Jul 31, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
I admit, I won't be biting, mostly because I see this as a first gen product and because $$$.
Not to be argumentative, but as a first gen DJI racing edition goggles owner, I would define this as a gen 2 product. DJI already took a stab at the DIY FPV market with their own OE camera, digital transmission protocol and airunit with SBUS passthrough designed to work with those old DJI RE goggles. That system had problems that this product looks to have addressed, namely latency, resolution and camera quality. Pretty excited!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2019, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
is there any support for an osd?
+1
I'd also like to know this.
Jul 31, 2019, 03:40 PM
fly by night
I like what I see. I would also like it to offer more OSD features to sync with Betaflight and iNav though. 4km range is pretty good for my quad and plane flying.

But I feel my investment in Connex Prosight was not good. I hardly used it because it was hobbled by so many limitations. So I am hesitant to embrace another HD system.
Jul 31, 2019, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know the field of view FOV? I can't find any information about it.
Jul 31, 2019, 04:24 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Just to answer a few questions.

No NFZ, no limitations on flight or anything like that, Itís a video and RC system only.

This is really a V2 product now as itís a step on from the Ocusync Air system from last year, itís smaller and latency is dramatically reduced. On the bench itís mind blowing how low it is for digital.

Currently on the OSD there is only pack voltage from the telem data, requests are in for more around this.

The betaflight integration is nice, you have e the ability to change PiD and others things.

While I understand size is always a complaint I donít see how they can make a digital system smaller at this time, itís simply not possible, this pushes the limits for sure and heat is a very real problem, on an open quad itís fine but if your looking at fixed wing you will need airflow as it can get untouchable hot.

I literally had my hands on this just over 24 hours ago and have only had time to put it all on the bench and test functionally, Iím hoping to get it into a frame on the weekend and put some videos out. I leave the flying to everyone else but will be discussing the technical aspects.

Price is high and I see that, but then there is nothing else like this out there.
Jul 31, 2019, 04:30 PM
FPV Air Combat Nut!
As a Goggles RE owner, I was really hoping for a 1080P liveview upgrade, but I guess that will have to wait for V3. I was also hoping for live sound transmission, but that did not make it either. Well at least there’s sound recording from Air Unit I guess. From an audience’s perspective this system is a substantial upgrade compared to the Goggles Racing Combo. From the pilot’s perspective, is the halved latency and increased frame rate worth the $900 upgrade? I am not sure for fixed-wing use. The penetration prowess is impressive and peripheral pixelation/breakup maybe the deciding feature for me to upgrade this time.
Jul 31, 2019, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Echo
Does anyone know the field of view FOV? I can't find any information about it.
I found the answer myself: FOV is up to 54į.
Jul 31, 2019, 08:32 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Audio is important to me..lolol (unless you are flying close range..ie...micro quads).

How do you plug in physical servo connectors
into that air unit?
I want to use in my Traxxas SUMMIT using
dji RC controller

P.S.
I will be tickled if this can go 1mile via ground FPV'ing
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 31, 2019 at 08:39 PM.
Jul 31, 2019, 08:54 PM
FPV Air Combat Nut!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Audio is important to me..lolol (unless you are flying close range..ie...micro quads).

How do you plug in physical servo connectors
into that air unit?
I want to use in my Traxxas SUMMIT using
dji RC controller

P.S.
I will be tickled if this can go 1mile via ground FPV'ing
If itís similar to the Ocusync Air Unit, I used PPM/PWM converter between head-tracking servos and the Air Unit.

Which brings up a question for MadAngler. Does the new one still support head-tracking? Thatís an important value add for me.
Jul 31, 2019, 09:01 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
What ppm/pwm module did you use?
I need to be able to connect servos...

Head Tracking is important for fixed-wing flying.
Especially for what we do as for fun...lolol...

Gonna have to re-haul my gear if this new DJI FPV system is nicer.
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jul 31, 2019, 09:29 PM
It looks pretty good, but it boils down to how rugged it is for freestyle/racing quads, it doesn't matter how good the picture quality is if it breaks easily, especially when it's twice the price.

For example I wouldn't want those dual antennas being directly connected to the vtx unit, one crash through some branches and you've gutted it.

I'm optimistic about it in general though, I'll let others buy in and test it first though!
Jul 31, 2019, 11:34 PM
FPV Air Combat Nut!
Quote:

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...426A5D_tmp.JPG

This is the one I used - from banggood...
Aug 01, 2019, 12:41 AM
Digital HD FPV & Goblin helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxington
It looks pretty good, but it boils down to how rugged it is for freestyle/racing quads, it doesn't matter how good the picture quality is if it breaks easily, especially when it's twice the price.

For example I wouldn't want those dual antennas being directly connected to the vtx unit, one crash through some branches and you've gutted it.
The first gen Ocusync Air Unit is fairly robust. I have crashed my units dozens and dozens of times in the past 1,5 years time and they are still fine but I have replaced three Ocusync cameras because cables and lenses have damaged. Mmcx antenna connectors are fragile but I use mmcx to SMA adapters in my quad with a pair of standard 5.8GHz LHCP antennas (AXII sntennas with SMA connectors from GetFpv). That way I am sure that mmcx connectors will never be stripped in a crash.

54 degree fov is a drawback for me. Goggles RE have simply awesome field of vision and 54 degrees sound lame compared to that.
Last edited by Picofly; Aug 01, 2019 at 12:48 AM.
Aug 01, 2019, 02:05 AM
Fatshark announced theirs on Facebook as well, clearly lower specced but no other details yet.
Aug 01, 2019, 02:27 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Quote:

There is no head tracking output on this like the OAS, there are a few unused cables so trying to find out what they are or could be used for.

Quick Reply