Sep 10, 2021, 07:04 PM
modellermark, this is very impressive!
1. Where did you buy USB extension?
2. Do you mean Ardupilot Mission Planner by Michael Oborne? What did you re-program?
3. What is your video and control range? I cannot get more than 400m
4. My gimbal is not always working (50% chance). Is it software issue?

Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2021, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogla
I can't seem to open the pictures. Will you put the youtube link if you've put something up about these procedures? I still have my old EX4 and if this could make it useable again I wouldn't mind putting in the effort doing it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
odd they won't open .. reposted as attachments for you - I haven't done the video as yet
Mark
Sep 13, 2021, 12:11 PM

All My Mods

Following from my earlier threads I have put together a video covering everything (I think) that I have done with my EX4 and if you view it on YouTube all of the links for everything used are in the description including the 3D printed parts, Arducopter thread, Mission Planner page and download, parts use for the USB adapter etc.

Attached also are my parameters downloaded from Mission planner (remove the .txt from the file name) - note that you should backup your own first and use these at your own risk - it still needs tuning and the descent rate is too high as you will see in the video ... I thought I had knocked something initially before a moment later I realised what it was.

The video covers lots including showing it flying with the new settings and on a 3S 2200mah lipo.

I hope it helps - more to do but a lot better now and so much scope to do lots with it.

Please "Like and Subscribe"

Happy Flying

Mark

Eachine EX4 Finally Flyable! - All of my mods and improvements - for JJRC X12 / CFly Faith too (34 min 52 sec)
Sep 13, 2021, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitik
modellermark, this is very impressive!
1. Where did you buy USB extension?
2. Do you mean Ardupilot Mission Planner by Michael Oborne? What did you re-program?
3. What is your video and control range? I cannot get more than 400m
4. My gimbal is not always working (50% chance). Is it software issue?

Thank you.
1 & 2 covered in my video (previosu post)
3 - haven't had chance to go to the field and fully test this yet
4 - mine is fine but I can "out run" mine with my settings now causing it to drop but it does recover.

Hope that and the video helps
Mark
Sep 30, 2021, 12:05 AM
2 weeks ago my EX4 was inches from a normal landing when it went up and started moving out of control. That's the bad news......the good news is that I was flying in a huge inflated dome and it can't fly away too far. It hit the wall and dropped not to far onto the "soft" artificial turf. Nothing was broke as far as I could see., but that was the last battery and it was time to go home
The next week at the dome, the EX4 lights up, dances and indicated it is ready to fly......but the motors won't start.. I found 4 screws in the battery bay but they aren't the 4 the video shows to remove the top cover. Now I know how to get it off.
Question; I will be looking for broken or disconnected wire on the motor circuit. Has anyone had this happen and can point where they found the motor problem?
Jim
Sep 30, 2021, 10:37 PM
After removing the stick n label from inside the battery bay, I saw and removed 4 black screws and 2 silver screws. The top didn't pop off. tried prying the top off but only the sides come apart. The ends won't unsnap. Apparently my 'magic words' don't work.
Oct 01, 2021, 06:58 PM
It took brute force, ignorance and an old Swiss Army knife to remove the top from the EX4 drone. A short check didn't show and obvious failure point for the motors not running.
Oct 02, 2021, 01:37 AM
Now the lights keep blinking and the dance never happens. No control response.
Oct 19, 2021, 11:40 AM
It was good to see that this EX4 site was still active!

I recently picked my EX4 up again and tried to fly it, but it would not light up. Turns out that the main 6 wire plug from the back power-on button became disconnected from the main board … bad solder joints I assume.

So I re-soldered it (actually took two attempts to get it right ... those 6 little pads are pretty close together) and at least my EX4 has power again.

Still flies pretty good, but my old gimbal issue is still there. Gimbal works just fine until I try a left yaw, then the gimbal will skew the horizon down and to the left and hold it there for awhile … or sometimes much longer which then requires a landing where it will straighten itself out.

I see that a few others on this board seem to have similar gimbal problems.

I did do one Modellermark's suggested mods and put the compass on top of the quad which really did help the calibration process quit a bit. A good calibration also improved flight and hovering performance (no toilet bowl).

Wish I had Modellermark’s knowledge and skills so I could figure out the gimbal problem. This would be a decent little camera quad if that gimbal worked like it should!
Last edited by Bulgonia; Oct 19, 2021 at 08:36 PM.
Oct 22, 2021, 10:21 PM
Also been busy and haven't delved into the innards. You've given me a starting point.
Nov 02, 2021, 03:59 PM
Found a suspicious flat black wire set that didn't look fully inserted. Everything looks very well made. Still doesn't work.
ON light begins dark blue but quickly turns a light blue. Indicated diagnostics running but never stops. No motor...no camera dance.
Nov 02, 2021, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
Found a suspicious flat black wire set that didn't look fully inserted. Everything looks very well made. Still doesn't work.
ON light begins dark blue but quickly turns a light blue. Indicated diagnostics running but never stops. No motor...no camera dance.
Jim
If you have the top off do some picturs of everything and post them so that we can take a look to see if we can spot anything.
If it doesn't do the camera thing at the start it isn't initialising so it is something early in the sequence or a compass / GPS not connected.
You could get the USB wiring set and then plug in into your PC and Mission Planner could tell you what it is failing on.
Doesn't sound like it gets far enough for your phone to connect to it to use QGroundControl.
A video may be helpful too?
Mark
Nov 03, 2021, 07:36 PM
It would have been helpful if they had labeled parts.
Probably would have been in Chinese
It will be a couple days before I can include the pictures.
Nov 04, 2021, 12:07 PM
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellermark
Doesn't sound like it gets far enough for your phone to connect to it to use QGroundControl.
Mark
Hello Mark,

I've got an EX4 pro, did similar mods to yours: moved the compass and the GPS outside, I put them on balsa wood plinths. Not as pretty or professional as yours, but it works. I also repacked the batteries with standard 1500mAh LiPos that fitted in the cases.

Question is, now I've seen your mods, I have ordered the connectors to make up the USB cable to use Mission Planner. But in the mean time while the slow boat brings them, I thought I'd try QGroundControl, to connect wirelessly. Have you actually used it with the EX4? I tried it and can't get it to see the model? I have tried it with my Iphone 8 and my Win 8 PC. I connect to both with the wifi no problem, but then the app is supposed to just auto-connect to the model...it doesn't! I enabled logging on the PC, and when I connect to the wifi there is absolutely nothing in the logs, no mention at all!

I also tried manually setting up a (UDP) connection on both, that made no difference,

Do you maybe know a "magic setting" I might be missing? Something I might have missed out? I know the wifi connection to the phone is OK, that's the phone I use when flying it.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 04, 2021, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrev
Hello Mark,

I've got an EX4 pro, did similar mods to yours: moved the compass and the GPS outside, I put them on balsa wood plinths. Not as pretty or professional as yours, but it works. I also repacked the batteries with standard 1500mAh LiPos that fitted in the cases.

Question is, now I've seen your mods, I have ordered the connectors to make up the USB cable to use Mission Planner. But in the mean time while the slow boat brings them, I thought I'd try QGroundControl, to connect wirelessly. Have you actually used it with the EX4? I tried it and can't get it to see the model? I have tried it with my Iphone 8 and my Win 8 PC. I connect to both with the wifi no problem, but then the app is supposed to just auto-connect to the model...it doesn't! I enabled logging on the PC, and when I connect to the wifi there is absolutely nothing in the logs, no mention at all!

I also tried manually setting up a (UDP) connection on both, that made no difference,

Do you maybe know a "magic setting" I might be missing? Something I might have missed out? I know the wifi connection to the phone is OK, that's the phone I use when flying it.

Thanks in advance.
I thought is was Auto too but it isn't

You need to be fully connected and preferably with the C-Fly App open and connected

Open QGroundConrol --- Tape the "Q" at the top left --- select "Application Settings" --- go to "Comm Links"

Select Add ... Choose UDP as the type .....Set the listening port to 10005 ... and the IP to that of the controller (or drone depending on your model) - usually 172.50.10.1

See section 123 omwards of the Ardupilot thread for more:
https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/c-fl...-etc/53245/125

Let me know how you get on
Mark

Quick Reply