This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 29, 2019, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

MG 800 Maiden

MG 800 maiden ( Sub 250 project ) (10 min 29 sec)

Flying weight = 240 grams
Battery = Nanotech 500mAh 2s
Motor prop = 5A maximum current
Most of the flight was 50% or less power ( I really did fly low power )
CG was around 70mm from LE - and that's to far back folks .
I have found a slightly heavier battery , brings flying weight to 246 grams .
CG shift ? ( ? ATM = battery is on the charger as I type this )

The wings are bent the wrong way . The roll axis is really sketchy , and the wings dip at will .
I spent so much time concentrating on keeping the wings level , the entire flight was a little sketchy as a result . ( CG did not help )

ESC Problems !
Yeah , too much servo action and the motor stops .. I am thinking this might be a UBEC issue , and when the servos pull too much current the ESC shuts the motor down . Not the fault of the MG 800 , but did not lend to a great flight experience .
I have other ESC's , just no bullet connectors for the ESC / Motor

CG -
Just tried it , and looks like the new battery pushes the CG about 5mm forward !
Yeah !!! Parking 5mm's .....
That's with the battery pushed as far forward in the nose as possible .
It might make a difference ..

Flight experience .
I can deal with a rearward CG , but the roll instability needs constant attention . It's hard to fly well when you are trying to keep the wings level . It really wants to roll left or right on it's own . If you watch the video , many of the turns were not instigated my me , but rather the MG 800 . Maybe 50% of the turns were decided for me . I like the weight ( under 250 grams ) , the wings suck hard ( really hard ) .

The MG 800 can fly slow , it really can . Unfortunately it becomes even more unstable . What the MG 800 needs is dihedral .. ( Desperately )
This plane is no trainer . Trainers need to fly hands off , and the MG 800 will fly right into the ground if you try that . The MG 800 really needs the pilot to constantly correct any roll .

How / What would I do different ...
The manufacturer needs to take out at least 20 grams from the foam bits .
Perhaps a lighter less dense foam .
Dihedral - Yes .... Cut the wing , fold it and give it some dihedral . Otherwise it will be too interesting to fly .

Horizontal Stab .. ( Elevator ) - PITA ....
Needs to be one piece ..
Current Horizontal Stab is stupid ....

Aaaaaargh! Stupid ESC ...

If I built another !
I would glue the elevators together ..
Cut the back of the plane so the Horizontal stab just slots in , and trim the rudder accordingly .

The wing , I would cut it's back and glue it back together so it has dihedral .
Would I bother trying for Sub 250 ? Probably not .
Just try for sub 300 .

250 Rule is STUPID - And come up with by MORONS . ( Stupid ignorant drop kicks )
If these Idiots did something intelligent ( if that's possible ) , make it a 500 Rule .
Anyhow , .....

MG 800 recommendation - Not for Noobs / beginners !
There are already much better options out there , Much Better !
If you are an experienced pilot , the MG 800 might make for an interesting challenge ! If you like being challenged .

If you dont like being challenged , ..... And you want to be under 250 ... Firstar 200 would be my No1 pick - Not challenging at all !
Looks like the Nanotech 2s 500mAh battery might be just right .. ( maybe ) Find out next time .

I have a few models I would like to re-battery .. ( CG shift forward a little )
Last edited by old4570; Jul 30, 2019 at 02:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2019, 01:59 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Good progress, old4570!

This MG800 looks like it has some potential.
Jul 30, 2019, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Good progress, old4570!

This MG800 looks like it has some potential.
With hindsight ! = Yes !

Right now it definitely needs a new ESC ..

I have several on order . ( 2A or better UBEC ) ...
A ESC that weighs a little more , well ... Wont hurt ( I hope ) .

Also a bunch of ESC / Motor - Bullet / Banana connectors ordered .

Might be time to move to another project for now , since I will be waiting for stuff again .

Best prices I have seen for the kit were on Ebay ... ( If anyone is interested )

Quick Reply