Aug 03, 2019, 10:46 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
This 10 amp UBEC is even smaller then the 5 amp unit that I fried-Note: the 10 amp unit is good for 7 amps continuously and the 5 amp ones are good for 3 amps..read the fine print!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2019, 11:39 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Thanks for the post-but David's horizontal snorkel valve sits much lower then what I wanted- the one he uses in the Sea Wolf kit is more in line with what I need, but wouldn't fit in the conning tower..
Like all of David's snorkel heads, you can change the length of the brass tube the head attaches to. I used on of his units in my USS MARLIN kit and added a longer tube for the float to ride on.
Aug 04, 2019, 12:37 AM
R & R Model Engineering uses a snorkel for their ballast tank.

RonP emailed me the operating principle- "the snorkel device is in fact a vacuum break valve and simply allows the negative air pressure within the ballast tank to equalise upon surfacing. The pump fills the ballast up to the horizontal baffle plate only and any excess is pumped out of the valve and the model can then submerge. When surfacing the pump is reversed and pumps out the water creating a partial vacuum with the ballast tank, once the valve breaks surface it opens to allow pressure to equalise".

http://www.rcsubs.co.uk/revellskipjack#
Last edited by redboat219; Aug 04, 2019 at 09:24 PM.
Aug 05, 2019, 04:23 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Yes it is..and someday I'll get there..I chose the COD because, in my mind it is the epitome of a WWII Gato class sub-with all the right accessories that matched the Taubman plans that I had and its number was the easiest to airbrush.
Good job! There aren't to many Gatos left.
Aug 05, 2019, 05:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thanks, Dll932...Here is the reducer that will bring the snorkel's throat diameter down to .035" and become the valve seat..
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 05, 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Aug 12, 2019, 04:05 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I tested the WTCs -and fixed some leaks that I didn't know were there...I guess air pressure out goes easier then water in...bigger molecules, duh! and tested the new master switch...check! Tested the snorkel in the vinyl sub base-it worked better then I thought, check!

I still have to do a radio walk/range check enough for today..
Aug 13, 2019, 08:52 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Did a range test today with the sub on the kitchen table-I made it outside with the antenna retracted, then went full antenna and started to walk(in the rain)...and walk..and walk and when I couldn't really see something the subs size clearly I quit-about 3 suburban blocks and cross one street to inside the house. That old Futaba seemed to be firing on all channels. Next is- " why don't get wet and trim" (homage to J.B.)

Remember doing range checks before cell phones? A whole lot of yelling happened..
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:47 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
My answer to the master switch-I used a "watertight" switch which isn't watertight unless the backside is in the dry area. So I dipped it 3x in flex seal and mounted it in the wet hull...access is thru the bottom mounted in recess so rocks and bouncing off the bottom won't shut the sub down-literally-the opening was where my gas filler was before converting to ballast pumps.
Aug 15, 2019, 05:46 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I bought some three way air hose connectors from the local Petco-and they did nothing but leak..inspection found that the parting line in the plastic , under minor pressure allowed air to escape-beware!

Ok, I'll make my own
Aug 15, 2019, 06:16 PM
ir3
ir3

Quick Disconnects

Bob, check with the vendors that supply air lines for retracts. You might find just what you need. Robart has some and there may be others.
Aug 15, 2019, 06:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Thanks!
Aug 16, 2019, 02:56 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
With all the little changes, it is due for a trim adjustment-and also it gives me a chance to hotwire cut the foam to shape-this also seals the foam as it melts..
Sep 05, 2019, 06:39 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Those old radios

Many model submariners are using 70 something MHZ radios from the '80s. I took my futaba apart and did an inspection-found this on the back side of the PC board...

...if left unstopped, either the radio shop or the garbage men will take care of it for you!
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Sep 05, 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Sep 05, 2019, 12:23 PM
Nice tips Bob!
Sep 13, 2019, 06:34 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
So I never could get my intermittent speed control to behave-after changing it out and reassembling it all-I plain ran out of time . I never got the sub wet (yes it was a picnic table Queen!) when I got home, ready to rip the guts out of it, I started with my own tips and suggestions..I pulled the receiver and took it apart...

BTW there was no fleet boat that made it into the water at Groton(that I know of) -shame

Quick Reply