Sep 10, 2019, 09:03 AM
Thank you!

All of the logs had issues?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2019, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
Over the weekend, we flew with both the Connex HD and the new DJI Digital System, and test results were interesting, not in terms of which one had victory but in terms of each system's handling of signal degradation under the same environmental conditions .
With apologies, because this is a DJI thread, not a Connex thread.... For anyone who might consider picking up a Connex system, DON'T!

I have owned and flown both and this video actually presents the Connex very favorably, much more favorably than it deserves. I just gave my Connex gear away with the admonition that it only be used on ground vehicles like RC Trucks. IMHO it is not suitable for anything that flies, not even a foam trainer airplane, let alone a quad. The RF link is a bit unpredictable and can easily be lost for an instant at certain attitudes even at a very short distance and even when in direct line of sight. The problem is that the loss of RF link for even a tiny fraction of a second causes it to drop the HDMI link to the goggles for a minimum of about 3 seconds. You might fly through that with an airplane at altitude, but for a quad it is most likely a crash. Regardless, the constant fear of going from full bars to lost video at any random moment takes all the fun out of flying. It pisses me off to no end that this is an entirely fixable problem, but the Connex people can't be bothered. They almost had a usable product, so close, but definitely not.

It goes without saying that the DJI system is much better. The RF link is stronger to begin with, and the way it handles signal degradation is vastly more graceful. It's also a much more fully integrated and practical system that doesn't involve a tripod, bag of cables, batteries, HDMI recording device, etc. The DJI goggles are also better than any HDMI gaming or VR goggles I ever found. They are not perfect perhaps, but very acceptable with a lot of good features, and the promise of even better as they improve the firmware.

I LOVE the DJI system. I HATE the Connex system. Perhaps I should have lead with that...
Sep 10, 2019, 11:05 AM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
Thank you!

All of the logs had issues?
I extracted all three logs because DJI Support asked for all three.

The video in the goggles mirrored the video track in the air unit. The log for the controller is irrelevant, really. They probably wanted to see if there was also an interruption in the radio link to coincide with when the video link stopped.
Sep 10, 2019, 01:22 PM
I finally recevied my unit today, mounted it on my quad and all I can say it's wow. Places where I could barely fly by with analogue setup I could with this thing with the full 25 Mbits quality. And I didn't even fit it perfectly, the antennas are about 5cm apart only and it's way better than analog, at least compared to what I had, 200mW- 800mW transmitters. I still need to fly more, but the first four flights impression is fantastic. Never heard so many times in one flight rssi low and rssi critical , I have just an XSR-M receiver on my 5" quad.
Sep 10, 2019, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
I extracted all three logs because DJI Support asked for all three.

The video in the goggles mirrored the video track in the air unit. The log for the controller is irrelevant, really. They probably wanted to see if there was also an interruption in the radio link to coincide with when the video link stopped.
Thanks for sharing
Sep 10, 2019, 02:34 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Thanks for sharing
Let us know what you were able to find from the logs.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:01 PM
Thread Killer
Quote:
Thanks for sharing
Do you still monitor the DJI Goggles RE thread? This one? I posted about two issues I'd love for DJI feedback on - how to get rid of the analog green bars, and how to set date/time on the goggles for SD card recordings?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Edition/page80
Sep 10, 2019, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1

To do this you need to download the DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) then connect each component one at a time to activate, the recommendation is to connect the Goggles, Air System then RC.

OK call me dumb, but I can't find any link to this in DJI's download center... help?
Sep 10, 2019, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty3907
OK call me dumb, but I can't find any link to this in DJI's download center... help?
https://www.dji.com/fpv/info#downloads
Sep 11, 2019, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3nys
I finally recevied my unit today, mounted it on my quad and all I can say it's wow. Places where I could barely fly by with analogue setup I could with this thing with the full 25 Mbits quality. And I didn't even fit it perfectly, the antennas are about 5cm apart only and it's way better than analog, at least compared to what I had, 200mW- 800mW transmitters. I still need to fly more, but the first four flights impression is fantastic. Never heard so many times in one flight rssi low and rssi critical , I have just an XSR-M receiver on my 5" quad.
Yea, grabbed a crossfire micro TX since my video range was now clearly better than radio range. Now I can fly with complete confidence...and oh do I have it, flying far and within inches of treetops has never been so fun!! Treetops are canyon runs now!
Sep 11, 2019, 10:57 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus
Do you still monitor the DJI Goggles RE thread? This one? I posted about two issues I'd love for DJI feedback on - how to get rid of the analog green bars, and how to set date/time on the goggles for SD card recordings?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Edition/page80

Try re flashing the air unit and goggles firmware.
Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 PM

Cumulative DJI HD FPV Systems Feedback (for Blade Strike)

1. Love the system, It’s the best thing going by far, a real game changer, but like everything in life, it could be better.

2. Love that the optics are set up “vision neutral” meaning anyone with glasses can use their glasses and be confident that they will be able to see normally.

3. Love that the face gasket is wide enough to accommodate glasses. Others may disagree but I think this was the best choice.

4. The face gasket doesn’t fit hardly anyone. Rather than making a bunch of different face gaskets, I suggest you offer a bunch of different intermediate spacers that go between the face gasket and the goggles. That way you can carry just one face gasket in stock which is ultimately easier because they are what wears out. The intermediate spacers can be really cheap and you can sell a package of multiple options allowing users to use whatever fits them the best.

5. It feels like you didn’t really think about where to put the battery for the goggles. One obvious place is on the back of the head strap. A little removable Velcro battery pouch is really easy to do. So easy, you can argue that you don’t need to bother, users will do it themselves.

6. The battery cable for the goggles is way too long if the battery is on the back of the head strap. This is another thing where users can make their own, or you can sell an appropriate cable and make a few bucks.

7. Users have complained that there is no ON/OFF switch on the goggles. It’s kind of trivial, but plugging and unplugging the battery is a minor pain and then the cable is dangling. It is easy to put an ON/OFF switch in the after-market cable for use with a head strap mounted battery, or a long cable for that matter.

8. The battery cable at the goggles end has no strain relief and is a safety hazard. Users can fix this with a cable tie but the connector used, though an industry standard, lacks a strain relief which is required in this case.

9. Numbers 5,6, 7, and 8 can be combined in an after-market package to reduce the number of SKUs if you want.

10. Many users will complain about the lack of HUD features. This is a firmware thing, not so much a hardware thing, and I am sure you are already working on it. I should let others who care more about such things state their specific desires. All I really want is to be able to set the low level battery warning voltage in the aircraft where the display voltage turns red. I want to land with 20% or so remaining, not close to 0%. If this is already controlled in Betaflight then we just need to know where and how.

11. Everyone wants the VTX or air unit to be smaller and lower power. We all want to win the lottery as well… I am sure you will make it better as technology allows, but there is probably not a lot you can do.

12. We need better features in the system around cooperating with other systems both analog and other DJI users. Some of this may just be better articulating how the systems you already have are intended to be used. Assume a “mixed” group of flyers who aren’t communicating with each other as well as they should, and think through the details of how they can cause each other problems, and then mitigate those problems as much as possible. This is a safety issue, not just an ease of use issue. I have already had a quad go flying through the air completely out of control due to this sort of thing.

13. Your choice of channel numbers that is essentially race band but renumbered is confusing. It would be better if the channel numbers were the standard race band channel numbers. At least they are in frequency order.

14. You need to better explain how the public channel is used and is intended to be used. Should DJI users be using to public channel to actually fly, or should they avoid it so as to keep it open for all DJI users since it is intermittently needed by everyone? Does this mean that analog users should all avoid the race band equivalent? Do we need a spectrum analyzer display in the goggles prior to powering up at more than micro-power? There are a million ways to go with all this but it needs to be thought through and the strategy explained.

15. Since all of the system elements are in bi-directional communication with one another, can we vary the system RF power to what is necessary to maintain a strong RF link but no more? In theory this would reduce heat and various interference modes with analog and other DJI systems.

16. The DJI TX is the weakest piece of the system. Fortunately it is not really necessary for the system to function. It’s only real advantage, as far as I can tell, it that it eliminates the need for a separate RX and it provides a strong control link to go along with the strong video link. The DJI TX is not a bad TX, but many people may not care for the form factor, which is not so much bad as it is different from what they might already have. The DJI TX is also very weak in terms of its programmability as compared to even an entry level TX from any other vendor. Also, lacking spread spectrum, It is subject to a loss of control link when someone else turns on the same channel. All of these things make it undesirable except in a narrow set of circumstances. Fortunately, users can use something like TBS Crossfire instead. Ultimately, I think the benefits are outweighed by the negatives and rather than trying to make it better, you should eliminate the product offering. Your sales figures for the TX should support this, but if I am wrong, good for you.

17. Please add a bump in the middle of the record button so you can tell by feel that it is not the menu back button. (It took me a while to figure out why my menu back button didn't always work.)
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Sep 12, 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Sep 11, 2019, 03:15 PM
aka Nigel Uno

6km (7,5km max) with DJI FPV on a plane

That's my second attempt with DJI FPV on a plane with just ONE LHCP helical antenna on goggles

(very windy day): 6Km HQ (7,5km bad quality, low bitrate but still flyable)

DJI FVP - 6km FCC mode - windy day (4 min 39 sec)

FCC mode
Power 700mW
Focus mode OFF
High quality ON
Low Latency OFF
Power limit OFF

Goggles DVR

Antenna 1 (Top Left): Helical 13T Prodrone LHCP
Antenna 2 (Top Right): None
Antenna 3 (Bottom Left): None
Antenna 4 (Bottom Right): None

Max latency: 50mSec

/Luca
Sep 11, 2019, 04:10 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
10. Many users will complain about the lack of HUD features. This is a firmware thing, not so much a hardware thing, and I am sure you are already working on it. I should let others who care more about such things state their specific desires. All I really want is to be able to set the low level battery warning voltage in the aircraft where the display voltage turns red. I want to land with 20% or so remaining, not close to 0%. If this is already controlled in Betaflight then we just need to know where and how.
I had the same concern about the voltage level at which the warning comes on. Then I discovered that it takes the warning level from Betaflight. The default is 3.5V which I found too low. I set mine to 3.6V on one quad and 3.7V on another. No more landing with nearly exhausted packs!
Sep 11, 2019, 04:35 PM
Toycar racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair
1. Love the system, It’s the best thing going by far, a real game changer, but like everything in life, it could be better.

2. Love that the optics are set up “vision neutral” meaning anyone with glasses can use their glasses and be confident that they will be able to see normally.

3. Love that the face gasket is wide enough to accommodate glasses. Others may disagree but I think this was the best choice.

4. The face gasket doesn’t fit hardly anyone. Rather than making a bunch of different face gaskets, I suggest you offer a bunch of different intermediate spacers that go between the face gasket and the goggles. That way you can carry just one face gasket in stock which is ultimately easier because they are what wears out. The intermediate spacers can be really cheap and you can sell a package of multiple options allowing users to use whatever fits them the best.

5. It feels like you didn’t really think about where to put the battery for the goggles. One obvious place is on the back of the head strap. A little removable Velcro battery pouch is really easy to do. So easy, you can argue that you don’t need to bother, users will do it themselves.

6. The battery cable for the goggles is way too long if the battery is on the back of the head strap. This is another thing where users can make their own, or you can sell an appropriate cable and make a few bucks.

7. Users have complained that there is no ON/OFF switch on the goggles. It’s kind of trivial, but plugging and unplugging the battery is a minor pain and then the cable is dangling. It is easy to put an ON/OFF switch in the after-market cable for use with a head strap mounted battery, or a long cable for that matter.

8. The battery cable at the goggles end has no strain relief and is a safety hazard. Users can fix this with a cable tie but the connector used, though an industry standard, lacks a strain relief which is required in this case.

9. Numbers 5,6, 7, and 8 can be combined in an after-market package to reduce the number of SKUs if you want.

11. Everyone wants the VTX or air unit to be smaller and lower power. We all want to win the lottery as well… I am sure you will make it better as technology allows, but there is probably not a lot you can do.

12. We need better features in the system around cooperating with other systems both analog and other DJI users. Some of this may just be better articulating how the systems you already have are intended to be used. Assume a “mixed” group of flyers who aren’t communicating with each other as well as they should, and think through the details of how they can cause each other problems, and then mitigate those problems as much as possible. This is a safety issue, not just an ease of use issue. I have already had a quad go flying through the air completely out of control due to this sort of thing.

13. Your choice of channel numbers that is essentially race band but renumbered is confusing. It would be better if the channel numbers were the standard race band channel numbers. At least they are in frequency order.

14. You need to better explain how the public channel is used and is intended to be used. Should DJI users be using to public channel to actually fly, or should they avoid it so as to keep it open for all DJI users since it is intermittently needed by everyone? Does this mean that analog users should all avoid the race band equivalent? Do we need a spectrum analyzer display in the goggles prior to powering up at more than micro-power? There are a million ways to go with all this but it needs to be thought through and the strategy explained.

15. Since all of the system elements are in bi-directional communication with one another, can we vary the system RF power to what is necessary to maintain a strong RF link but no more? In theory this would reduce heat and various interference modes with analog and other DJI systems.

16. The DJI TX is the weakest piece of the system. Fortunately it is not really necessary for the system to function. It’s only real advantage, as far as I can tell, it that it eliminates the need for a separate RX and it provides a strong control link to go along with the strong video link. The DJI TX is not a bad TX, but many people may not care for the form factor, which is not so much bad as it is different from what they might already have. The DJI TX is also very weak in terms of its programmability as compared to even an entry level TX from any other vendor. Also, lacking spread spectrum, It is subject to a loss of control link when someone else turns on the same channel. All of these things make it undesirable except in a narrow set of circumstances. Fortunately, users can use something like TBS Crossfire instead. Ultimately, I think the benefits are outweighed by the negatives and rather than trying to make it better, you should eliminate the product offering. Your sales figures for the TX should support this, but if I am wrong, good for you.

good feedback.

p.s. DJI or Blade we'd also like to see..

1 - module that we can use for our current fatshark HDO's with the dji system.
2 - new googles that actaully fit. Can't you just steal fatshark's design like every other company did? (e.g. amoway, sky zone, eachine) And if you do, give the first time adapters a discount to trade in their gen 1 ones and order the smaller form factor ones you guys will create
-The current ones do the job but a tad bulky, no module bay option, and needs to be rounder, not so flat, so it fits your face better
3 - usb-c to hdmi support
4 - ground station, not so important, if you can make 3 work. Or switch #4 with 3 and make a ground station
5 - Make a xjt module bay for your tx, so we can use other protocols on your tx. And even better, make a DJI xjt module that we can use on our current transmitters (e.g. x10s, NV14, etc)

For the record, I love my dji fpv hd system. It's pretty darn good, useable, and amazing. Haven't even touched my HDO's with rapidfire since (although I will be soon, as I don't have all of my quads on the dji system) and of course, it has it's share of items that can be better, etc, but as long as we keep getting firmware updates and early adopters don't get bambuzzled if you do upgrade hardware to smaller etc, I can only see great things with DJI's fpv experiment. You guys can stay forever now! dji ftw!
Last edited by Dbz619; Sep 11, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply