Jan 24, 2020, 02:29 PM
SkyHunter
Well, I will be OK to pay more $ for devise that will be a “receiver “ but no $750.
I also prefer to connect my Ipad pro than DJI smart controller.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Just reading the "in next release" notes in the current firmware update release notes.
So just to be clear, DJI's solution for video output to HDMI requires us to
purchase the $750 Smart Controller? Seriously?
Please tell me that's not their end game.
My guess is this is for those that have the Mavic 2 and want to use the goggles. As far as I know the smart controller can only be used with the mavic (for now)
Jan 24, 2020, 04:06 PM
I had my first DJI flight in Stratosurfer plane. (not counting indoor 5.8 stuff)

At 700mw I was down to one bar at 1.2km. At 1000mw I was down to 1 bar at about 2km. Another .2km farther in either case resulted in freezing. Not a big deal on a slow floaty airplane but am I doing something wrong, should I expect better? I was in low latency mode but can switch modes if that helps. Flying with crossfire.
Jan 24, 2020, 04:38 PM
Toycar racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The problem is, I can't figure out what user it's aimed at. One is not going to pilot through that
display, when they've already got the goggles so it amounts to a $750 dongle. Obviously very
few individuals will buy one just for occasional passenger use. I don't see anyone spending $4000 buying 5-6
of them to cover amateur MultiGP racing at a local chapter, and presumably DRL would need something
a bit more sophisticated to cover most of their venues (the rumored ground station).

Hopefully they realize all we really want is a USB -> HDMI converter dongle (may need its own power),
roughly at the pricepoint of the HDMI module for the original DJI Phantom controller.
yes, i don't see this as a solution. if i have to buy a smart controller, i'd expect it to do be able to control my fpv quads too. But there's no way i'd use a smart controler when you have options like Nirvana, T16 pro, Tango 2, etc.

If this is their solution, better off just buying a passenger set of goggles, so at least one person can watch. And could be useful as opposed to having a controller that does nothing but act as a hdmi dongle.

c'mon madrc! tell dji that's no solution for everyone buying their stuff!
Jan 24, 2020, 04:49 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I had my first DJI flight in Stratosurfer plane. (not counting indoor 5.8 stuff)

At 700mw I was down to one bar at 1.2km. At 1000mw I was down to 1 bar at about 2km. Another .2km farther in either case resulted in freezing. Not a big deal on a slow floaty airplane but am I doing something wrong, should I expect better? I was in low latency mode but can switch modes if that helps. Flying with crossfire.
I don't see a flight controller, so did you have "Auto Temp Control" shut off? (I think that's what it is called)
Jan 24, 2020, 04:57 PM
It's a MATEK 405 Wing SE running iNav. Auto Temp control is set to On. OSD is working.
Jan 24, 2020, 05:44 PM
And it's detecting that it's armed/disarmed?
Jan 24, 2020, 06:37 PM
I think it must because it's starting and stopping the recordings automatically. I'm not sure how to tell. Flight modes are showing.
Jan 24, 2020, 07:15 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I think it must because it's starting and stopping the recordings automatically. I'm not sure how to tell. Flight modes are showing.
You should be getting better range than that. When you arm the FC, you should see an "unlocked" message. If not, it's probably staying at 25 mW. But you can easily disable auto temp just to be sure you're getting full power.

Also, check your antennas for good connection. And before the flight, check for interference on any of the channels. I usually end up on channel 7. I think that's above the typical 5.8 wifi band. But yesterday I flew in a new location and channel 7 had interference on it. So I changed to channel 4 and it was better.
Jan 24, 2020, 07:30 PM
The antennas look to be inserted and tight and I never received a low power recording stopped message. I don't remember seeing an Unlocked message but I don't have the goggles on when I arm and chuck the plane.

I didn't see an arm message when I replayed the flight but perhaps that is because the message came and went before the auto-recording started? Do you see the Unlocked message in the goggles recording?
Jan 24, 2020, 08:54 PM
If it's starting the recording automatically then it's detecting arming.
Would expect better range at 700mW than what you're seeing, but yes there could
be some external interference, so try a different channel.
Last edited by Daemon; Jan 24, 2020 at 09:54 PM.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:00 PM
I've had decent luck with Race1 at this location. I had been flying channel 7 but will try going lower.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:27 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Let us know what the bit rate looks like also. One of my two air units was defective as soon as I got it. I was getting less than 1 Mbit with it right next to the goggles on the bench. Even powered the air unit up standalone (not in a quad or plane) just to rule out external interference. Same thing though. Other air unit was perfectly fine. So I sent it back to DJI and they replaced it under warranty.
Jan 24, 2020, 10:06 PM
For the first part of the flight it's around 25mbit. At 2km 6-10Mbit with latency in the 60ms range.

I think I need to fly a different area and different channel in same area. Maybe I should keep the max at 700mw and 2km. I have an IRC power meter v2. Would setting it to peak be useful?
Jan 24, 2020, 10:07 PM
Anybody try the DJI fpv system for night flying? What settings did you use? ������

Quick Reply