Nov 14, 2019, 01:35 PM
Thread Killer
I'm currently working on a project to adapt an inexpensive 3 axis gimbal for action cams from banggood, to the DJI FPV camera, so I can get some damping and stabilization on the image of this system, for use on RC Cars and Crawlers, and my largest planes. I have TPU 3D printed universal air unit and camera mounts from thingiverse, and the plan is to make the whole thing easily movable from car to car etc.

The gimbal is kind of overkill in size, and I need to add three R/C channels to be able to control it, and unlike more fancy / pricey gimbals you really have to have R/C controls because there doesn't seem to be "stay at this position" simple button setting on this cheap gimbal.

This got me thinking - DJI makes really excellent camera gimbals (I have the original Osmo and Phantom 4). The new Osmo Pocket gimbal would probably be perfect for the DJI FPV camera in terms of size/weight and it's nice and tiny for r/c. And it would seem to me, that DJI could make the Air Unit able to control it, either from their transmitter or from the goggles themselves!

This seems like an easy win considering they already make all the parts necessary to do this. But DJI doesn't sell their gimbals alone. This is the one I'm trying to use at present: https://www.banggood.com/FPV-3-Axis-...p-1030046.html
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkamm
Here is the pinout.
Now that we have the analog module fix, it really pisses me off that DJI doesn't support control line.
Nov 14, 2019, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genivos
I've been testing anoter HD system alread YEARS ago. That one worked on 2.4Ghz. But the air unit was relatively big that it was only usable in big multicopters or fixed wings. The one you linked to is much smaller but still bigger then the DJI system. I doubt it would fit easily in a 5 inch quad, size smaller then a credit card it says but surely would be bigger then DJI's unit .. at least I think so. Then you are comparing 2.4Ghz to 5.8Ghz .. no wonder it has bigger range Then I would need to connect it by cable to my 'old' goggles with smaller screens (compared to the DJI one), have a separate unit to attach where (? I'm using a Nirvana with Crossfire .. not really space to put it there). All separate parts, I don't want that!
I chose DJI because it's a ready set, small including goggles and it works perfect for freestyle flying. It's made for race quads but can be used on other types too. So, I'm not really sure the FPV.blue system can be called on par. By specs it looks good but it's just not that what I would want to buy for what I use it for, just my two cents.
The 2.4 GHz version of fpv.blue was supposed to be smaller than a credit size. The first, 1.3 GHz and the new 2.4 GHz had HDMI out on the receiver, so you would be able to connect them to any screen or helmet with HDMI in. The 1.3 GHz version didn't work with DJI goggles, but this was, supposedly, fixed in the 2.4 version. Also, fpv.blue had a nice OSD unlike DJI FPV and the system was much cheaper, if you already own goggles. Let me put it this way: I used both DJI FPV and fpv.blue, and I would choose fpv.blue without thinking twice, if the choice was still there.
Nov 14, 2019, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cioffij
If that is a closed cockpit, then I would still worry about the barometer. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the air pressure seen by the FC in the nose will depend on your speed and the relative size and placement of the entry and exit vents. if the entry event is facing forward and is bigger than the exit vent, it would seem to me that you would see higher air pressure inside the cockpit and so the barometer is going to read a lower altitude then what you really have.

But I'm just speculating.
You might be right, but I only use the barometer for vario, the actual navigation is done using GPS altitude. Vario seems to sound as you'd expect it to so far.
Nov 14, 2019, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift
Wouldn't say its on-par with DJI picture quality-wise, (Still damn good though, pretty close) but it is definitely impressive tech he developed and looks much better than Bytefrost in picture quality.
Did you use fpv.blue? I would say that the picture quality was on par with DJI FPV in the 1.3 GHz version, except for some minor bugs occasionally affecting the color reproduction. I can't say much about the latency comparison, because I didn't measure it. But it felt like Connex ProSight latency-wise.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:19 PM
EU drones
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurpet
The 2.4 GHz version of fpv.blue was supposed to be smaller than a credit size. The first, 1.3 GHz and the new 2.4 GHz had HDMI out on the receiver, so you would be able to connect them to any screen or helmet with HDMI in. The 1.3 GHz version didn't work with DJI goggles, but this was, supposedly, fixed in the 2.4 version. Also, fpv.blue had a nice OSD unlike DJI FPV and the system was much cheaper, if you already own goggles. Let me put it this way: I used both DJI FPV and fpv.blue, and I would choose fpv.blue without thinking twice, if the choice was still there.
You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. Concerning freestyle flying I don't want a separate unit connecting to my goggles unless it would be a module to plugin. Smaller then a cc can be also 1mm smaller. We just don't know. I doubt it would be the same size as a DJI unit so it would never fit in a 5 inch quad, that's just my thought. For long range it would be fine, bigger quad or fixed wing or whatever.
My Dom V3 goggles has such small screens compared to the DJI ones I once again doubt if even a unit could connect, it would be a pleasure to watch.
OSD is supposed to be changeable later albeit nobody knows in what way. But.. once again for freestyle flying I only need voltage, amps and flight time.
For long range more is required of course hence another system would be better probably in that case anyways. In that way it's a bugger fpv.blue stopped.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Nov 14, 2019, 04:43 PM
EU drones
This was just posted in RR group on FB. Not sure what it is going to entitle but it's about the FPV goggles it looks like. Someone replies there it's a custom SD chip.

Interesting...

Nov 14, 2019, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus
I'm currently working on a project to adapt an inexpensive 3 axis gimbal for action cams from banggood, to the DJI FPV camera, so I can get some damping and stabilization on the image of this system, for use on RC Cars and Crawlers, and my largest planes. I have TPU 3D printed universal air unit and camera mounts from thingiverse, and the plan is to make the whole thing easily movable from car to car etc.

The gimbal is kind of overkill in size, and I need to add three R/C channels to be able to control it, and unlike more fancy / pricey gimbals you really have to have R/C controls because there doesn't seem to be "stay at this position" simple button setting on this cheap gimbal.

This got me thinking - DJI makes really excellent camera gimbals (I have the original Osmo and Phantom 4). The new Osmo Pocket gimbal would probably be perfect for the DJI FPV camera in terms of size/weight and it's nice and tiny for r/c. And it would seem to me, that DJI could make the Air Unit able to control it, either from their transmitter or from the goggles themselves!

This seems like an easy win considering they already make all the parts necessary to do this. But DJI doesn't sell their gimbals alone. This is the one I'm trying to use at present: https://www.banggood.com/FPV-3-Axis-...p-1030046.html

I also am attempting similar things with an old Walker's g-2d. Will update if I have any success. Osmo would be great if we could control pan.
Nov 14, 2019, 07:29 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdream
Please DJI guy ! Come back and release the video feed hack ! I need it for an event this week-end !

Lol thats not that simple.
Latest blog entry: DJI Black Friday Deals
Nov 14, 2019, 09:48 PM
Jesus Freak
finally getting to the firmware update, then noticed that the instructions said don't touch the unit because it can get hot during update.

I'm going to do the 1.2W power upgrade hack and read about potential heat problems so I scrounged a heat sink off a scraped computer.

I haven't done the power upgrade but here's some images of the heat sink and the temp difference between the airunit and the heat sink

30F difference
Nov 15, 2019, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
finally getting to the firmware update, then noticed that the instructions said don't touch the unit because it can get hot during update.

I'm going to do the 1.2W power upgrade hack and read about potential heat problems so I scrounged a heat sink off a scraped computer.

I haven't done the power upgrade but here's some images of the heat sink and the temp difference between the airunit and the heat sink

30F difference
I've updated my four air packs with the recent firmware update and each one didn't seem to get that hot. They were all just warm to touch, not as hot as they got when I first registered them and uploaded the stock firmware.
Nov 15, 2019, 03:10 AM
Are these worth it ?
https://www.readymaderc.com/products...stubby-set-dji
Nov 15, 2019, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morb81
Price vs. performance wise, no.
Better go with some x air
Nov 15, 2019, 05:24 AM
Upgrade procedure sucks. The air unit is powered on and getting hot *the entire time* it takes for the download of the firmware to complete. So if your connection to their ridiculously slow download server is slow...you could have the thing powered on and getting hot for 20 minutes before you even finish the download! Then you have to wait another 5 to 10 minutes for the transfer of the firmware to the unit, and while the unit updates and reboots. One of my units was over 30 minutes to update because of this. After 15 minutes I went and got a fan and put it on my drone to cool it down. And I had to wait for the re-download all 4 times! Ridiculous. Download the firmware, validate the md5 hash that is good, cache it for a day or so. It makes updating drones *much* faster as the longest part for me was the firmware download. I've got a 500Mbit fiber connection...but its meaningless to their slow overloaded servers sitting who knows where.... maybe they will fix that issue in a new DJI Assistant version...
Nov 15, 2019, 06:12 AM
EU drones
Huh? Last time took me max 10 minutes. Not really hot units just warm. I have power limit on, maybe that matters.

Quick Reply