Aug 01, 2019, 04:09 AM
Drones + Cloud !
Thread OP
New Product

Fatshark Byte Frost

720p at 60fps via the HDMI input of the fatshark goggle
30x30 board with camera

Specs are coming

Fatshark HD FPV System first test - HDZero based system (1 min 42 sec)

Seems from:
https://www.hd-zero.com/
Last edited by MultirotorDrones; Aug 03, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2019, 07:36 AM
the most important question is: will it be a groundstation connected via HDMI or will it be a Goggle Module
Aug 01, 2019, 07:39 AM
Based on the size of the chip it can be, and hopefully it will be small enough for being a module on the vrx side. But how will be the signal directed to the displays? I believe it only handles analog signal. There will be a cable from the module to the hdmi in connector? How much is it going to add to the latency? Too many questions. We will need official response to have the details.
Aug 01, 2019, 10:53 AM
https://www.hd-zero.com/

Thats likely what it is. Most of the important specs available at this link, but as a backup, heres a screenshot:
Last edited by RadMulRot; Aug 01, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Aug 01, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsly
Based on the size of the chip it can be, and hopefully it will be small enough for being a module on the vrx side. But how will be the signal directed to the displays? I believe it only handles analog signal. There will be a cable from the module to the hdmi in connector? How much is it going to add to the latency? Too many questions. We will need official response to have the details.
It would have to require a mod of some sort or go through HDMI. You are correct that the Rx module interface only interfaces to an analog line.
Aug 01, 2019, 11:09 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
So the FS goggles have to have new improved optics/lens for the monitor inside them to output 720p+ to our eyes.

Does my current HDO goggles output 720p+?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Aug 01, 2019, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
So the FS goggles have to have new improved optics/lens for the monitor inside them to output 720p+ to our eyes.

Does my current HDO goggles output 720p+?
HDO' supports HDMI-in up to @ 1080P, but of course the screens aren't 1080p.
Aug 01, 2019, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabireiter
the most important question is: will it be a groundstation connected via HDMI or will it be a Goggle Module
The receiver is a Transformer sized case with 5.5" 720p screen and recording. It outputs 16:9 and 4:3 mode (sides cropped) to work with all goggle formats. I've designed a holder for the Taranis radio which will likely be available as an accessory.

Fat Shark
Aug 02, 2019, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark
The receiver is a Transformer sized case with 5.5" 720p screen and recording. It outputs 16:9 and 4:3 mode (sides cropped) to work with all goggle formats. I've designed a holder for the Taranis radio which will likely be available as an accessory.

Fat Shark
Hi Greg, That is deal breaker for some(most?), including myself. The (near) future should be a new goggles with HD module bay. It is doable, since DM5680 chip and necessary electronics is small enough for that.
Aug 02, 2019, 02:21 AM
One of the biggest gripes reviewers have with the new DJI system is that it requires that
you buy their proprietary expensive goggles to use it. I much prefer a standalone
HD VRX with HDMI output that I can feed to whichever goggles I prefer, whether that's
HDO, Transformers, Headplays.. etc.
If this is really based on HDZERO tech, then it looks like different VRXs with two
and four antenna diversity are options, and interestingly the ability to plug in an
analog SD camera, and run it over the HD link. That would allow one to show BF OSD
on what is hopefully a more stable link. I am curious if there will
be any provision for telemetry or control in the digital link, or OSD on the HD
image. The only real downside I see is that the onboard DVR is a separate
board, so two layers in the stack for VTX+DVR.

For me though, the "dealbreaker" in any HD link is how gracefully it degrades.
Up till now, most have been pretty terrifying when pushed to the limits.
Aug 02, 2019, 07:24 AM
Many of us use 4:3 cams and goggles. If this vtx transmits only 16:9 and vrx crops the picture to 4:3, then it will likely be useless for us because too much of the picture will be cropped off
Aug 02, 2019, 08:46 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
One of the biggest gripes reviewers have with the new DJI system is that it requires that
you buy their proprietary expensive goggles to use it. I much prefer a standalone
HD VRX with HDMI output that I can feed to whichever goggles I prefer, whether that's
HDO, Transformers, Headplays.. etc.
If this is really based on HDZERO tech, then it looks like different VRXs with two
and four antenna diversity are options, and interestingly the ability to plug in an
analog SD camera, and run it over the HD link. That would allow one to show BF OSD
on what is hopefully a more stable link. I am curious if there will
be any provision for telemetry or control in the digital link, or OSD on the HD
image. The only real downside I see is that the onboard DVR is a separate
board, so two layers in the stack for VTX+DVR.

For me though, the "dealbreaker" in any HD link is how gracefully it degrades.
Up till now, most have been pretty terrifying when pushed to the limits.
Id much rather have a pole mountable receiver and antenna array, and just plug in a separate pair of super light goggles.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:55 AM
Reading the facebook post it doesn't seem like this is a finished product. It's a knee jerk reaction to getting flak by people over the DJI release.

At the very least, they should have to made it compatible with all of their goggles (especially the new releases this summer) - or made all of their new goggles compatible with it - knowing that they were going to release it a month after they came out. I think that is pathetic not to give customers a chance to make an informed decision.

It just reeks like it wasn't going to be released for a year or two and now they have had their hand forced.
Last edited by propsdeepcanada; Aug 02, 2019 at 09:31 AM.
Aug 02, 2019, 09:47 AM
I think they got trumped big time by DJI!
Aug 02, 2019, 10:05 AM
You all realize that they can't "just make it compatible" with their existing goggles? There's little to no point of playing a 720p HD video into a SD screen. If you wanna get HD video in your goggles, you're gonna need to most likely go Box goggle for an AIO setup, just because of the size of the required receiver and the screen resolution. If you wanna just plug it into your HD3s or HDOs, the receiver has to be like/tripod mounted and you're gonna introduce latency because of the HDMI encoding in the goggles.

For those saying they just did this because of DJI, while you may be correct, I feel like DJI and fatshark play to 2 very different consumer bases. The nice part about fatshark is you don't need to buy everything from them, it appears you'd only need the VRX and VTX, and the camera, screen and control link would be your choice. With DJI, you're stuck with their camera, radio, and goggles and I'd imagine, they're inevitably gonna roll out geofencing limits to it, as they did it with all their other quads.

Quick Reply