Dec 03, 2020, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
So if I read correct not "standard" DJI FPV goggle compatible?

I don't see a lot of interesting things than. There are a lot of good BNF quads now coming out with GPS so RTH is not that big of a deal. Things like Inav becomes more and more interesting for quads as well.

So not sure what this is going to offer for us hobby pilots, what's left sounds like a "Quad for Noobs" but overpriced when I think about "Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom money" ?

Somewhere in the line of 800 to 1100 bucks?

Sorry but this must be a joke.. no matter how nice it will fly and how good the camera footage is, who in their right mind would buy this if it isn't even compatible with the existing Digital FPV system?

Sorry to sound so negative, but what else to say..
how about stop talking till something official is out. Why do you think there is no compatibility with the current goggles? The pics we have seen look identical to the existing goggles. just stop assuming stuff and wait, your gonna confused everyone and yourself.

For me this quad could be a nice addition, i have the need for a go pro flying quad that can fly closer to 15mins than 4-5mins, get stabilized footage but not gimbal, and much faster than a mavic or similar platform. We film wakeboarding and like the ability with the fpv drone to fly around the rider will he is doing tricks. If this can accomplish this
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2020, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
So if I read correct not "standard" DJI FPV goggle compatible?

I don't see a lot of interesting things than. There are a lot of good BNF quads now coming out with GPS so RTH is not that big of a deal. Things like Inav becomes more and more interesting for quads as well.

So not sure what this is going to offer for us hobby pilots, what's left sounds like a "Quad for Noobs" but overpriced when I think about "Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom money" ?

Somewhere in the line of 800 to 1100 bucks?

Sorry but this must be a joke.. no matter how nice it will fly and how good the camera footage is, who in their right mind would buy this if it isn't even compatible with the existing Digital FPV system?

Sorry to sound so negative, but what else to say..
If I can get crazy stable 4K 60fps high bit-rate footage from something I can fly like one of my FPV quads (probably more cautiously I admit) this DJI drone could be a game changer. You say we can build something similar, can you? Can you place a GoPro 7, 8, 9 on a two axis gimbal on a 5" quad with GPS? You know I bet you can, but it'll fly like a dog, the gimbal would struggle to stabilize the heavy Gopro, and forget about crashing to any degree. You'd probably end up with a huge 7" quad which costs about $1k to assemble anyways...$1500 with camera...at that point the DJI quad starts to look reeeeeal good.

Edit: Just look at this build: https://rotorbuilds.com/build/25282
Easily over $1500 in the quadcopter itself, I'd bet money the DJI drone would offer and even better result in a smaller for polished package.
Last edited by PerceivedShift; Dec 03, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
Dec 03, 2020, 09:47 AM
I would be interested in one of these quads if I can use my current goggles and the controller isn't too expensive. So long as they don't have all the Big Brother remote ID stuff like the newer mavics.
Dec 03, 2020, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I think they just mean that the piloting experience will be more like a fixed wing aircraft than a quad, because
they'll be stuck in angle mode or equivalent. They do appear to have angled the arms a bit forward though.
FWIW, I do have a couple regular race quads with vertical arms and they actually do generate lift at speed, and
are not great for dropping down buildings and cliffs because they track forward even when
the motors are at idle.
Sorry but I can´t see how flying in angle mode can be considered more similar to a fixed wing aircraft. IMHO it´s the other way around, it´s acro what could be considered similar, constant throttle, not too many inputs in the right stick, roll and pitch respond similar to ailerons and elevator at least in FFF... but flying in angle means pushing the right stick forward constantly even for slow FF, and you know what a fixed wing will do if you push the right stick forward

Anycase, if it´s a marketing campaign trying to find any common sense is absurd
Dec 03, 2020, 10:36 AM
Drones like the mavic pro and Fimi have airplane modes where throttle increases your forward speed and the sticks behave more or less like a plane. This could be what they mean.
Dec 03, 2020, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
If I can get crazy stable 4K 60fps high bit-rate footage from something I can fly like one of my FPV quads (probably more cautiously I admit) this DJI drone could be a game changer. You say we can build something similar, can you? Can you place a GoPro 7, 8, 9 on a two axis gimbal on a 5" quad with GPS? You know I bet you can, but it'll fly like a dog, the gimbal would struggle to stabilize the heavy Gopro, and forget about crashing to any degree. You'd probably end up with a huge 7" quad which costs about $1k to assemble anyways...$1500 with camera...at that point the DJI quad starts to look reeeeeal good.

Easily over $1500 in the quadcopter itself, I'd bet money the DJI drone would offer and even better result in a smaller for polished package.
The limiting factor, IMHO, Is the GoPro itself. They are far too large/heavy for small aircraft use. If GoPro would simply bring back the session with better specs or make an even smaller cam, the only advantage the DJI machine has over diy builds would be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez
It is said... that speaks volumes about the reliability of the statement

Airflow around an arm is (almost) vertical, so there´s no way it can work as a fixed-wing wing. And even if it could, a 3cm chord wing and 10cm span is useless
That statement probably came from someone who's used to flying stabilized quads LOL. Flying a heavy cruising machine "cinematic style" in acro mode does feel sort of fixed wing like. I doubt they are talking about the "weightless" feeling that a quad that generates lift has.
Dec 03, 2020, 11:01 AM
That airplane mode as available for Mavics has absolutely nothing to do with the kind an airplane is behaving. It's almost useless.
Dec 03, 2020, 11:14 AM
Launch the drones ...
Not all planes fly the same - IOW - what type of plane are the quad marketeers trying to say the quad emulates?
  • Some planes are self leveling - and fly more like angle mode than acro mode.
  • Other planes - pattern fliers for instance - they got no lift or self leveling whatsoever (perfectly symmetrical airfoils) - and keep on going where they are pointed - and those fly like pure acro mode.
And of course ... planes don't fall out of the sky when you cut the throttle.

So - you gotta wonder which type of plane the quad marketeers are going on about - when they suggest that their quad has an airplane mode.
Dec 03, 2020, 11:17 AM
I haven't read much about users enjoying airplane mode on their camera drones or if they do talk about it, it usually involves crashing into something since the drone doesn't stop when you let go of the sticks like a normal drone in gps mode.
Dec 03, 2020, 11:50 AM
We can get hung up on the details, but the point is, you cannot safely pilot in a full Acro mode
or equivalent, through a stabilized camera view, and this quad is clearly designed to go fast
forward so there will have to be some sort of semi-autonomous mode to make it possible.
I envision the end result would look something like this.
A Grand Tour (4 min 58 sec)

Anyway, someone should really create a separate thread for this new quad,
otherwise it'll take over this one forever.
Dec 03, 2020, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1

Again this may not be the product for you.
That is something I already stated myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi
how about stop talking till something official is out. Why do you think there is no compatibility with the current goggles? The pics we have seen look identical to the existing goggles. just stop assuming stuff and wait, your gonna confused everyone and yourself.
Well if you actually read.. being not fully compatible was stated by someone who actualy knows more about the product: Yes and NO, to me that still sounds like it's not just compatible. So maybe stop assuming the goggles are the same just because you have seen a picture from the front only?

Quote:
For me this quad could be a nice addition, i have the need for a go pro flying quad that can fly closer to 15mins than 4-5mins, get stabilized footage but not gimbal, and much faster than a mavic or similar platform. We film wakeboarding and like the ability with the fpv drone to fly around the rider will he is doing tricks. If this can accomplish this
If it's much faster than a magic it's not going to have a great flying time. And longer range quads already have up to 15 min flight time now.
I still doubt this will have anything world-shocking other than it's just a good and easy quad for beginners and photographers who don't want to get in to the hassle of learning and building stuff.

My idea is still a medium (low?) performing quad, with a good camera. In the end that is what DJI is good at. Plus a one-axis gimbal.
Sure the Digital FPV is new in a GPS quad, but it's not something like that has not done before. The Fimi A3 does it. It's Analog but it's also a more than 2 year old (and low budget) quad now.
Maybe this one brings something new to the table if it has some advanced tracking mode, who knows. But it has no prop protectors so that's probably not going to happen either.

It's all guessing, but nothing wrong with that?
Last edited by Justapoke; Dec 03, 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Dec 03, 2020, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift

It will sure be hard to build a small gimbal and camera like that.

I just wonder how big the market will be for FPV quads with stabilization. I doubt that 1-axis gimbal will be the main selling point for this quad. I still believe it's more a beginner GPS FPV quad. So a Fimi A3, but better range and better camera.. but at a way higher price because of the digital feed.. and the DJI name

Here's an interesting vid about using gimbal stabilization I saw a week ago. It looks to be fun to try out, but I still don't see this becoming a "standard" on quads.. ever.

Does a single-axis gimbal make for better FPV footage? (24 min 38 sec)
Dec 03, 2020, 12:21 PM

New DJI Quad topic moved.

Quote:
Correct, and done:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-Owners-Group
Dec 03, 2020, 12:51 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
We can get hung up on the details, but the point is, you cannot safely pilot in a full Acro mode
or equivalent, through a stabilized camera view, and this quad is clearly designed to go fast
forward so there will have to be some sort of semi-autonomous mode to make it possible.
I envision the end result would look something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWO0FzhjGM

Nicely done!
Try to imagine that flight done in the old'n days of analog.
Dec 03, 2020, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Just for reference
Ocusync on the Mavic Pro was 720P single band.
Ocusync 2 is 1080P dual band.

White goggles were single band 720P/1080P
Goggles RE were dual band. 720P/1080P

Dji FPV single band 720P
What fits here ?

Anyone see a pattern

Differences would not even warrant a separate thread on this kind of product That’s not to say FPV system it’s self would ever see dual band air end as that’s much more complex from an antenna and size point of view especially.

As I said complex, But It tells you everything you need to know, you just have to look.

From now I’m saying no more.
Let me analyze a bit:

So if the new V2 goggles are 720/1080p and dual band (2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz), then the new 900 MHz controller makes sense. V2s will probably have at least full HD panels then.

But we also now, that V1 goggles are also dual band capable, but 2.4 GHz disabled at the moment and they don't have full HD panels.

There will probably be also new AU2 with 720/1080p and maybe with 4k60p onboard recording down the road.

So I think it will be with the compatibility like that: you can use V1 goggles with the new AU2, but only in 720p mode (5.8 GHz band). You can use your V2 goggles with the new AU2, but only with 433 or 900 MHz control link when in 1080p mode (Dual band) or with any link in 720p mode (5.8 band). V2 goggles will probably be fully compatible with old AU.

There will probably be a new FW update for V1 goggles soon to turn the dual band on for more bandwidth, when the new AU2 will be out.
Last edited by EZFLYER75; Dec 03, 2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply