Sep 15, 2019, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I have about 50 packs into the DJI system, so far it's impressed me in everyway possible. The only issue I had was one specific to yesterday. On-board recording kept shutting off for some reason. Not sure if its my SD card or not...
Same has happend to me. But it were my first several packs. I noticed when i used auto-start-recording (not starting with the record button, but automatic start with arming the quad) it almost stopped recording every flight on the air unit. When i used the button it "only" stopped recording in one of three flights. Air unit was never hot.

SD-Card used: Brand new SanDisk Ultra 64GB (SDSQUAR-064G-GN6MA)microSDXC on both goggles and air unit.

Recording on goggles worked fine. I was not very far away or drawing very much power from the quad. Air unit is connected to Vbat (4S) on Betaflight F3 FC. No issues with video link so far.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceinthesky
Same has happend to me. But it were my first several packs. I noticed when i used auto-start-recording (not starting with the record button, but automatic start with arming the quad) it almost stopped recording every flight on the air unit. When i used the button it "only" stopped recording in one of three flights. Air unit was never hot.

SD-Card used: Brand new SanDisk Ultra 64GB (SDSQUAR-064G-GN6MA)microSDXC on both goggles and air unit.

Recording on goggles worked fine. I was not very far away or drawing very much power from the quad. Air unit is connected to Vbat (4S) on Betaflight F3 FC. No issues with video link so far.

this is interesting...

so you have the air unit directly connected to vbat on 4s and no problems with destroying the unit due to voltage spikes.
But maybe the voltage spikes causes problems with recording?
Would be nice if a tech guy could give his opinion about this? maybe blade strike?
Sep 15, 2019, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
I have about 50 packs into the DJI system, so far it's impressed me in everyway possible. The only issue I had was one specific to yesterday. On-board recording kept shutting off for some reason. Not sure if its my SD card or not...

Yes this happens to me too. First it starts to record and then it stops.

Update, and now my goggles frezed totaly and I had to activate GPS rescue.
Last edited by Bollis; Sep 15, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:54 AM
Been using the system for about 3 weeks now. My conclusion : it is like playing Mario kart on a 4k display without multiplayer mode.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:08 PM
Recording on the Air unit stopped mid flight for me also, once. So far, no catastrophic video lock ups, but I haven't flown it that much. Hopefully a firmware update will be coming that addresses the issue, and gives us full OSD.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:59 PM
Just another user...
I find that recording errors in the Air Unit (i.e. a message in the goggles to that effect) are usually preceded by a little stuttering in the video feed. It's as though the Air Unit is bogged down with error handling, distracting it from its most important task - to give uninterrupted video. But this occurs only occasionally.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpriso
Question to fixed wing pilots: I mounted the DJI system on the top of my wing, but can't find a good way to support the antennas, since the connectors don't carry any load, and there's no frame where I could mount the antennas on. Any ideas / what solutions did you come up with?
First wrap a long thin cable tie around the unit to hold the antenna connectors in, You can use 2 or 3 shorter cable ties in series if they are not long enough. Then wrap a small cable tie around each antenna about 1" above the connectors with the tail pointing to the other antenna. Then use a cable tie to tie the two cable ties together so the antennas tilt outward about 30 degrees. Trim off the excess cable ties and you are done.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:34 PM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Anyone seen this yet..? RTF 3"

http://bit.ly/2AeMC3E

and a whoop.
https://www.iflight-rc.com/index.php...018&search=dji
Last edited by slo_dave; Sep 15, 2019 at 04:43 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
With no disrespect to your vision scientist credentials, donít let overthinking theoretics stand in the way of enjoying the experience.. Vision processing in the brain adapts better than you think. Flyers have been cramming a wide angle image into a narrower FOV and enjoying it for a long time.
I actually spent considerable time at work studying visual adaptation in the context of virtual reality headsets, and, in fact, it doesn't work very well for a fairly large proportion of population. The adaptation, I mean. And, yes, if you are coming from Fatsharks with small FOV then DJI fpv goggles might appear like a lot. But I come from Oculus VR headsets with stereo fpv and from DJI RE goggles with a Connex Prosight camera lens matched in FOV. And, the same as it is hard to imaging going back to analog fpv after flying digital, it is hard to go to 3:1 FOV ratio after flying 1:1 FOV ratio for two years.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm
You realize most are flying anywhere between 30 and 40 degrees FOV with up to 170 degree fov cameras?
Yes. I started this way with Fatshark goggles long time ago. I don't want to go back there, we can do much better now. Of course, I realize that to win a race it is not necessary to have a perfect perceptual match to real life. But I'm a fixed wing flyer and do it just for the fun of flying.
Last edited by yurpet; Sep 15, 2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3nys
You obviously didn't try the system.

I think the camera or goggles also do some video processing to remove the fisheye effect, so changing the lens would probably make the image look deformed in the wrong way.
I didn't, you are right. Unfortunately, there is no easy video-processing trick to remove the artifacts of a large FOV lens crammed into small FOV screen. Objects flying by in your peripheral vision (large FOV outskirts) have large motion parallax with respect to farther away objects (e.g., horizon) compared to the same right in front of you, where there is no motion parallax at all. So, your brain is used to large motion parallax in the peripheral vision and weak motion parallax closer to straight ahead. Now, you take a large motion parallax (large FOV) video and cram it into the central vision area of your eye. Brain doesn't like it, because it is not used to seeing so much parallax in there in real life. And to remove or weaken the motion parallax one would need to know distance between objects captured in the video, and correct their relative motion accordingly. It is impossible in real time even on a desktop with a good video card. I worked with people who tried doing exactly this and failed.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpriso
Question to fixed wing pilots: I mounted the DJI system on the top of my wing, but can't find a good way to support the antennas, since the connectors don't carry any load, and there's no frame where I could mount the antennas on. Any ideas / what solutions did you come up with?
Ditch the CP antennas. Buy small LP dipoles like these https://www.getfpv.com/tbs-5g8-mmcx-linear-antenna.html and position one straight up and the other horizontally perpendicular to the airplane axis. Make sure that they are not obscured from direct sight by large conducting bodies like the battery or the camera or anything else in flight. So, they better go on the bottom surfaces of the wing. Then, replace the silly CP antennas on the goggles with LP antennas: one omnidirectional dipole, two small 10 - 12 dBi patch antennas, and one 20 - 25 dBi grid or dish antenna attached to a tripod or to your torso. All vertically polarized, of course, unless you mostly fly at a 90 degree bank angle. The latter antennas you can buy cheap from L-com, they are used for 5.8 GHz wifi. With this setup you should be able to fly to 15 - 20 km as long as the patch antennas on your goggles and the directional antenna on your torso look more or less in the right direction.
Last edited by yurpet; Sep 15, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm1983
It seems that we need a step down converter to about 9v or 12v.
Escs generate voltages spikes that can kill the air unit it seems.
But to be honest nobody really knows for sure....
Would love clarification on this, one would've assumed the air unit itself had a regulator built in.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty3907
Would love clarification on this, one would've assumed the air unit itself had a regulator built in.
I'm interested in this as well. Will a capacitor be enough to combat the voltage spikes? How is everyone else wiring their HD air unit? My FC only has 5v out (Radix FC) and my 4in1 esc only has full voltage. If I don't have to run a step down then that would lessen things, but if it is recommended, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty3907
I'm with you on this, the question is can the air unit regulation cope with voltage spikes caused by emf feedback from motors with strong magnets?? I have 2 units running directly off vbat (4s) without even a filter cap! which is probably not a smart move I know, but these things add enough bulk without adding a fat electo capacitor. have not noticed any issues but am concerned. the teardowns on youtube don't show much in the way of filtering caps I assume there are some but will be small ceramic caps, for the higher frequencies of the built in switch mode regulators, I suspect motor noise will be in the khz range, so after thinking about it maybe we should play it safe and find room for a 1000uf electro or at least a 330uf!!!!

Quick Reply