Jan 15, 2020, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Wright
Thx Sam. It is a 360 cam.
Does it have some kind of stabilization to keep the image upright in the turns?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 01:23 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnflyby
Does it have some kind of stabilization to keep the image upright in the turns?
A 360 cam records in all directions at the same time. This allows for many viewing options beyond pan and zoom such as rotating, gimbal, fixed, compass heading, etc. through editing software.
Jan 21, 2020, 05:16 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Just ordered up for the dual 4s LiPo powered system. I am assuming a servo reverser is required for the flaps...hopefully will be able to program one of the 85amp BESC's to a 6v output and pull the red power lead from the other.

This model has been on my wish list since it was first announced. ...much appreciate the comments and flight video's to confirm the model assembly and flight performance.

TwistedGrin
Jan 21, 2020, 05:54 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin
Just ordered up for the dual 4s LiPo powered system. I am assuming a servo reverser is required for the flaps...hopefully will be able to program one of the 85amp BESC's to a 6v output and pull the red power lead from the other.

This model has been on my wish list since it was first announced. ...much appreciate the comments and flight video's to confirm the model assembly and flight performance.

TwistedGrin
Hey there... I haven't had a chance to get my build video out yet, but I have a few tips...

A servo reverser is not required. Both flaps have dual options for servo configuration and control horns.

It has no reserve power on 4s. I'm going to upgrade to 5s or 6s with 3 blade props.

I use a LiFe batt for receiver power. The ESC BEC output is adjustable to 6v but only 5amps max load. The retractable gear draw nearly 3amps and each control surface servo draws .25amps with no load on the surface such as wind. It adds up to being dangerously close to having a brown out. I believe in the official MotionRC build they use a seperate BEC which is probably rated at 10amps or more.

I hope this is helpful info. You will certainly enjoy building and flying it.

Here's a vid from my second flight.
North American Rockwell OV 10 Bronco (7 min 14 sec)
Jan 22, 2020, 05:46 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Well foot.....I certainly don't want to skimp on this model....so the following questions.

When you use a separate LiFe battery:
1. Do you disable both ESC redwires
2. Do you just connect the LiFe battery straight into the receiver Battery port

Higher voltage motors:
3. I guess at least the 590Kv motors are what you are shooting for?

Props:
4. What 3blade props are you looking into?

Thanks in Advance,
TwistedGrin
Jan 22, 2020, 06:18 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
Well foot.....I certainly don't want to skimp on this model....so the following questions.

When you use a separate LiFe battery:
1. Do you disable both ESC redwires CORRECT!
2. Do you just connect the LiFe battery straight into the receiver Battery port CORRECT! (I do use an on/off switch in between)

Higher voltage motors:
3. I guess at least the 590Kv motors are what you are shooting for?

Props:
4. What 3blade props are you looking into?

Thanks in Advance,
TwistedGrin
I haven't had an opportunity to investigate what is available for props and spinners. I would like to have counter rotating props and spinners if possible. It might have some relation to what size motors I select in getting everything to match properly.

Glad to help. Its a great kit.

-Den
Jan 22, 2020, 11:18 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
One more question....I plan on running a single 6cell LiPo for the entire plane with the E-Flite Power 52 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 590Kv

But watching James on his build video's he said he was running 8s on those Motion RC Admiral GP5 4220-770kV Brushless Motor...surely he meant to say (2) 4s LiPo in Parallel?

I can't see running two 6s in series for this birds 590kv motors and stock props...it should be a Parallel twin batt set up if not a single battery set up correct?

I am trying to get ready to build my motor to LiPo cable and struggling a bit with the layout. So any comments are welcome

TwistedGrin
Jan 23, 2020, 12:22 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Quote:
One more question....I plan on running a single 6cell LiPo for the entire plane with the E-Flite Power 52 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 590Kv

But watching James on his build video's he said he was running 8s on those Motion RC Admiral GP5 4220-770kV Brushless Motor...surely he meant to say (2) 4s LiPo in Parallel?

I can't see running two 6s in series for this birds 590kv motors and stock props...it should be a Parallel twin batt set up if not a single battery set up correct?

I am trying to get ready to build my motor to LiPo cable and struggling a bit with the layout. So any comments are welcome

TwistedGrin
You're correct, James is using two 4s batts, one to each ESC just like mine. I agree, a 6s 5000mah or 6000mah would be a good match for a single battery operation.

Heres the thing about ESCs and extensions. Its bad to extend the batt wires to the ESC. Its best to lengthen the three output wires to the motors. I don't know how James had his special harness built, but when you extend the power side it involves capacitors and mathematical calculations to get it right.

Lengthening the output to the motor has no effect. Twisting the three wires eliminates noise. I used a piece of extension cord to make mine.
Jan 23, 2020, 12:26 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Just a reminder, you also need to consider how you are going to disassemble and transport this aircraft. The wiring needs to be accessible with connectors at obvious places.
Last edited by D_Wright; Jan 23, 2020 at 12:39 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:24 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
This airframe will be problematic for me in several ways:
1. Assembly space
2. Storage
3. Transport

I am thinking my transport issue will force removal of one nacelle and wing . I'll use ElectroDynamics, Inc. (OneClik MultiConnex 4) for that sides Rudder, Flap, Gear, Aileron.
http://www.electrodynam.com/store/102.shtml

Then fabricate a motor lead extension as you have shown. Found a video that, in very simple terms, explains why this is needed:
Can Extending ESC wires kill your ESC? - ESC Basics (7 min 9 sec)

I think even on the 4s set up.....rolling the dice - extending the ESC side from the nacelle's leads for the long term is not a long term set up.

Thanks for the electrical cord idea!

I need to receive this bird and start the assembly build ASAP....otherwise I'm not able to keep from engineering in my head all night.....I probably won't sleep well until this bird is completed, flown and dialed in for years of service - LOL

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Jan 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:29 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
This airframe will be problematic for me in several ways:
1. Assembly space
2. Storage
3. Transport

I am thinking my transport issue will force removal of one nacelle and wing . I'll use ElectroDynamics, Inc. (OneClik MultiConnex 4) for that sides Rudder, Flap, Gear, Aileron.
http://www.electrodynam.com/store/102.shtml

Then fabricate a motor lead extension as you have shown.

Thanks for the electrical cord idea!

I need to receive this bird and start the assembly build ASAP....otherwise I'm not able to keep from engineering in my head all night.....I probably won't sleep well until this bird is completed, flown and dialed in for years of service - LOL

TwistedGrin
I had a set of their connectors and it helped a bit. I can deal with the assembly issues but the storage and transportation has me scratching my head.

Mike
Jan 23, 2020, 11:01 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
I had a set of their connectors and it helped a bit. I can deal with the assembly issues but the storage and transportation has me scratching my head.

Mike
I am almost sure the wings, and Elevator will have to dis-assemble for my storage and transport. Hopefully the field assembly will be less time consuming than my 72inch Pica Waco with all 12 wing strut bolts in addition to the bottom wing assembly and wiring hook up. The Bronco will be an "All Day Flyer" since the assembly and dis-assembly is required - thus not an afternoon quickie bird!!

TwistedGrin
Jan 24, 2020, 11:28 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
I am hoping a single 6s 45c 5200mAh LiPo will work in this airframe......and provide good performance with reasonable flight times. I have ordered the 6s cabable E-Flite Power 52motors.

The FMS 1700mm F7F Tigercat flies great with the single 6s LiPo but its total weight is at or near 12lbs...wherease this bird will be at or near 15lbs.

Parallel dual 4s 5000mAh LiPo's should be 10,000mAh flight time...but the throttle loads eat all that up.

Has anyone flown yet with a single battery yet?

UPDATE - Well since D_Wright just posted his video below.....I might just stay with the Dual 4s LiPo set up!!

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Jan 24, 2020 at 01:23 PM.
Jan 24, 2020, 11:56 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Hi Guys, I finally finished my build video. It mostly describes the operational aspects of the components rather than construction and hardware. There are a few mods just for fun.

My AUW is 17 pounds. Flight time on 4s 6000mah x2 is about 12 minutes. I had to add a few oz of nose weight for CG, but very little.

Pro Fly OV 10 Bronco Build & Flight Review (15 min 47 sec)
Jan 24, 2020, 01:21 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Outstanding Sir......Marvelous !!!

Yes I have three question for you:
1. What power supply did you use to couple with that LiFe Receiver battery?
2. What motors did you deploy
3. Did you find the set up underpowered

Thanks in advance!!

TwistedGrin - received two big boxes 10minutes ago
Fort Worth Texas

Quick Reply