Mar 16, 2020, 07:51 AM
I'm man like flight as a bird
What motors have you buy, a link please and said if good.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2020, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONCLEFLY
What motors have you buy, a link please and said if good.
I got them from AliExpress. They are just like the original motors except that they have a four-hole mounting pattern for M2 screws.

This obviously means that they'll be a little heavier but, I'll gladly take that weight increase if it means that they are more durable. I haven't flown my Larva-X since (probably) October because I got really tired of bending the motor base and/or stripping out a screw-hole almost everytime that it took a little tumble.

Hopefully, the new motors will be much more durable. But, I still haven't be able to get outside with them due to weather. AFAIK, the recent versions of the Larva-X (non-HD) have been coming with the new motors, as standard.
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Mar 16, 2020 at 08:11 AM.
Mar 16, 2020, 08:14 AM
I hope they're more solid and that they will not break the old ones, said to me after a lot of flight.
Mar 17, 2020, 12:50 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Flux
Nevermind, the 2S battery that I was testing it with has a bad cell. Tried another one and, the motors work fine on it. Ah well, at least I now have another 450mah 1S battery.
I'll have to see if I can find the link, but I thought I saw a 6 pack of 28 gram 450 1S batteries on sale super cheap . . . . ₿ↄ}
Mar 17, 2020, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OH
I'll have to see if I can find the link, but I thought I saw a 6 pack of 28 gram 450 1S batteries on sale super cheap . . . . ₿ↄ}
I know you are kidding but, I removed the bad cell. It now weighs 13.3g, with a BT2.0 connector (of course). Works great on my OG Tinyhawk.
Mar 17, 2020, 11:52 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit
Quote:
I know you are kidding but, I removed the bad cell. It now weighs 13.3g, with a BT2.0 connector (of course). Works great on my OG Tinyhawk.
You're right, but that was easy . . . those are premium batteries and never go on sale . . . ₿ↄ}

Definitely the "Eternal Optimist" with that attitude though. I've only tried soldering the leads back on some 1S URUAV Whoop batteries that were coming loose if you looked at them harshly. Seemed to work, but wasn't sure it would. I am getting a bit better and bolder with my soldering. Still don't like it, but now, do expect what I do decide to do to work right, and so far have been lucky. Still wouldn't try all the stuff you all do. I never would have thought about doing that and at least saving a battery. Nicely done !!

Hope you finally get to enjoy your reincarnated Larva again and it lasts like it should for ya . . .
Mar 17, 2020, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OH
You're right, but that was easy . . . those are premium batteries and never go on sale . . . ₿ↄ}

Definitely the "Eternal Optimist" with that attitude though. I've only tried soldering the leads back on some 1S URUAV Whoop batteries that were coming loose if you looked at them harshly. Seemed to work, but wasn't sure it would. I am getting a bit better and bolder with my soldering. Still don't like it, but now, do expect what I do decide to do to work right, and so far have been lucky. Still wouldn't try all the stuff you all do. I never would have thought about doing that and at least saving a battery. Nicely done !!

Hope you finally get to enjoy your reincarnated Larva again and it lasts like it should for ya . . .
I have no problems with performing surgery on LiPos. I do it all the time, even on much larger batteries. As long as you respect the cells and take all precautions to prevent a short, it is relatively easy. I do STRONGLY suggest that you become reasonably competent at soldering before attempting such things though.

LiPos aren't quite so easy to come by where I live. When I can get them, that usually comes with considerable shipping costs, even for small batteries. So, anything I can do to prolong their lives or repurpose them (or parts of them), I will do.

The weather is still showing no signs of easing here. And, by the time that it does, we may be in full lockdown. So, who knows when I'll get the Larva outside. I have a queue of other models that still need to be maidened.
Mar 18, 2020, 01:07 PM
Well, that lasted long...

First flight after upgrading to the v2 frame and motors... I hit a tree trunk, dead on. The front- right motor mount snapped clean off, the motor wires were ripped clean off the board (I had them direct-soldered) and, the motor flew away (presumably, with the prop still attached).

Found the quad at the base of the tree trunk but, after a 2-hour grid search, I still haven't found the motor. I can only assume that it flew up into the tree. It is a pine tree so, I'll probably never find it.

I guess I shouldn't have taken it out in 10 mph winds. Who know when I'll get it fixed .
Mar 20, 2020, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Well, that lasted long...

First flight after upgrading to the v2 frame and motors... I hit a tree trunk, dead on. The front- right motor mount snapped clean off, the motor wires were ripped clean off the board (I had them direct-soldered) and, the motor flew away (presumably, with the prop still attached).

Found the quad at the base of the tree trunk but, after a 2-hour grid search, I still haven't found the motor. I can only assume that it flew up into the tree. It is a pine tree so, I'll probably never find it.

I guess I shouldn't have taken it out in 10 mph winds. Who know when I'll get it fixed .
So the V2 frame not durable too !

the better take another frame 110 with good motor and put in FC and VTX Camera, you can have a good quad.
Mar 20, 2020, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONCLEFLY
So the V2 frame not durable too !

the better take another frame 110 with good motor and put in FC and VTX Camera, you can have a good quad.
Well, it was a bad crash. But yes, I'll probably put it on a different frame - that is an option now that the motors have the standard hole pattern (unlike the original motors).

I still need another motor though. Still haven't found it .
Mar 23, 2020, 12:33 PM

my Larva X HDver

larvax hd 20200322 BF setting and transmitter setting (9 min 22 sec)

I like it!
Apr 08, 2020, 04:36 PM
Glad I found this thread. Been having a blast with my Larva X but just the other day the onboard DVR stopped working. The red light is on but never starts flashing. I formatted the SD card and it creates an empty DCIM folder but it never creates video files anymore. Pressing the DVR stop/start button doesn't do anything. Any suggestions? I looked through the menus in the OSD as well as in betaflight and I don't see anywhere the onboard DVR could be disabled or enabled. The problem did seem to start around the same time I was messing with the PIDs from a review but I'm not sure if it was exactly then or not.

Here's the last vid before it stopped recording:
Happymodel Larva X acro mode (2 min 20 sec)
Apr 08, 2020, 06:41 PM
Nothing you do in Betaflight (OSD or the computer) can affect the DVR. You can try to flash the firmware from the Happymodel website but, it sounds to me that it's a hardware problem (some component on the board failed).

Make sure to try a different microSD card though.
Apr 09, 2020, 03:23 AM
Learning a lot slowly!

Prop/duct guard query

Hi all - I have the Larva X HD and love it

I often fly indoors so use the prop/guards or duct guards (whatever - I hope you know what I mean).

Unfortunately I have now bust one of these beyond repair.

I opened a ticket with Banggood and have had various email exchanges with them - they suggest I order the GEPRC 3" guards.

As these may be too big (although I stand to be corrected, but the Larva props are only 65mm = 2.56") does anyone else have any ideas on where I can get replacements from?

Many thanks in advance, Alasdair
Apr 09, 2020, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Nothing you do in Betaflight (OSD or the computer) can affect the DVR. You can try to flash the firmware from the Happymodel website but, it sounds to me that it's a hardware problem (some component on the board failed).

Make sure to try a different microSD card though.
I figured it wasn't anything in betaflight but it was worth a shot. I've tried multiple SD cards with the same result as well as flashing the firmware. The fact that I could flash the firmware using the SD card was one of the reasons I thought it might be ok in fact. Ordered a replacement Diamond VTX this morning because I really like getting the footage from the onboard DVR.

Quick Reply