This EDF upgrade is HOT!

Splash

Upgrade your EDF with this HOT afterburner that installs in minutes

Product:Lightburner LED Afterburner
Weight:32g single, 40g dual
Battery:3s - 12s
Price:$50 single, $65 dual
Available from:The Lightburner

Most jet pilots you run into are all about scale realism. The EDF jets released in recent years have come a long way in that department, despite being largely made of foam. They've got panel lines, cockpits, lights, retracts...but they're still missing something...the bright cone of fiery afterburner out the back! Well, fire and foam don't mix too well...but the Lightburner LED Afterburner comes close by adding a fantastic yellow-orange glow out the exhaust!

Ran Grumer, owner of The Lightburner, developed these units over a period of 4 months and now has afterburner solutions for a wide variety of EDF jets. With a super bright LED bulb array and a custom control board, Ran designed this to be one of the simplest upgrades you can do to your jets. Let's blast off and check it out!

In the Box

Included with the kit is the LED bulb in a custom 3d-printed housing, the light controller board with a balance lead, and a few zip-ties. The entire package is very light at 40g including the controller. Ran told me the single runs around 32g.

Assembly

There really isn't much assembly needed for this kit. The instructions come on 2 sheets of paper that include full-color pictures. Please note that your install may differ slightly depending on what aircraft you install the Lightburner on.

Once at the field, simply secure and connect your flight battery as you always do, then connect the Lightburner to the balance tap of your battery. Advancing the throttle slowly will calibrate the controller. The Lightburner is set to illuminate on the upper 1/3rd of the throttle range. Once calibrated, it's easy...take off and admire your new afterburners!

Photos

Summary

The Lightburner was a remarkably simple upgrade to install, and it resulted in a dramatic change in the air! The bright afterburner light not only added to the realism of those high-speed passes, but also helped keep orientation when the tail was visible. Plus, it makes sunset sorties a whole new set of fun! It was easily visible, even on a bright day. There is very little weight added by this unit, and the additional power consumption on your battery is minimal. Ran said the Lightburner will only use about 20 mAh during an average 4 minute flight with mixed throttle! The Lightburner is darn-near close to plug-n-play, very well designed and can fit in a wide variety of airframes. I highly recommend checking out The Lightburner and grabbing one for your jet! FLAME ON!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.
  • It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Aug 12, 2019 at 07:36 AM..
Aug 12, 2019, 10:31 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
looks cool... but curious if there is measurably less thrust considering you are disturbing the airflow when coming past those lights.

I look forward to hearing as more people gain experience with this unit.
Aug 12, 2019, 11:13 AM
The Lightburner
Thanks Nikolei for your awsome review!
Here are few pictures (pics credit goes to @Borntoolate) of the Lightburner from the past weekend:
Aug 12, 2019, 02:24 PM
100% electric since 1990
Can I order one without a myface account?

(I'm not being coy- rcgroups won't let me use the correct name of the social media company)
Aug 12, 2019, 02:37 PM
The Lightburner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
Can I order one without a myface account?

(I'm not being coy- rcgroups won't let me use the correct name of the social media company)
You can PM me for details
Aug 12, 2019, 03:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
phacebook
Aug 12, 2019, 04:57 PM
What model F15 is that?
Aug 12, 2019, 05:26 PM
JohnVHRC
awesome
Aug 12, 2019, 07:05 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCS
What model F15 is that?
Its the Freewing 90mm
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Aug 12, 2019, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
looks cool... but curious if there is measurably less thrust considering you are disturbing the airflow when coming past those lights.

I look forward to hearing as more people gain experience with this unit.
Anytime you put something in the ducting there will be a loss for sure. Just curious to see how much as well....
Aug 12, 2019, 08:24 PM
The Lightburner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
Its the Freewing 90mm
Nikolei, was there any noticeable thrust reduction with the Lightburner installed?
Aug 12, 2019, 11:53 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
I have personally seen these in action and I am impressed! Great product design, Ran!
Aug 13, 2019, 10:58 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
Anytime you put something in the ducting there will be a loss for sure. Just curious to see how much as well....
As I was taking the photos for the review, and the day was growing short, I didn't get a chance to fly it myself yet. However it didn't seem to fly any different or slower than previous sorties. I'm guessing the effect is pretty minimal.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Aug 13, 2019, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
As I was taking the photos for the review, and the day was growing short, I didn't get a chance to fly it myself yet. However it didn't seem to fly any different or slower than previous sorties. I'm guessing the effect is pretty minimal.
Thanks for reporting back! It looks really good for sure!
Aug 13, 2019, 11:58 AM
The Lightburner
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek
I have personally seen these in action and I am impressed! Great product design, Ran!
Thanks for your support Karl!!

Quick Reply