View First Unread Thread Tools
Sep 15, 2019, 07:40 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Nope -same problem. Sub operates normally for a short period of time then motor does not operate-all other functions are normal. if I cycle the ships master switch motor function comes back, for a short while. If I cycle the trans switch no change. I switched out the ESC, checked and rechecked/remade all connections...I cannot duplicate the problem on the bench-no water intrusion to WTCs , I'm thinking signal loss on channel 1-next step is dissemble again (not easy) and substitute another channel to throttle control.

Motor is free and smooth, connections clean and tight-when failed props were manually turned-thinking an open winding-no change..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 12:17 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I swapped the plugs for throttle and steering (which made for some interesting control situations) the problem stayed with the wiring, plugs. ESC and motor.. I tend to think that it is more like an ESC program incompatibility (happens on both ESCs and resets when ships master switch is cycled).I am setting up a cheap turnigy ESC to test.
Sep 16, 2019, 11:50 AM
The ESC might be thinking the battery is low. Also might try running the receiver on a separate battery to make sure the UBEC is not causing trouble.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:28 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I really don't think its the BEC-all the five other channels work to the bottom of the 6ft swimming pool-the radio has never skipped a beat except for the throttle and swapping the receiver plugs tell me that channel is good too. I thought it might be wet area connections and put all connectors and the ESC in a bowl of water on the bench-no failure-as I am typing this I just thought of a check I didn't do- I tested for total amperage usage dry...I did not check total amperage under load(wet)-I am running a Graupner 540 motor in a WTC driving brass gears (wet) and two shafts and props-although I can't imagine the amps would go from 5 amps to 50+ at a submarine's pace. And on these dinosaur ESCs LVC is 5v-I guess that's a possibility too
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:09 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Sometimes, I just don't know how I get thru the day! I have been looking at these watertight battery connections for years and they look great...today I popped off the cap and found this...It sure would be embarrassing and also great if schutzen was right about LVC. It tested full voltage under load but I'm hoping that with a little water the resistance goes up (wishful thinking) and the ESC shuts down the motor.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:09 AM
Hard telling with something like that. I have enough trouble with corrosion inside a wtc that I can not imagine putting electrical components on the outside. Great in theory but very trouble prone. Subs are trouble prone enough without the extra help!
Sep 18, 2019, 11:14 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
You'll notice that more and more,now a days, low voltage items are in the wet area-Servos, ESCs, SLA Batteries-I just did this one wrong(no grease)-and still not sure yet if that's the cause-could be just green (like Kermit)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Nope-It was not that...I waterproofed a Turnigy esc and substituted it and the problem was similar but not exactly the same-instead of cutting just the motor and not regaining the motor until the masterswitch is reset...the motor would just cutout and restart at 1 second intervals. I am going to chalk that up to the difference in what the manufacturer designed it to do. Something is triggering the ESCs...gotta be either water or EMF(long run to the motor in chlorine water)-If I don't figure it out soon this sub will become s dynamic diver!
Sep 22, 2019, 09:07 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Finally! I tested the sub in the pool and progressively lowered in the water with full throttle..when the water got to the drive line, gears and dogbone universals -it would quit. Pull that area out of the water and it ran again?! It turns out that the hydrodynamics of the drive line components with large setscrews (6) spinning in the water combined with excessive power caused a great overload that would stop the throttle channel due to a drop in voltage.(as mentioned in posts above) So I went out and bought short ss setscrews and installed so they were flush-Also I cut the available power down to 50% giving a more scale running speed and much less of that exponentially increasing electrical load. She ran Great!
Ronkonkoma09 22 2019 (1 min 20 sec)

I also got rid of that blue Proboat ESC-the darned thing would cut out on LVC and not come back on unless the master power switch was cycled?? What a terrible design for a boat-The Hobby King ESC (above) at least comes back on in about 1 or 2 seconds so you could limp home.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Sep 22, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:40 PM
Very nice Bob! I so enjoy the Gato running at periscope depth!
Sep 24, 2019, 05:24 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Now I have to learn how to drive-the Fwd ballast is on the r/h stick(elevator) and the aft ballast tank is on the r/h stick (aileron)-if I want to fill or empty both at the same time I swing the stick to the respective corner of the gimbal...It is going to take some stick time in type to get smooth transitions...Heck I am still getting used to running the jet drive ! (Mark V)
Today, 08:06 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Aft Tank Test

Testing and experimenting-I did away with the pressure relief check valves because the pumps were having a tough time overcoming the cracking pressure of 5LBs-I am using larger solenoids for more flow and more positive control. They are completely waterproof and are 12V but I am using 7.4V to actuate them ..and will be in the wet. The working pressure will be around the 7.5-10 psi range. This $8 low pressure gauge is pure gold!
PA200001 (0 min 58 sec)

Full to empty in a reasonable time-Also I found that these 90 degree solenoids(4psi rated) lock up at higher pressures so they can only be plumbed with the high pressure on the inline nipple. This way with a too high of a pressure and they leak back- a perfect safety...
I am also experimenting with a wet running brushless outrunner...when I get to tub or pool water checks I'll know if I am wasting time.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Today at 01:23 PM.
Today, 04:28 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Motor Test (0 min 24 sec)

Quick Reply