Sep 14, 2019, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
IMHO, analog is not dead, but from now on it will be considered 2nd or even 3rd class, only used for "toys" and indoor quads like tiny whoops. Analog will live on for a while as entry level gear because is cheap, made even cheaper by all the used gear that is or will soon be available. Those of us who already have "good" analog gear will keep it and then use it less and less until it ends up in a pile at a swap meet.

All of this concern abut adding an analog module to your DJI goggles will go away, or at most it will be something you stick on with a bit of Velcro. This process will be accelerated by the fact that we all share the same frequency band, and the guys with serious gear will get tired of cheap analog stuff splattering all over the place.

The people who make the good quality analog stuff, no longer have a viable business model. They will need to come out with their own digital HD offering or go out of business. In marketing terms, DJI is now the unchallenged Gorilla. Chimps will soon appear but until someone creates a new and better class of system that obsoletes this one, DJI owns this market.

I don't own any glow engines anymore. AM and FM radios with no computer are pretty much gone. (Sadly) All of my control line and free flight stuff is long gone. Time goes on...
Pretty much what I thought after seeing first videos about the DJI system... I did put up my HDO's and Rapidfire on sale straight after that and got them sold on pretty much the same price I bought them. So now I have had order in for dji system for about two weeks and waiting for my seller to get them on stock. I also have my X-Lite with full size Crossfire on sale, as I ordered the full system with controller. Where would I need more range with rc system if I lose the video after all? Saving some bucks, soldering and space with the install in change too. Plus I have had three Crossfire Micro receivers fail this summer have made me thinking that maybe the DJI air unit will be the answer to gain more trust to control link too...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
IMHO, analog is not dead, but from now on it will be considered 2nd or even 3rd class, only used for "toys" and indoor quads like tiny whoops.
For me, that's the case. How can I go back to standard-def analog after having this in my goggles?

(Photo is less than 30 minutes old screen grab from goggles video recording)
Sep 14, 2019, 10:20 PM
& #@$ it, Dude. Let's go flyin

Air Unit w/ ND 16 Filter

Tried a 14mm Caddx ND 16 Filter on the Air Unit. It did not fit perfectly and needed some hot glue support. I like the end result so far, though YouTube butchered it with compression. BTW, the quad spent the night in a tree with the battery plugged in and the Air Unit suffered no ill effects.

- FPVKing 163 Frame
- HGLRC F428 Stack
- Emax 1306 4000kv motors
- GemFan 3052 Flash props
- GNB 650 4SHV Battery
- DJI Air Unit
- Caddx ND 16 Filter
- AUW 252 grams

DJI FPV System with a Caddx ND 16 Filter (4 min 0 sec)
Sep 14, 2019, 11:36 PM
I don't really know anything about flight controllers and OSD. Would the Matek F405-STD be a good fit. It has been mentioned that voltage monitoring works in INAV but it requires a non inverted UART port. Not really sure what the non-inverted part means.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:41 PM
Did anyone try to remove the lens? What happens if it gets scratched? I'm also worried that the drastic mismatch between the camera and goggles FOV (150 deg vs. 50 deg) makes the experience perceptually less immersive. I'd rather swap the lens to something like 90 degrees.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurpet
Did anyone try to remove the lens? What happens if it gets scratched? I'm also worried that the drastic mismatch between the camera and goggles FOV (150 deg vs. 50 deg) makes the experience perceptually less immersive. I'd rather swap the lens to something like 90 degrees.
The experience is about as immersive as it gets, I really wouldnt worry about it.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkickjohnny
The experience is about as immersive as it gets, I really wouldnt worry about it.
I use DJI goggles with a much larger FOV, so it might depend on where you are coming from. I'm actually a vision scientist, and there are good reasons why your brain doesn't take a 150 degrees picture squeezed into 50 degrees screen very seriously ). To me such video looks toy-like as if I was flying over a scaled-down papier mache version of the terrain.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:50 AM
Quote:
I use DJI goggles with a much larger FOV, so it might depend on where you are coming from. I'm actually a vision scientist, and there are good reasons why your brain doesn't take a 150 degrees picture squeezed into 50 degrees screen very seriously ). To me such video looks toy-like as if I was flying over a scaled-down papier mache version of the terrain.
Well consider me properly schooled . Here is what I have flown over the last 7 years and my layman's take: Fat Shark Base SD, Fat Shark Dom V2, Quanam V2 Box Goggle, Fat Shark HDO's. The DJI goggles blows them all out of the water, I've never flown anything as immersive.
Last edited by dropkickjohnny; Sep 15, 2019 at 01:01 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 01:17 AM
OK, I'm going to buy them anyway, I just wish I could experiment with the camera lenses. Maybe, I will ).
Sep 15, 2019, 01:20 AM
Quote:
You obviously didn't try the system.

I think the camera or goggles also do some video processing to remove the fisheye effect, so changing the lens would probably make the image look deformed in the wrong way.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero_nz
Just a question, if we pickup a vBat pad off the FC that should be ok though?

In my case it would be lipo -> 4in1 esc -> FC -> Air Unit

I assume the 4in1 esc would essentially filter any motor load noise?
It seems that we need a step down converter to about 9v or 12v.
Escs generate voltages spikes that can kill the air unit it seems.
But to be honest nobody really knows for sure....
Sep 15, 2019, 05:49 AM
Claims 50% range increase: https://www.truerc.ca/shop/cp-omni-a...4-pack-for-dji

They also sell an X2 for the DJI goggles, I like TrueRC's stuff so its tempting to think I could get even MORE range from this system.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:25 AM
Question to fixed wing pilots: I mounted the DJI system on the top of my wing, but can't find a good way to support the antennas, since the connectors don't carry any load, and there's no frame where I could mount the antennas on. Any ideas / what solutions did you come up with?
Sep 15, 2019, 06:48 AM
"Furadi"
Quote:
You realize most are flying anywhere between 30 and 40 degrees FOV with up to 170 degree fov cameras?
Sep 15, 2019, 07:50 AM
Just another user...
Quote:
OK, I'm going to buy them anyway, I just wish I could experiment with the camera lenses. Maybe, I will ).
With no disrespect to your vision scientist credentials, don’t let overthinking theoretics stand in the way of enjoying the experience.. Vision processing in the brain adapts better than you think. Flyers have been cramming a wide angle image into a narrower FOV and enjoying it for a long time.

Buy it!

Quick Reply