Jul 31, 2019, 01:49 PM
I prefer the Flash Gordon spaceships which dribbled sparks as Flash pursued the evil Ming—.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2019, 03:53 PM
B for Bruce
Speaking of Flash and the dangling space ships.....

Hardware Wars (1978) (12 min 55 sec)
Jul 31, 2019, 03:56 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Memory moment ! -

Saturday morning at the cinema when I was a kid, (early 50's) watching the Flash Gordon serials each week.

There was also King of the Rocket Men.

Jul 31, 2019, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Memory moment ! -

Saturday morning at the cinema when I was a kid, (early 50's) watching the Flash Gordon serials each week.

There was also King of the Rocket Men.

Ihave a vhs album ofthe Flash Gordon adventures.
Wife got em for my xmas years back
I have to play them on a 32” screen as the reolution is poor.
As kids,We had a saturday milk bottle cap admission theater which was the highlight of the week
Two serials, a few comedies including the irritating forest song ones and a talent contest
My sis and I won once, playing a clarinet , violin duet
we won $10.00
A small fortune then.
Aug 04, 2019, 02:50 AM
Orbital manoeuvring is pretty interesting. When they tried docking during the Gemini project the astronauts actually had to figure out most of the rendezvous manoeuvring on their own by trial an error. I'd suggest to try the game Kerbal Space Program for a reasonable representation of how to manoeuvre in microgravity. As far as rolling while or before turning, well, people can handle G loads better if they are applied in a specific direction, and it might help a fighter pilot get a better view of the target he's chasing. Probably not a concern in any real space combat, that is unlikely to ever happen in any visual range, but it helps justifying games and movies.
Aug 09, 2019, 03:05 PM
KSP fan here glad to see you mention it Brandano.

Scott Manly is also a good start to understanding the game and some basic/complex space orbital mechanics. Vintage Space also has some good videos with decent explanations.

Was it Neil or John or ?? who wrote the book on Orbital maneuvers?
Aug 10, 2019, 05:44 AM
I could be wrong.... (Again)
https://www.scribd.com/document/2515...rin-PHD-Thesis
Aug 16, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Yup, but for the more or less common scale stuff, the bank avoids the power robbing
skid
Historically , the bank to turn was one of the earliest discoveries around 1910
My pattern stuff from the 70s could be setup to be very neutral
Even the better Imac models were pretty neutral with little tweaking.
Earlier-- the Wrights didn't even have a rudder at first- I think Lilienthal also turned by banking--
Aug 16, 2019, 06:52 PM
Even birds do it...
Aug 16, 2019, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Earlier-- the Wrights didn't even have a rudder at first- I think Lilienthal also turned by banking--
If Icarus had only banked away from the sun————-
Aug 17, 2019, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano
Even birds do it...
Well, birds "can" do it .... depending on their translation speed (w.r.t. the airstream), same as with a heli-/multi-copter. That is, when hovering in one place or drifting motionless w.r.t. wind carrying the bird/aircraft along, it is possible to "pirouette" and axially rotate, obviously sans banking!

As a kid I used to slightly marvel at the smart family pet bird getting "boxed in" after quickly flying to the end of the foyer and then axially rotate (yaw!) with no horizontal motion to get out of the situation. And yes, hovering while maintaining altitude normally requires more power than fwd flight .....

Quick Reply