Aug 15, 2019, 02:57 PM
The problem appears to be with the SPI RX based versions, not necessarily with the SPI RX itself.

The Larva-X is somewhat close in spirit to what I've been flying since July if not June. I've been flying with 2S, with D16, with telemetry turned off because BIG FREAKING DDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Probably at least 100 flights without the referenced problems.

The range is a little limited mostly because it is really hard to get correct antenna orientation (not "because SPI"), and that might the the biggest reason to go with the external RX.

Next one I (re)build, I'm going with the No-RX version and dropping an XM+ in.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 05:43 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Goat: +1 on the External XM+....... SPI RX range/ Antenna issue / Antenna orientation.... kills the fun for me.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla
The problem appears to be with the SPI RX based versions, not necessarily with the SPI RX itself.
You're saying a FC with built-in SPI RX would be susceptible to issues even when using an external RX?
Aug 16, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tun0
You're saying a FC with built-in SPI RX would be susceptible to issues even when using an external RX?
Sorry, that might have been a little misleading.

There is so much noise in the posts/reports about this, but it seems like if you disable the SPI RX and use an external SBUS RX, you should be OK.

But if you're going to do that, there doesn't seem to be much sense in having that stuff populated on your board and taking up very valuable real estate in the first place.
Aug 16, 2019, 07:24 PM
So just to be clear, there's no reason why not to buy the R-XSR Larva X? Just disable telemetry and it'll be fine, and get better reception than the SPI receiver?
Last edited by dralley; Aug 16, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 09:41 PM
The R-XSR receiver is an sbus (or fport) receiver, and it will a seperate board and be wired to the flight controller. You should be able to use telemetry just fine with this setup, but it (might?) weigh just a bit more.

The built in reciever that are already installed on the flight controller all communicate to the chip that is the receiver via an SPI bus. These types of SPI receivers have a known issue when using D16 and telemetry at the same time - the work around is to disable telemetry when using D16. D8 seems to work just fine.

What I don't know is if the PNP version of these flight controllers are a bit lighter because they don't have a built in receiver and surrounding circuity, and if so how much lighter?
Aug 16, 2019, 11:55 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit
On Xinte's original site, they have the new Crazybee F4 PRO V3.0 10A 2-4S boards in stock for $35/$36 + shipping. I usually use EPacket with my orders from them, gets here in about two weeks, and was just under $5. They have it in stock on their new QWinOut site too, and with their "Free" shipping w/o tracking comes out a little cheaper.

They're showing the Larva X in stock now too . . . but the better deal on that is on their QWinOut site . . . both show "add to cart"
Last edited by Brian_OH; Aug 17, 2019 at 01:58 AM.
Aug 17, 2019, 12:27 AM
I have a 15% discount code for qwinout (I have an affiliate account with them though I have made no commission on any of my referrals to them -weird!) they made for me to share with others: it's RISHI apparently though I haven't used, so I'm not sure it works.

I'd like to see a review of the rxsr and crossfire versions of the Larva before I buy one.
Last edited by Rishi; Aug 17, 2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Details re affiliate account
Aug 17, 2019, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi
I have a 15% discount code for qwinout they made for me to share with others: it's RISHI apparently though I haven't used, so I'm not sure it works.

I'd like to see a review of the rxsr and crossfire versions of the Larva before I buy one.
I know the discounts won't "stack" Just to see, on a little order I put in, I used their August 15% discount, and then tried putting Nigel's discount in, and it wouldn't take both . . . don't think it would have come to a buck, but wouldn't do it anyway . . .

Xinte emailed me about doing an affiliate on their new QWinOut from all the stuff I've bought off them the last year, but I thanked them and said I'd pass. All the links I post are just copy/paste from where ever I find them, and think it's a worthwhile deal, or hard to find item, and I don't feel obligated to pass along a "good word" even though Xinte is rock solid, and both they and JMT have absolutely superb customer service. I have no problem what-so-ever with anybody posting affiliate links with discounts, as long as they are up front about it like you're doing, and Nigel makes it very clear up front too. Always willing to help out the good people on here when I can, especially when I can save a buck too . . .

I thought those were the "outboard" receivers, and not the ones built into the Crazybee boards like my Frsky F3 & F4s, and they just put them on the boards w/o the built in receivers. They should work as good as getting a "no receiver" or PnP version, and putting one on yourself.

I really haven't had a "range" problem with any of my Frsky Crazybee boards. My usual course around the neighborhood front yards is about 2 - 3 driveways up and down, about 250'/300', and even go out a little farther at the grade school or the pavilion area in the park.
Aug 17, 2019, 01:03 PM
Quote:
I have a 15% discount code for qwinout they made for me to share with others: it's RISHI apparently though I haven't used, so I'm not sure it works.

it works

Cost summary
Description Price
Subtotal $95.00
Discount RISHI - $14.25 $14.25 off total order price
Shipping costs Calculated at next step
Total USD $80.75

And i can choose: Economic No Tracking (10-25 Working days) Free
Thats a damn good price!
Last edited by Askezonorway; Aug 17, 2019 at 01:09 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 02:19 PM
Updated last post to include affiliate details. I'm glad the code works although it is a shame codes don't stack ��
Aug 17, 2019, 02:34 PM
So, because I'm new to the hobby -- will the R-XSR version come with an antenna, or will they expect you to attach your own?

I just purchased and realized I didn't know what the typical story was, there.
Aug 17, 2019, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Updated last post to include affiliate details. I'm glad the code works although it is a shame codes don't stack ��
I know . . . if I could use their August discount, your's and Nigel's, and find someone else . . . they might be paying me to take one off their hands !!!!

₿ↄ}

With the 15% off from where ever, that still is a really good deal. The quad seems like it would be decent, and saw NIck's review of an early release, but he could make a blimp look good flying it . . . I don't think, again on another HM release, I could buy the parts for the price of the BNF Larva already together.

I've used Xinte's QWinOut a couple times and paid the extra $3 for a "tracking number" which I really never check, but that showed a little quicker shipping time than just the "Free" alone. Those came EPacket, like I use from their Xinte site. I ordered some more 2" Avan Blurs, and something else the other day, and just stayed w/the "Free" shipping, no tracking, and will see how long that order takes to get here . . .

Added:
dralley . . . it should come with the antennas attached to the receiver already and the quad ready to set up in Betaflight and go out and play.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralley
So, because I'm new to the hobby -- will the R-XSR version come with an antenna, or will they expect you to attach your own?

I just purchased and realized I didn't know what the typical story was, there.

Almost 100% sure it's like this:

https://www.banggood.com/FrSky-R-XSR...warehouse=GWTR

but it's not dumb to order some extra antennas
Last edited by Askezonorway; Aug 17, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 04:34 PM
Nick Burns review:
HappyModel Larva X - Toothpick or No? (10 min 26 sec)

Looks pretty positive. Wonder what sort of batteries I should get - Nick used the 3s 520 and Albert Kim used 3s 300

Quick Reply