Dec 10, 2019, 01:40 PM
After seeing Marios results, I did some testing today in his way. Thanks a lot for the skript and the idea.

My setup: Various combinations of stubbies and X-Air (and DJI antennas as reference)

First results in attached graph.

Red: X-Air bottom

Yellow: X-Air top

Blue: X-Air bottom and top

Seems, the patches are better used on top. But I have to run this test multible times to verify the result. Tried to fly exactly the same path on every flight.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2019, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchTune
I'm going to be using Crossfire on my DJI build. I see the air unit has RX/TX for a UART and SBUS. Obviously, I won't connect SBUS. But do I skip RX/TX as well if I will use Crossfire? Or do I need that for something like OSD pid control? I mean, I understand I can activate the OSD with crossfire, but I'm not sure it will display in the DJI feed if I don't use the UART. So maybe I need that RX/TX connected?
UART ports are used for the RX/TX from the DJI air unit so it can talk tot he flight controller and get info for the OSD. It does this with the MSP configuration item in BetaFlight on the port. So connect the grey/white wires to the free rx/tx ports on your flight controller. Connect your crossfire to another free rx/tx UART port. Connect your GPS to another free rx/tx UART port. Then your ready. The goggles automatically start recording when you arm your quad, and stop when you disarm.
Dec 10, 2019, 02:29 PM
Some more results - not perfectly synchronized, but matches within 1 or 2 seconds of about 40 seconds.
Distance was 460m at 25mW.

Green: DJI stock antennas
Blue: X-Air one side top and bottom
Red: X-Air top and bottom on both sides
Dec 10, 2019, 02:38 PM
Forgot to mention:

Picture quality was fine on all flights - focus mode did barely kick in even with the stock antennas
Dec 10, 2019, 02:47 PM
Hmm.. odd results. Blue holds up really well, until it doesn't, and then it's no better
than stock. High gain antennas always pointed toward aircraft?
Dec 10, 2019, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Hmm.. odd results. Blue holds up really well, until it doesn't, and then it's no better
than stock. High gain antennas always pointed toward aircraft?
I think so, tried not to move - as I said, it was only one flight with each setup, I will repeat it soon, if the weather lets me do it.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:07 PM
OK so lets say I just use the DJI fpv system for video (no control)...I use FRSky for control and everything else.....use RangeVideo for RTH and OSD...is there a way to integrate the RangeVideo OSD into the DJI system? anyone have any ideas?
Dec 10, 2019, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConscienceBay
OK so lets say I just use the DJI fpv system for video (no control)...I use FRSky for control and everything else.....use RangeVideo for RTH and OSD...is there a way to integrate the RangeVideo OSD into the DJI system? anyone have any ideas?
Short answer - no way
Dec 10, 2019, 03:19 PM
No, there is no way to integrate RV OSD with DJI OSD.
DJI OSD only accepts data from MSP API 1.4.x which is currently only
supported by Betaflight. iNav's MSP API version is too new to work at this time,
and RVOSD and ET Vector etc, don't speak MSP at all.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:40 PM
so what would you guys do if you want long range HD video and a good OSD with RTH/auto-pilot capability on a fixed wing platform?
Dec 10, 2019, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedos9er
It works and reflect throttle usage. I did not apply any scale, it´s set to 400.
Maybe you have used wrong target for Betaflight? I´m using the unified target.
You also have to reboot the FC after changing those settings.
Thanks for clarifying, I'm going to try Onboard ADC again.

FYI from the horse's mouth (holybro):

"HolyBro tekko32f3 40a 4in1 esc current sensor only supports ‘onboard ADC‘
Only ESC temperature; motor speed...are included, no current data included in the ESC telemetry. The digital current sensor is not accurate so we went back to analog current sensor for the F3 ESC."
Dec 10, 2019, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConscienceBay
so what would you guys do if you want long range HD video and a good OSD with RTH/auto-pilot capability on a fixed wing platform?
Eventually all this will come. Right now there is no good OSD, just battery voltage and timer. I'm fine with this, actually. All the rest of the flight telemetry I get as a read out from my Taranis every 30 seconds. In fact, even the battery voltage is unnecessary, it could be just another parameter added to the read out.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:01 PM
Sans working telemetry link, is it pulling the battery voltage from the power line to the VTX?
I ask because of course many of us power it through a regulator, so you'd get nothing useful.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:20 PM
Purdue Engineering
There's an open-source MAVLINK-to-MSP conversion project designed to allow the basic OSD features on the DJI HD FPV system to work with Ardupilot. It was created before the recent update that enables more OSD items, but should still be better than nothing. And definitely better than iNav

https://github.com/d3ngit/djihdfpv_mavlink_to_msp

Further, some Ardupilot developers are interested in working with DJI to establish more "proper" integration. If anyone knows the proper channels to use to engage DJI and see if they'd like to cooperate, let me know.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
There's an open-source MAVLINK-to-MSP conversion project designed to allow the basic OSD features on the DJI HD FPV system to work with Ardupilot. It was created before the recent update that enables more OSD items, but should still be better than nothing. And definitely better than iNav

https://github.com/d3ngit/djihdfpv_mavlink_to_msp

Further, some Ardupilot developers are interested in working with DJI to establish more "proper" integration. If anyone knows the proper channels to use to engage DJI and see if they'd like to cooperate, let me know.
Excellent! Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully, multiple sensor support will come soon. I'm currently set up with full ground telemetry and Yaapu, but it would be nice to get a few items in the goggles.

Quick Reply