Nov 21, 2020, 08:06 PM
Have a question.......I have the chip in the EX4 and tried it for the 1st time. However, I heard there is also a way to record the flight in the smart phone so you have a search tool incase the drone is lost. How do I make this work?
Viewed the DVR on the chip and it is not good. The camera is always slightly tilted....even at rest on a table. During flight, the camera pitch activated by itself. How do I fix these conditions?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2020, 09:23 PM
Well I’ve had my EX4 for about 6 days now. As many others have said, the most aggravating thing about it is trying to calibrate the compass.

I could be wrong, but the only two times that I actually had a successful calibration was when I finally had a good GPS lock on 8 or more satellites and the rear status light was a solid green. This usually took 5-6 minutes or longer after binding the quad and controller. I’d get tired of waiting so I’d take off in the Altitude Mode (blinking green status light) and fly around until the light turned solid green then switch to Position Mode. Now, if I’d want to calibrate it, I’d have to land and do it … a nuisance. Has anyone ever calibrated it with the status light blinking green?

Now frankly, the Altitude Mode was not too bad at holding a decent hover and the video I shot in that mode was really not bad. Just to test the camera's gimbal, I’d jiggle the quad around with the sticks and while you could see the quad was dancing around a bit, the video did seem to hold pretty still on the phone screen and also on the SD card as viewed later. So my gimbal seems to work ok as far as eliminating small quad movements. However, it does seem to lose the horizon level a bit as you yaw left or right and takes a few seconds to return to level.

But, when I could finally switch it to the Position Mode, that little sucker would kind of snap to attention in the sky and hold a pretty solid hover. Usually after a few minutes it would start a small toilet bowl circle but if you were up more than 30 yards or so (yea, I don't use meters) the TBC did not noticeably affect the video.

I still wonder why they made calibrating the quad dependent on a somewhat buggy app.

As suggested by modellermark, I do find the idea of moving the compass away from the quads other circuits interesting. I might just try that if I get aggravated enough. I have a couple of other quads where the compass or GPS chip was outside of the main quad body and those worked just fine and were VERY easy to calibrate too (with no app).
Nov 24, 2020, 12:23 AM
Solved the question about having a DVR in the phone.... Leave the chip out of the drone. Then the camera automatically reverts to the phone storage. Haven't tried it but reports are that the image quality degrades considerably.
Still no response as to a vector feature to show on the screen which way to come home manually.
Also still trying to figure out why the camera pitch drifts.
Found another thing in the manual which says the WiFi is only good for 200m. I'm wondering if my phone quality is the fault of the video latency?
Nov 26, 2020, 05:56 AM
Hello!
I have a problem with my drone EX4 Eachine. My problem is:
why doesn't the remote control communicate with the drone? It doesn't seem to be associated with the drone ...
As long as the text in the textbook comes pre-associated, I really don't understand why it doesn't work?
Is it possible that the drone does not connect to the satellite and therefore the remote control cannot control it?
Help me please!!
Last edited by Leontescu Ionut; Nov 26, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Nov 26, 2020, 11:23 PM
If you list how you are turning on the drone and controller, we can be able to tell you if we see something not right.
Last edited by Jim Petro; Nov 27, 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Nov 28, 2020, 08:52 AM
I made a short video with the start of the drone and the remote control!
Check the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XtR...CtTHRTwMh/view

Tank You in advance!
Nov 28, 2020, 04:12 PM
Your video opens but when I press the play icon, it says an error has occurred and try back later. The message alert also shows the message box like it wasn't saved or closed and is still open waiting for you to submit.
Nov 29, 2020, 12:57 PM
Leontescu ...

Linking the drone needs a certain order , follow this and it will work every time:

1) Switch on drone, blue flashing light on rear. Make sure gimbal & camera has clearance to move freely on whatever take-off location you place it. Do not touch the quad again until after the camera/gimbal does it’s little dance.

2) After the gimbal dance, switch on controller. After 30 seconds the blue light on drone will become green (flashing or solid).

3) Once green, it confirms link between drone & controller, then set your phone wifi to connect to the controller or drone.

4) After connection to mobile phone, open the "enjoyFly" app the drone should work ok now.

Also, to spin up the props prior to manual take-off … pull BOTH levers down and out at the SAME time.
- The auto take off will NOT work in GPS Mode (left controller light green) IF the quads rear light is flashing green … it must be solid green for GPS.
- The Altitude Mode (left controller light red) WILL work with the quads rear light flashing green.
Last edited by Bulgonia; Nov 29, 2020 at 01:37 PM.
Nov 29, 2020, 02:43 PM
Excellent instructions. I'm going to test this to see if this is will make the camera work properly.
Later.....
Just came back in from sitting on the front porch and flying the EX4. The controller mode is "position" or GPS. Both controller lights are green and solid. Let's start from beginning;
Drone switch ON and sitting level and stationary.
Wait until drone camera and gimbal stop "dancing".
Drone switch light is solid.
Turn ON the controller and wait for both lights to go solid.......in my case both green.
Pick up the drone and do the horizontal and vertical turns to calibrate the compass / gyro.
Set the drone down.
Turn ON the Android smart phone and connect to the WiFi and EnjoyFly APP.
First takeoff has to be using the down and out of both sticks at the same time to start the motors. Lift off quickly manually.
The auto takeoff/land button can be used as often as you want during a flight as long as the controller and drone have not been shut off.

The phone is strictly for the drone. I'm surprised that even turned OFF it is still drawing battery power. Need to recharge it before flying because so much battery has been drained even turned OFF. The camera pitch now seems to be working like it should.
Last edited by Jim Petro; Nov 29, 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Dec 01, 2020, 01:31 PM
Regarding the proprietary batteries and charger …

I’ve read several complaints that some EX4 batteries have been ballooning up and even breaking out of their plastic wrapping.

When I received my EX4, I charged the 1st battery according to the instruction manual and waited until the little red blinking light on the charger became solid green. It took a very long time, but I did not time it so not sure how long it took.

I decided to check the voltage with my VOM and it showed it to be 13.74 volts! That is quite a bit above a normal full charge of 12.6v. That may be the reason why some batteries are getting ballooned!

So now I do not trust the included charger for the EX4. But since I still need to use it to charge these proprietary batteries, I ignore the blinking lights and only use a timed charge on them. I have found that I get a very nice 12.6v charge by charging them for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours depending what my starting battery voltage was.

By the way, the manual also say’s “After the flight, the battery needs to be charged before storing” ... huh ???
I always heard that a storage charge of 11.2v (my usual voltage at the end of a flight) was good for a battery when it was not being used. Think I’ll ignore that manual instruction too.

Incidentally, I still have not been able to get more than 16 minutes on any flight. Yet another disappointment.
Dec 02, 2020, 12:10 AM
Interesting observations.
I will check the voltages, too
While I haven't timed the duration, it seems decent.
Dec 04, 2020, 05:14 PM

wifi 2,4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Hi. 3 weeks I have a drone "Upgraded Eachine EX4 5G WIFI 3KM"
In fact, the drone does not have 5GHz Wifi but 2.4GHz wifi.
I'm attaching pictures from detecting his wifi. Its wifi network is Ground-114518. Transmitted by channels 6 in the 2.4 GHz band.
https://prnt.sc/vvz4tb
https://prnt.sc/vvz5hd
https://prnt.sc/vvz6f2
Why? It is possible? How does this affect the range of control - distance?
So far, I've only flown carefully over short distances. I'm learning to fly with him. Please provide information.
Dec 06, 2020, 02:05 AM
That is an interesting question; I am reading the manual and it says that the WiFi is 5G....but....the maximum transmission range is 200m. this also gives maximum speeds. Doesn't make sense.
On the next page, the remote controller ( the radio transmitter) is also listed as 5G with a range of 1200m.
I watched a couple YouTube flight videos and the distance display went to 1300m before it did an auto return. The video was still working. In the others flight the video quit at about 1000m.
Dec 08, 2020, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdeno12
Hi. 3 weeks I have a drone "Upgraded Eachine EX4 5G WIFI 3KM"
In fact, the drone does not have 5GHz Wifi but 2.4GHz wifi.
I'm attaching pictures from detecting his wifi. Its wifi network is Ground-114518. Transmitted by channels 6 in the 2.4 GHz band.
https://prnt.sc/vvz4tb
https://prnt.sc/vvz5hd
https://prnt.sc/vvz6f2
Why? It is possible? How does this affect the range of control - distance?
So far, I've only flown carefully over short distances. I'm learning to fly with him. Please provide information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
That is an interesting question; I am reading the manual and it says that the WiFi is 5G....but....the maximum transmission range is 200m. this also gives maximum speeds. Doesn't make sense.
On the next page, the remote controller ( the radio transmitter) is also listed as 5G with a range of 1200m.
I watched a couple YouTube flight videos and the distance display went to 1300m before it did an auto return. The video was still working. In the others flight the video quit at about 1000m.
I was under the impression that the wifi to you phone (controller to phone) is 2.4 GHz and from the controller to drone (no longer visible in the "Pro" version) is 5GHz ... neither to be confused with 5G phone networks which s something else all together.
So the controller acts as a repeater ... but that is just how I understood it as you can no longer see the wifi of the drone.
Dec 15, 2020, 02:05 AM
I just received a new 72 channel 5.8GHz goggle. This should shed some light on what is meant by 5G. I will turn on the EX4, controller and smart phone and see the video on the smart phone. Then I will quickly turn on the new goggle and select automatic channel search. If the drone is sending a WiFi video, the 72 5.8 GHz channels will have nothing.

Quick Reply