Sep 03, 2019, 10:06 AM
Nitro User
Hi RC Man,
Found his build thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...ize-glh-6.html
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 10:26 AM
I think Im gonna get me a glh, this version, I like a "penny" balloon with a rubber band around the fuel line for my tanks for these small .020's, no clunk needed and no pressure, 1oz seems to fly all day LOL
Sep 03, 2019, 10:48 AM
Nitro User
Yesssa Mel would do well for sure, plenty of fun with the TD .020!
Sep 15, 2019, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Two things: Rivets are prone to snaprolling in tight turns when the wing blanks the low tail out and aerodynamically “removes” it from the airplane, and it would require the manufacture of vacuformed canopies.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:40 PM
Nitro User
Not enough vertical stab with that short tail moment.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:13 PM
Pro Hoarder
Low tail?? Its a T tail design
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 16, 2019, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Low tail?? Its a T tail design
Yeah, I know.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:21 PM
Some one else was doing rivets kits a little while back, I built one. The plans called for the top of a 2L pop bottle for the canopy, worked great.

I'm in for a couple half-a blinks! I've always wanted to build one, but I would rather a laser cut kit.
http://dnu.ulmercom.com

who else wants one? maybe he will make some!
Sep 17, 2019, 03:43 PM
Pro Hoarder
I would bet the wing is why the rivets snaps..same platform as a T6 and they tend to also snap..usually roll to the out side of the turn..
Sep 17, 2019, 06:30 PM
Turbonut, I've been watching this thread for a couple of days, and thought about commenting on why the Rivets was prone to snap roll. I agree 100% with your assessment. I just didn't want to start an argument over "opinions" about aerodynamics. As you pointed out the swept leading edge of the Rivets, and the AT-6 Texan/SNJ, and even the DC-3 are the problem. In the 60's and 70's some of the Pattern pilots built swept wing models to look like military jets. The trend didn't last very long. Full scale aircraft are designed to fly in a straight line, with gentle turns, We "bank and yank" our models, especially our racers in a totally different flight envelope from their full scale counterparts. If you want to build a scale swept leading edge model then incorporate wash out, which will help with snap rolling, at the expense of more drag.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:12 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Doe
If you want to build a scale swept leading edge model then incorporate wash out, which will help with snap rolling, at the expense of more drag.
I agree, Greg!

The beauty of Doug's operation is that he can modify designs to make them fly better...i.e., add flaps, ailerons, rudder, washout, change wing config, etc. In the case of the Rivets, changes can be made to improve the design.

As far as canopies are concerned, my friend Keith Sparks @ Park Flyer Plastics can produce plastic canopies for Doug:
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...ain_page=index
Sep 17, 2019, 10:42 PM
Pro Hoarder
HI Greg,
I haven not flown a T6 that wouldn't snap if you pulled hard on the elevator in a turn..
Tony..Looks like a found a canopy for the HOB Dara and it will be going to Kieth this week
Oct 01, 2019, 09:42 AM
Skill Collector
Tony / Doug - any plans for making a balsa kit of the ACE constant chord and tapered wings available?

I am finishing up an ACE All Star Bipe build, and left it as a 3 channel rudder / elevator / throttle with the idea of building a second bottom wing with ailerons. Would love if I could get a wing kit with the ribs all cut! I know there is a UK company that carries these, but shipping across the pond isn't sensible for this.

Either way, the Barnstormer 250 kit is going on the workbench next - looks like it will be a fun thing to do with leftover multi-rotor motors

Thanks!
Oct 01, 2019, 11:21 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice looking bipe! what covering did you use? I have a few kits with Ace wings ..I need to decide how I want to cover them

Quick Reply