Aug 23, 2019, 12:31 PM
Had my first flights today and was absolutely blown away. I'm contemplating buying a second set of ride-along goggles just so I can share this experience with friends. I doubt I will fly anything analog again after this. Nobody ever released a quality FPV box goggle with 50*+ FOV and Rapidfire style signal mixing, so I've never experienced the highest quality analog and probably never will. I sincerely hope Armattan comes out with a 3" Gecko update that includes a place to put the DJI air unit, because that paired with my Marmotte 5" would be the perfect quad garage.

Can't believe how short the parts list for the build was:
Heli-nation F7 gigafusion (F7 with Dual ICM 20602 gyros, Aikon AK32 35A 4-in-1 ESC) 20x20 stack combo
Armattan Marmotte 5" with absolutely no mods
DJI air unit
XING 2306 2450kv
Brain3d 3d printed arm covers
RDQ 3m landing pads
XT60u pigtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
does the DJI system support an audio feed from the quad?
No audio is transmitted to the goggles. When you playback footage from the air unit SD card, audio is included.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 12:34 PM
Toycar racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxington
There's just a bunch of issues that analog had to work through and nobody wants to repeat all that with HD, so just watching how it works out and avoid the hype train at the same time.

I think they've done a great job with it by the looks, but it still has to operate under the same conditions as analog in a group situation.

None of the current issues seem hard to fix though, capping power at 200mw, no starting up on different channels, all pretty basic stuff to add later.

I saw the Fatshark stuff, its vapourware until they come out with it, and I won't be holding my breath!
My suggestion, don't switch all of your kwads to the hd system. Maybe just invest in the goggles and 1 air unit. Fly that one and do your testing. All systems are not perfect, including DJI's, but the flying experience is second to none and is actually usable. I used to have the connex HD system with their RTF kwad (falcore) and that HD system was nothing like DJI's, almost unflyable, at times. They couldn't handle the HD data and froze up quite often. DJI's system has it's issues, but is well worth it. And again, their are certain things they can fix with firmware updates.

Either way, no one here is trying to make you buy it. So I suggest either grab it or hold out and fly analog. Or hold out until you have a friend that has one that you can try. Because basically we can find issues and nitpick all day, but in the end you have to ask yourself, do I want to fly HD or just keep flying analog. Sounds like you want to go HD because you've done some research and posting it's downfalls and possilbe workarounds, etc. Yes, no, or wait... stop posting trying to talk yourself into it and get it and tell us about your experiences!
Last edited by Dbz619; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:46 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:45 PM
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanNik
Got it, thank you for info. I need to test in 3d first.

Steve, do you have 3d model of camera ?
i do not - i just took measurements with my caliper.

i can provide you with dimensions if you like
Aug 23, 2019, 12:55 PM
Steve....I ordered a couple camera mounts today...Thanks
Aug 23, 2019, 01:13 PM
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric4nier
Steve....I ordered a couple camera mounts today...Thanks
happy to hear that. thanks

steve
Aug 23, 2019, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom
Had my first flights today and was absolutely blown away. I'm contemplating buying a second set of ride-along goggles just so I can share this experience with friends. I doubt I will fly anything analog again after this. Nobody ever released a quality FPV box goggle with 50*+ FOV and Rapidfire style signal mixing, so I've never experienced the highest quality analog and probably never will. I sincerely hope Armattan comes out with a 3" Gecko update that includes a place to put the DJI air unit, because that paired with my Marmotte 5" would be the perfect quad garage.

Can't believe how short the parts list for the build was:
Heli-nation F7 gigafusion (F7 with Dual ICM 20602 gyros, Aikon AK32 35A 4-in-1 ESC) 20x20 stack combo
Armattan Marmotte 5" with absolutely no mods
DJI air unit
XING 2306 2450kv
Brain3d 3d printed arm covers
RDQ 3m landing pads
XT60u pigtail
Have you posted pictures/details of your finished build?
Aug 23, 2019, 02:40 PM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Has anyone compared the range on the DJI radio compared to a typical 2.4ghz or crossfire setup ?
Aug 23, 2019, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryTru
Have you posted pictures/details of your finished build?
Larry, they're distributed in two posts over the last few pages of the thread but here's a couple pictures I didn't share yet and the completed picture. For me just sticking the DJI antennas through existing holes in the top plate worked great! Zero modifications to the frame whatsoever. I used 22mm (23-24 would probably be a bit better) cap bolts for the stack and M3 TPU stack spacers between the ESC and FC from Rotorgeeks.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom
Larry, they're distributed in two posts over the last few pages of the thread but here's a couple pictures I didn't share yet and the completed picture. For me just sticking the DJI antennas through existing holes in the top plate worked great! Zero modifications to the frame whatsoever. I used 22mm (23-24 would probably be a bit better) cap bolts for the stack and M3 TPU stack spacers between the ESC and FC from Rotorgeeks.
Sorry, I saw one of your posts, but not the other. Thanks for consolidating and augmenting. Looks good!

Larry
Aug 23, 2019, 03:00 PM
& #@$ it, Dude. Let's go flyin
Got an under 250 gram build done, but I can't say I'm too thrilled with how it came out. I knew it would be underpowered, but it is very underpowered. The frame is what is killing me, 54 grams, need something in the 30 gram range so the motors can be bigger. Right now the quad weighs 176 grams dry, 245 grams with a Tattu 650 4s, 237 grams with a GNB 650 4SHV. Looking forward to more frames designed for the Air Unit.

-FPVKing 163 Frame from Amazon
-DYS 1404 4300kv motors
-RotorX 3040 props
-HGLRC F428 Flytower
-DJI Air Unit

DJI FPV System - 3 inch Quad Under 250 grams! (4 min 15 sec)
Aug 23, 2019, 11:20 PM
Registered Maniac
Heres my spektrum range test. Its not bad!
DJI HD FPV Mini Review with Spektrum Range Test. (8 min 39 sec)

I love the system so far.
Aug 24, 2019, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderbryce
Heres my spektrum range test. Its not bad!
https://youtu.be/mWml2eBvUWg
I love the system so far.
hmm you were getting what looked like quite a small range with that weird
Aug 24, 2019, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _j4y_
Holybro is doing a plug and play stack as well. Not shipping for another 10 days they said.
http://www.holybro.com/product/kakutef7-hdv/
My order is on the way.
1 Kakute F7 HDV FC and 1 Tekko32 F3 40A ESC.

The stack is already in stock (48pcs)
Aug 24, 2019, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unroy
I'm using betaflight configurator 10.5.1, and the latest 4.1.0 build from 20/08/19
the last one on the list is frsky fport, I don't have anything under...

Also, I tried upload omnibus f4 target, sadly with the same results
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaki
Same issue, I flashed Betaflight 4.1.0 (Omnibusf4sd) and I'm using the beta configurator in version 10.6.0. DJI_HDL_7MS does not appear in the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Do you have Sbus 7ms or SBus fast listed ?

Also have you selected serial RX on your input port then Sbus in the settings ?

You may need to do this then reboot.

BF is on unified DW now so these options should be in all targets as I understand it but could be wrong.

Ok having had a look at the BF Pull requests it seems there is some things going on with BF and calling it DJI HDL, itís looking like itís going to be manual options for 7ms and 200k

Have a look for that. Iím not home to check this my self a minute.
Same issue here.

Kakute f4 v2 and no DJI_HDL_7MS in the menu.
Aug 24, 2019, 09:56 AM
Steve
My new build. Lumenier QAVR. Standoffs are 28mm so I could stack the vtx above the FC with 4mm or so to spare. Vtx is zip tied to upper plate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply