This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 28, 2019, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Prop guard for Radian Motor glider

I was timing for a pilot during a recent Altidude Limiting Endurance contest (ALES). Most pilots were using the Radian motorglider and having trouble landing within the landing circle. Most were landing outside and getting zero landing points. The Radian has no flaps or spoilers so approach planning and touchdown is non standard. A random circling approach or a low fast approach is about all you can do. When you want to come to a stop you nose her in to the grass and hope that the spinner, prop, and motor are not damaged. Of course if you use motor you save your Radian but get a zero for the flight.

The stock Radian comes with a white plastic skeg that is about 1/4 high and protects the white foam from getting scratched. If the plastic supported a music wire skeg I think it would improve the concept of protecting the prop and also improve spot landings in grass and other runway surfaces.

The following pic and diagram shows the concept of the music wire skeg mod. I will be testing a main wheel and rudder wheel for maneuvering on the grass and hard runway with my Night Radian. Other ideas are encouraged and welcomed.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply