Jul 28, 2019, 02:13 PM
mcz-model
Thread OP
Discussion

Wich polishable gelcoat for molds have tgyed with success?

Hello

My new project for the winter is a Fox in 400cm wingspann fully molded.

I'm questionning about finding a good gelcoat wich can be polishable for have a max glossy.

I find the R&G gelcoat not enough shinny...

Someone has try the Rengel sw18?? Or anything else?

Other question. I'm using sealer and semi permanent release on my aluminium molds with 100% success and facility.
On the fox fuselage master, i would use the same products. Not wax. I hate wax😉😂😂
It's a good idea? Someone has tryed?

Fabrice
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 01:40 PM
UAS Test Pilot
I have very good results with the Ren Sw18 with the long hardener. Only problem is that it is a bit runy and does not like vertical walls. Polishing is very good.
Jul 30, 2019, 06:19 AM
Auzzie built planks
Hi fabrics

Rengel is ok and a easy to use good quality product and totally agree with speeds comments. So it’s probably the pick of the few I have used. Although I still find the fillers they use in “all” epoxy gel coats leave surface porosity...
I’ve had the conversation quite a few times over the years about what people call polish. We all have different idea’s on quality.
I guess I just see stuff , other people don’t . My bad. You for one , knows what it’s like to have aluminium moulds so it’s comparing apples and oranges when it comes to polished surface. Haha.

All in all it’s great and if your moulding a fuz plug that is not quite perfect , you will be able to polish the moulds a little bit. Although if you have to sand it and then polish it , you will expose unfavourable surface porosity.

On other thing to mention is as your doing a very large wing , it quite hard to do large area’s with out getting brush marks in the gel coat and join lines form one batch to the next.
Also as it’s quite thin i did have some problems eyeing , as the gel coat ran away from semi perminate release.
I used wax over the top of it to give it some surface tension.....which is common practice.

Maybe it worth using a spray on vinyl ester ?? Check out Sean’s deepened mould plugs I helped him with.
I sure you will be able to get that over there. Very easy way to go on such a big mould.

This is what I used.
http://atlcomposites.com/product/86/...04-045-Topcoat

Cheers

Tim
Last edited by timbuck; Jul 30, 2019 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply