and got prepared to bail out in case the flicker turned into that scary “full static” freeze. After a while, I realized that my worries were unfounded. The “flickers” are in fact a good thing (improved anti-noise algorithm I guess), just requires some time to get used to it.
Dec 15, 2019, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
Ouch, I got that yellow pop up dialog “sdcard too slow” which you mentioned. Nearly crashed into a tree because it blocked the center of the image. It only popped up after 10seconds during recording. Hence, I did not pick up this issue yesterday when recording very short clips of 50fps and 60fps for image analysis. This must be due to the “improved DVR” change in the .24 as we didn’t get this error with .23. Fortunately for me, my quad has a Mobius action cam onboard and I simply switched the sdcard of the GS with the Mobius’s. It worked flawlessly after the swap but what’s interesting is the two cards are Sandisk class 10 (same model too). The one that worked was 32gb and the one which didn’t was 16gb. Hmm, weird stuff .. the good news were I was able to notice an improvement in terms of image reception. Instead of getting an enormous amount of white blocks(ByF snow) at the usual weak signal spots, I was getting very-quick flickers of the whole screen. At first, I was skeptical and got prepared to bail out in case the flicker turned into that scary “full static” freeze. After a while, I realized that my worries were unfounded. The “flickers” are in fact a good thing (improved anti-noise algorithm I guess), just requires some time to get used to it.
Oh yes i meant to mention that again to Greg to get that warning moved to the edge of the screen. I almost crashed my qwad because of the warning blocking the centre of the screen!

Looks like the card needs to be a U3 class 10 as bitrates are getting really high at points according to daemon. Once I switched i got a good run but i need to do another lr run tomorrow with the good card in.
Dec 15, 2019, 01:15 PM
In .23 the DVR recorded at a relatively fixed 16MBit/s.
With .24 it averages 65-75Mbit/s for normal low level flying, but can spike to
over 100Mbit/s when it's trying to record noise (which is incompressible).
This ensures the DVR recording captures pretty much everything you're
seeing, but most of the increase will still be lost to YT compression.
Upscaled to [email protected], YT re-encoding will max out around 20Mbit/s, and even
allowing for the fact that YT will use VP9 codec (aka NVENC/H.265) which is
about twice as efficient as H.264) practically speaking, it means that
having the DVR record at anything over 40Mbit/s is just a waste of card space.
720p doesn't really contain that much information.
Last edited by Daemon; Dec 15, 2019 at 01:39 PM.
Dec 16, 2019, 10:07 AM
Would be really nice to put ByF in one of my Draks but they use vector or inav osd so hopefully it's possible in future updates.

Another thought is the possibility of 2.4ghz Bytefrost? as so many people use tbs crossfire anymore.

Going to get out today and test at 60fps in "fine" mode instead of super-fine. Hope the sun comes out it's been so dreary.
Dec 16, 2019, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
In .23 the DVR recorded at a relatively fixed 16MBit/s.
With .24 it averages 65-75Mbit/s for normal low level flying, but can spike to
over 100Mbit/s when it's trying to record noise (which is incompressible).
This ensures the DVR recording captures pretty much everything you're
seeing, but most of the increase will still be lost to YT compression.
Upscaled to [email protected], YT re-encoding will max out around 20Mbit/s, and even
allowing for the fact that YT will use VP9 codec (aka NVENC/H.265) which is
about twice as efficient as H.264) practically speaking, it means that
having the DVR record at anything over 40Mbit/s is just a waste of card space.
720p doesn't really contain that much information.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I wonder how different this is, from the DJI goggles’ DVR.
Your uploads (with the 1440p upscale) already look pretty good, do you reckon this improvement in the ByF DVR will make future uploads any better?
Dec 16, 2019, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Would be really nice to put ByF in one of my Draks but they use vector or inav osd so hopefully it's possible in future updates.

Another thought is the possibility of 2.4ghz Bytefrost? as so many people use tbs crossfire anymore.

Going to get out today and test at 60fps in "fine" mode instead of super-fine. Hope the sun comes out it's been so dreary.
Well, isn't that awesome. I turned off auto record when changing settings and forgot to hit record on my 1300m tour just now. I got the session 5 footage but I'm going out again to record the dvr this time. Grrr!
Signal was amazing the whole way so i might go for 1500m+. This area must be very low-noise but there are towers around.

*ok i got in a few flights and will edit this and get the vid up showing great reception at 1k+ in my 6inch alien. 60fps @ "fine" setting, 450mw.
Know that this area is mostly fields and the trees are pretty bare. I was pushing 2k earlier and i have gopro footage from that.
If they can tidy up the signal anymore on this v1 vtx I'd be surprised, my 800mw tbs isn't getting as consistent a signal as ByF.
I didn't reach the end of the ByF signal yet but now that i have gps rescue (it's working) i will go for it next time the weather cooperates.
Last edited by jester9; Dec 16, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Dec 18, 2019, 12:16 PM
As the byte frost air unit, micro luminier CP antenna and runcam-HD camera weigh about 26g, that is twice the weight of analog 600mw vtx stuff, my quad was having annoying wobbles in flight. I hooked up the old generic naze32 of the quad to CleanFlight and it said “setup is only available after upgrading firmware version”, Chrome must have upgraded my CleanFlight as it was more than a year since I used it. As I did not want to use CLI commands to change PIDs, I clicked on the “Flash Firmware” button. Bad mistake! The programming failed and bricked my flight controller! The 2016 board appeared to be too old for even the oldest CF firmware in the drop down selection.

I had to desolder the dsm2 rx to access the boot loader pads and short them with a jumper wire. CF was able to read the board after that but still giving the same flash failure. In the end, I used betaflight and flashed it with a BetaFlight’s naze fw. Thank goodness, it worked!
Last edited by terencechan; Dec 18, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Dec 18, 2019, 08:07 PM
DesertEagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
As the byte frost air unit, micro luminier CP antenna and runcam-HD camera weigh about 26g, that is twice the weight of analog 600mw vtx stuff, my quad was having annoying wobbles in flight. I hooked up the old generic naze32 of the quad to CleanFlight and it said “setup is only available after upgrading firmware version”, Chrome must have upgraded my CleanFlight as it was more than a year since I used it. As I did not want to use CLI commands to change PIDs, I clicked on the “Flash Firmware” button. Bad mistake! The programming failed and bricked my flight controller! The 2016 board appeared to be too old for even the oldest CF firmware in the drop down selection.

I had to desolder the dsm2 rx to access the boot loader pads and short them with a jumper wire. CF was able to read the board after that but still giving the same flash failure. In the end, I used betaflight and flashed it with a BetaFlight’s naze fw. Thank goodness, it worked!
oh man that is some old stuff.. cleanflight is still around? Glad you were able to get it working again.. I have some old quads I wanted to update last weekend as well but was thinking they may brick if I update them..

Quick Reply